lil bro's Desktop

Hi guys

I'm planning to build a destop for my lil brother.

Just checking out if you guys think this is a good gaming/streaming desktop?

Keep in mind he's about to turn 15 so i don't want to go overpowered.

Mybe you guys could suggest a beter build around the same pricetag.

pcpartpicker link:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mnPvkT

Thx for your time and i'll keep you guys updated when i start building the system

Greeting LotharSoul

I would go for a 2TB hard drive.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

You don't need that high of a wattage psu. Maybe get something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1 Other than that I would get more than a 500gb ssd or a 2TB hdd like Jamiec said. 

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

This is considered not overpowerd?I know im 13 and I have like a epic build but at least I have a really good reason.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H7fVTH

I guess he only considers  6950x and 1080ti's in sli overpowered idk. 

Check out my HTPC build.

If he's 15 and dosen't make a living of streaming then I might want to get like a 1070 and give him the rest for you know games to stream

My life

1 minute ago, Stevoisboss said:

You don't need that high of a wattage psu. Other than that I would get more than a 500gb ssd or a 2TB hdd like Jamiec said. 

Yes true.

I've changed the hdd to a Seagate Barracuda 2TB.

SSD is for faster booting up, so it's only for window.

And psu is just "future proof" for a more demanding video card or a cpu water cooler.

1 minute ago, lotharSoul said:

Yes true.

And psu is just "future proof" for a more demanding video card or a cpu water cooler.

A aio takes what 25w?You can put games on a ssd too for faste booting up.And you do realize that video card power consumption is going down right

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

If he's 15 and dosen't make a living of streaming then I might want to get like a 1070 and give him the rest for you know games to stream

This is the budget he got for building one so it's np.

I call it high-end not OP.:P

Just now, lotharSoul said:

Yes true.

128GB isn't big enough to invest in imo

You're psu has rgb and thats the only reason you probably want it. Gpu's and cpu's will only get more efficient so there is no point in getting a power supply that big unless you are seriously considering sli which you aren't since you don't want it to be overkill. Even then you aren't pulling more than 600W even if you have 1080ti's in sli. 

Check out my HTPC build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CD62NN

Saved money, made it better.

SSD is bigger, better.

HDD is bigger. 

PSU is lower wattage and much cheaper. You don't need to "future proof" (STUPID TERM) your PSU. Graphics cards are only getting more efficient, and CPU water coolers barely use any power at all. If you'd like, the 650w version of the G2 is not much more expensive, but has more outputs.

Changed 1700 for 1600x. They perform very similarly, even while streaming, but the 1600x is cheaper. Will use less power and generate less heat.

If you'd like, you could take these savings here and get a better, prettier CPU cooler.

I used to be quite active here.

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

A aio takes what 25w?You can put games on a ssd too for faste booting up.And you do realize that video card power consumption is going down right

yes i know its true but if you compare the gtx 1080 with the TI it went up in power consumption.

And i look at it this way Game loading time < Graphics

4 minutes ago, lotharSoul said:

yes i know its true but if you compare the gtx 1080 with the TI it went up in power consumption.

650W is fine for 1080ti's in sli. Don't post here if you want to argue with everyone. If you don't want to listen to advice then don't waste other people's time. 

Check out my HTPC build.

5 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CD62NN

Saved money, made it better.

SSD is bigger, better.

HDD is bigger. 

PSU is lower wattage and much cheaper. You don't need to "future proof" (STUPID TERM) your PSU. Graphics cards are only getting more efficient, and CPU water coolers barely use any power at all. If you'd like, the 650w version of the G2 is not much more expensive, but has more outputs.

Changed 1700 for 1600x. They perform very similarly, even while streaming, but the 1600x is cheaper.

Ofcourse i took it for the RGB just to spice it up.

And because it isn't a bad PSU but the bigger ssd is nice mybe il take the psu.

Thx for the info but probably staying with the 1700 though.

10 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I thought the 1700 came with the wraith max? Is an H7 any better/quieter?

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

2 hours ago, lotharSoul said:

Ofcourse i took it for the RGB just to spice it up.

And because it isn't a bad PSU but the bigger ssd is nice mybe il take the psu.

Thx for the info but probably staying with the 1700 though.

Staying with the 1700 is fine, it'll just cost you more money. If your budget is something like $1400, then I wouldn't worry about adding it back. :)

I thought the 1700 came with the wraith max? Is an H7 any better/quieter?

The H7 will cool better and be quieter than the Wraith MAX.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Kobathor said:

The H7 will cool better and be quieter than the Wraith MAX.

Good to know, thanks!

Just now, Stevoisboss said:

stock cooler's are always worse than aftermarket generally speaking. 

The max is far better than, for instance, an lga stock cooler. Your point stands however.

2 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

650W is fine for 1080ti's in sli. Don't post here if you want to argue with everyone. If you don't want to listen to advice don't waste other people's time. 

Don't wanne waste anyones time.

Not trying to argue but in the end i'll except some suggestion and i'll decline some.

