PSU replacement fan

qetip

Hello everyone,

I've been looking to replace the psu fan that is in my Raider RA750.
The warranty is long expired, so no worries in that part.
The fan started to make too much noise. At first I was able to simply give it a little bump and it would stop, but now even that is not helping.

Fan included is a 120mm, 2-pin, DC fan, 12V, 0.30A, model YL D12SH-12

I've researched online and many sources said its best to put a high static pressure fan, because it needs to generate enough air flow from small gaps, which seems logical. But they also say that they generally make lots of noise. So I would like to find a proper replacement that is silent too.

I asked in the local shops, and they said they didn't have anything like that.
So I will have to order one online. But which is the best one to get I have no idea.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, please change to auto format for night theme users. Second, don't open your PSU unless you fully understand how to handle potentially deadly mains circuits. other than that, the really important part is the actual fan size, not so much the power or specific model. Make sure the fan you buy as a replacement can fit where the old one did. search for fan pinouts and ignore the tacho wire. Connect vcc to vcc and gnd to gnd and you should be good to go.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

The fan size is 120x120x25

What does vcc and gnd mean? are those like the plus and minus pins?

I'm sorry, it's my first time opening a psu.

Also I'd like to mention again, the connector is 2-pin and I can't find any 2pin fans on the web.

Can you send me a link of ebay or such, where I can buy a proper replacement fan.

I don't want to get something that won't be able to cool the components inside well enough, and after a while the psu to die.

thanks.

Again, if you are not familiar with power electronics, I would discourage you to go poking around a PSU. That being said, fans can have 2, 3 or 4 pins. Fans with 2 pins will only have power (vcc, or as you call it "plus") and ground (gnd, or as you call it "minus"). Fans with 3 pins will also have vcc and gnd, the third pin is a tachometer which indicates how fast the fan is spinning. For a PSU this third pin is normally ignored, so you only have to connect vcc and gnd. You can buy any 3 pin 12V dc fan and it will spin if you provide it with power.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

What I initially asked was that I needed a replacement fan for the PSU. I have read that it needs to be static pressure, but does it really? Can I get any fan (that would fit ofcourse), or do I need to find one that has around the same CFM as the yate loon one (88cfm)?

That is what I need to know. And if someone can link me to ebay or somewhere where I can get one that is capable of cooling the components in the psu.

thanks.