The Beggars' Build

Hello,

For context: My soul has been dead for a while and have finaly came back to Lord Gaben's light

(I started gaming on an xbox 360)

I just brought an used PC, and it probably coud use of some upgrades and i would like to know wich one is the priority in your opinion. ( Better Performance / Cost being the objective)

Here are the Specs:

Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 7x333

Stock Intel Cooler

Asus P5KPL-AM Motherboard

4GBs of RAM (2x2GB @ 800MHz)

XFX Radeon HD4830 512MB of VRAM (how times have changed)

Basic Case

S#!+tastic 500W PSU

It was the best deal i could find where i live (Brazil), 120 USD equivalent.

I Intend on playing not so demanding titles such as TF2, L4D2, CS:GO, Rocket League and such.

Thanks in advance.

Better cooler (to OC), more RAM, and maybe a GPU upgrade.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1: PSU

2: GPU

3: CPU(LGA 771 to LGA 775 mod if possible)

4: CPU cooler

5: platform upgrade

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Add more RAM

Get a power efficient still powerful GPU like 1050TI

Get a decent CPU cooler

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Better cooler (to OC), more RAM, and maybe a GPU upgrade.

Overclocking on a G31 chipset board and that CPU will be garbage, cooler is a waste untill he gets a better CPU that needs the cooling

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Save money from now and get a better built in future. I think this build is fine for most older games.?

Get a cheap non no-name power supply from evga or a different manufacturer, use http://www.orionpsudb.com/ or http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html and 

you'll find good ones on those, it doesn't have to cost more than 30 dollars. Get a cheapo graphics card like a gtx 660 ti for max 40 bucks or a r7 260x for like 35 bucks, generally you'll find some good one if you just look long enough on craigslist or ebay (look at recently added). You could also go for a RX460 which is kind of a good deal with the warranty and all.

First thing I'd do is go buy a new PSU. The EVGA 80+ units will do in a pinch, but an S12II or CXM would be better.

Your motherboard only has two RAM slots, so you're kind of boned there. 4GB DIMMs of DDR2 are way, way overpriced because they're becoming rare. Consumer-grade ones, that is. 4GB is about the best you can do, and going for DDR2-1066 would just be an expensive exercise in not really improving performance.

An HD 5850 or similar GPU can be found on the cheap and would make for a solid improvement. Something like a 750 Ti, 950, 1050, R7 370 or RX 460 would make a much bigger difference, but be more expensive. Anything higher-end than a 1050/460 would be wasted performance.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I suggest getting a better GPU for now like a RX550, RX560 or gtx1050/1050ti and start saving money for a new build.

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

First thing I'd do is go buy a new PSU. The EVGA 80+ units will do in a pinch, but an S12II or CXM would be better.

Your motherboard only has two RAM slots, so you're kind of boned there. 4GB DIMMs of DDR2 are way, way overpriced because they're becoming rare. Consumer-grade ones, that is. 4GB is about the best you can do, and going for DDR2-1066 would just be an expensive exercise in not really improving performance.

An HD 5850 or similar GPU can be found on the cheap and would make for a solid improvement. Something like a 750 Ti, 950, 1050, R7 370 or RX 460 would make a much bigger difference, but be more expensive. Anything higher-end than a 1050/460 would be wasted performance.

If he wants to get 2x4 i can sell him it but actually the dimms look pretty cheap on ebay.

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

If he wants to get 2x4 i can sell him it but actually the dimms look pretty cheap on ebay.

The cheap ones are ECC Registered memory or designed for AMD chipsets specifically. Standard, unbuffered, consumer desktop-grade 4GB DDR2 DIMMs are artificially pricey for the same reason X58 motherboards are: they're dying off, and no new ones are hitting the market to replace them.

That said, PM me please. I have a build that has an MSI G41M4-L board in it and overclocks like a dream, and I'm mildly curious to see what it could do with 8GB of RAM instead of 4.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The cheap ones are ECC Registered memory or designed for AMD chipsets specifically. Standard, unbuffered, consumer desktop-grade 4GB DDR2 DIMMs are artificially pricey for the same reason X58 motherboards are: they're dying off, and no new ones are hitting the market to replace them.

That said, PM me please. I have a build that has an MSI G41M4-L board in it and overclocks like a dream, and I'm mildly curious to see what it could do with 8GB of RAM instead of 4.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-2x4GB-Memory-RAM-Compatible-with-Dell-PowerEdge-1800-DDR2-PC3200-B47-/272314034946?hash=item3f672e6b02:g:vCUAAOSwCGVX~oVP 

This looks cheap. I can PM you about my sticks if you want. Although the link I posted may be ECC since it says its compatible with a server PC.

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

That's ECC server memory. You can tell by the two rows of memory chips. Standard consumer RAM only has one row. The vast majority of consumer LGA 775 boards can't use that RAM.

Well the PSU just died (RIP you crappy little psu) so i guess i am kinda screwed.

What do you guys think of the Corsair VS400, (since i will only use entry-mid range gpus), its OEM is HEC and it was tested by RBuass, he is rather famous in Brazil.

It's in portuguese but has english subtitles.

10 minutes ago, Bloody Spy said:

Well the PSU just died (RIP you crappy little psu) so i guess i am kinda screwed.

What do you guys think of the Corsair VS400, (since i will only use entry-mid range gpus), its OEM is HEC and it was tested by RBuass, he is rather famous in Brazil.

It's in portuguese but has english subtitles.

I've only seen people condemning the Corsair VS... so I imagine crap quality?

Try and find a Corsair CX450M, Seasonic S12ii 520W, or Seasonic M12ii 520w, or EVGA B1. Those are good budget PSU's.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home