Anyway sorry for wasting your time, have a nice day.

1 hour ago, lotharSoul said:

Keep in mind he's about to turn 15 so i don't want to go overpowered.

And yet you have a very expensive build with ludicrously overboard components. Get him a $800 sweet spot build that's the perfect combination for 1080p 60FPS gaming, and will be for quite some time.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.55 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: MSI B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($113.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA SU800  128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($48.98 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB PULSE Video Card  ($228.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Zalman R1 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.90 @ Newegg) 
Total: $804.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-24 18:54 EDT-0400

1 hour ago, Stevoisboss said:

unless you are seriously considering sli which you aren't since you don't want it to be overkill. Even then you aren't pulling more than 600W even if you have 1080ti's in sli. 

The motherboard doesn't support SLI anyway. However, SLI 1080Ti's will definitely use more than 600W. Unless you're talking about GPUs alone? In which case, I'm pretty sure SLI 1080Ti's will pull around 600W.

1 hour ago, lotharSoul said:

What? The 1080Ti never "went up in power consumption"? It's a cut down Titan Xp. The GTX 1080 is a different chip, entirely. That's like saying, oh but if you look at the GTX 1050, the GTX 1080 went up in power consumption so obviously I need 1000W for just in case in the future. In the last several years, there have been barely any(if any) single GPU systems that truly needed more than 500W. A good quality 500W PSU is MORE than enough for any single GPU system you build, including a 1080Ti. That PSU is stupid trash anyway, get an EVGA G2 or G3.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($317.66 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($374.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1155.61

**Forgot the SSD, definitely get an SSD with this. Obviously. Get an 850 EVO. If Crucial MX300 is significantly less expensive than the 850 EVO, get an MX300 instead. 250GB/275GB at least, but aim for a 500GB/525GB if possible.**

GTX 1070 since you've not mentioned what monitor is being used. 1440p60 or below, no need for a GTX 1080. For 1080p144 or 1440p above 60Hz, sure, go for a 1080. For 1080p60, even a GTX 1070 is overkill. Grab an EVGA 650W or 750W G2/G3 if you want SLI support. I included a significantly better/nicer case. Plus it even has LEDs, so no need for that crappy PSU now.

Edited by Sanctorum
Forgot SSD

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

1 minute ago, Sanctorum said:

The motherboard doesn't support SLI anyway. However, SLI 1080Ti's will definitely use more than 600W. Unless you're talking about GPUs alone? In which case, I'm pretty sure SLI 1080Ti's will pull around 600W.

What? The 1080Ti never "went up in power consumption"? It's a cut down Titan Xp. The GTX 1080 is a different chip, entirely. That's like saying, oh but if you look at the GTX 1050, the GTX 1080 went up in power consumption so obviously I need 1000W for just in case in the future. In the last several years, there have been barely any(if any) single GPU systems that truly needed more than 500W. A good quality 500W PSU is MORE than enough for any single GPU system you build, including a 1080Ti. That PSU is stupid trash anyway, get an EVGA G2 or G3.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($317.66 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($374.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1155.61

GTX 1070 since you've not mentioned what monitor is being used. 1440p60 or below, no need for a GTX 1080. For 1080p144 or 1440p above 60Hz, sure, go for a 1080. For 1080p60, even a GTX 1070 is overkill. Grab an EVGA 650W or 750W G2/G3 if you want SLI support. I included a significantly better/nicer case. Plus it even has LEDs, so no need for that crappy PSU now.

We where talking about "future gpu's" do you know the power consumption of the new vega's from amd or mybe some upcoming nvidias? do you like to buy a new psu's every 2 years? i can agree you're against RGB for the right reasons.

He has a 4k acer monitor idk which type i don't know.

We where talking about "future gpu's" do you know the power consumption of the new vega's from amd or mybe some upcoming nvidias?

Do you?

do you like to buy a new psu's every 2 years?

Are you going to replace the GPU within 2 years? Are you going to replace it with something ridiculously high end in the future, like SLI x80Ti GPUs? I guarantee you that even Vega, single GPU won't need anything more than 500-550W. I'll be surprised if single highest end Vega 10 pulls more than 500W, full system.

3 minutes ago, lotharSoul said:

He has a 4k acer monitor idk which type i don't know.

I thought he was 15 and didn't want to "go overpowered"?

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

2 minutes ago, Sanctorum said:

Do you?

Are you going to replace the GPU within 2 years? Are you going to replace it with something ridiculously high end in the future, like SLI x80Ti GPUs? I guarantee you that even Vega, single GPU won't need anything more than 500-550W. I'll be surprised if single highest end Vega 10 pulls more than 500W, full system.

I thought he was 15 and didn't want to "go overpowered"?

gtx 1080ti doesn't improve game performance in sli so no i would not build it or rebuild it that way.

but when i improve the gpu i rather have a to high psu wattage then a to low or "just enough".

I got 3 psu in the last 4 years because of 2 rebuilds so the last one i bought was a hx1000i so im done with buying psu's and the fans do not spin at all.