windows key bound to mobo?

Tiwaz

Is a windows 10 key, no matter if OEM or standard, bound to the motherboard, so i can do an easy fresh installation?

On newer OEM systems, yes. But Google how to find it with CMD, and write it down, just for safety's sake. 

EDIT:

Like so:

Find Windows Product Key

It is to be noted that a Retail product license is tied to the person whereas the OEM product key is tied to the machine, as per Microsoft Windows Desktop licensing terms. In this post, we will see how to find the original Windows Product Key using Command Prompt or PowerShell, from BIOS or Registry. It works for Retail & OEM licenses too.

Recover Windows product key using Command Prompt

oem-key-windows

From the WinX Menu in Windows 10 / 8.1, open an elevated command prompt window, type the following command and hit Enter:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Your Windows product key will be displayed.

Full link: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-windows-product-key

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I believe Windows 10 is tied to a Microsoft account. Either way, I gave reinstalled windows 10 countless times on oem laptops and custom pcs without any issue. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

If you're not changing motherboard you don't need to worry about your key at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

On newer OEM systems, yes. But Google how to find it with CMD, and write it down, just for safety's sake. 

EDIT:

Like so:

Find Windows Product Key

It is to be noted that a Retail product license is tied to the person whereas the OEM product key is tied to the machine, as per Microsoft Windows Desktop licensing terms. In this post, we will see how to find the original Windows Product Key using Command Prompt or PowerShell, from BIOS or Registry. It works for Retail & OEM licenses too.

Recover Windows product key using Command Prompt

oem-key-windows

From the WinX Menu in Windows 10 / 8.1, open an elevated command prompt window, type the following command and hit Enter:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Your Windows product key will be displayed.

Full link: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-windows-product-key

No you do not need to do any of this with windows 10.

If you want to change your motherboard without windows becoming deactivated then you need to do this: https://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc’s-hardware/

All it takes is a microsoft account, you do not ever need to look or write down a key.

PS- there is no difference between retail and OEM.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No you do not need to do any of this with windows 10.

If you want to change your motherboard without windows becoming deactivated then you need to do this: https://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc’s-hardware/

All it takes is a microsoft account, you do not ever need to look or write down a key.

PS- there is no difference between retail and OEM.

I know you don't need to, but I like to get it, just in case the install screws up something. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

23 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

-snip-

the command does nothing in cmd or windows key + R  thingy...thoe if i reainstall it on this mobo with the right key, it will work. It would be nice if you could help me find it. I might be able to find the original key somewhere in all the PC junk i have lying around

Just now, Tiwaz said:

the command does nothing in cmd or windows key + R  thingy...thoe if i reainstall it on this mobo with the right key, it will work. It would be nice if you could help me find it. I might be able to find the original key somewhere in all the PC junk i have lying around

Did you run CMD as an admin?

Main PC 

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Did you run CMD as an admin?

yes, didnt work, but i added the key to my account successfully. So when i switch out mobo and cpu and reinstall windows, i can just login with my account or will it ask for my key?

4 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

yes, didnt work, but i added the key to my account successfully. So when i switch out mobo and cpu and reinstall windows, i can just login with my account or will it ask for my key?

It shouldn't ask you for anything if the key is bound to your mobo. 

EDIT: 

Just remembered that it takes a bit to find it form CMD. How long did you wait?

Main PC 

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

It shouldn't ask you for anything if the key is bound to your mobo. 

EDIT: 

Just remembered that it takes a bit to find it form CMD. How long did you wait?

well afterwards it instanntly just gave me a new line to enter something

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

well afterwards it instanntly just gave me a new line to enter something

Oh. Are you sure you typed it in right? Maybe Microsoft killed it in an update or something.

Main PC 

58 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I know you don't need to, but I like to get it, just in case the install screws up something. 

If the "install screws up or something" you still don't need the key...

The only time a key is needed is when changing motherboards.

And even then if you linked your Windows 10 copy to a microsoft account all you need to do is long in with your account, you never have to use the key.

Spoiler

Retail keys (the ones that come with a USB drive to install windows) can be moved from one computer to another (as long as the original install is removed from the other computer), OEM keys can't but probably like with upgrades it should be flexible when it comes to replacing the motherboard due to failure.