Coffee Lake 6 Core CPU spotted by WCCFtech

DELTAprime

The rumour mill that is WCCFtech has spotted something interesting SIS Softs database. A 6 core 6 Thread CPU running on the Kaby Lake platform. It's clocked at 3.5 ghz, no word on turbo and has 9mb of L3 cache. It has been rumoured for some time that Coffee lake will be a 6 Core consumer grade CPU running on the 1151 socket so this fits with what we already "know". They go on to talk about 4C 8T CPU but don't go into details.

https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-desktop-6-core-4-core-cpu-leaked/

This is really early obviously but as someone that's in the market for an i7 I can't wait for solid details on the i7 variant. I also hope the rumour that Digitimes posted about the K SKUs of Coffee Lake launching August are correct.

Edited by DELTAprime
Added extra info.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Could be interesting, but its WCCFtech (And we all know how reliable they are).

Edit: I wouldn't be that surprised though if Intel did move towards making 6 cores on their mainstream platform (If not in Coffeelake, not long after I would think).  

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Huh, if more details come out on the i7 AMD may be in for a race to get my money

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

*Generic comment about WCCF*

6-core? I hope it is replacement for the 4-core consumer i7, otherwise...well, let's not go there.

First we've seen Intel adding hyper threading to i5s and now it may have a 6 core i5 w/o hyper threading and speed boost. Unless it's an engineering example this will complicate things even more in the overly complicated world of Intel. 

/rumorignoremodeon

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

First we've seen Intel adding hyper threading to i5s and now it may have a 6 core i5 w/o hyper threading and speed boost. Unless it's an engineering example this will complicate things even more in the overly complicated world of Intel. 

/rumorignoremodeon

A 6c/6t would make sense for an i5. The i7 can have HT and i3s will be 4c/4t or 4c/8t

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

11 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

A 6c/6t would make sense for an i5. The i7 can have HT and i3s will be 4c/4t or 4c/8t

It would, if allegedly 7640K wasn't a thing (waiting for official announcement). And I'm sure they will be, the question is when. I don't remember it being mentioned for Coffee Lake?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

9 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

t

Last I check i3 will be 4c/4t, i5 4c/8t and i7 6c/12t... I will ignore Coffee Lake though I want the mainstream i7 6c/12t promised for Cannon Lake on the 10nm lithography

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

But is it soldered?

That 6 core 12 thread CPU for socket 1151 would be interesting.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Unlikely, Intel have never expressed their current thermal situation being an issue.

Well they did solder all previous 6 core CPUs, so hopefully they will do the same with this one.

Otherwise this will be just another hot CPU with stock settings hitting 90°C under water cooling. Great job intel!

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

39 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Huh, if more details come out on the i7 AMD may be in for a race to get my money

Not really.

6c/6t would a dick (aka intel) move and making you pay $100 to enable hyperthreading (which is no doubt present and disabled).

Also you can't really compare the 2 because Zen is here and coffee lake is not. That's like saying "i'm not buying Zen because Zen 2 is coming next year." You will be forever waiting if you apply that attitude in tech. Whatever you buy will only be cutting edge for a year max so unless the release is right around the corner (aka people in feb waiting for zen in march) then buy now.

EDIT: Compounded by the fact that the 1600 is $219 probably nearer <$200 by the time coffee lake comes around and the i7 will likely be $350-400 so you'll be paying double for far less than double performance. Likely 1.5-2x the cost for 10% gain and the added fact that LGA1151 is near end of life whereas AM4 has a guarantee of 4 year minimum.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Not really.

6c/6t would a dick (aka intel) move and making you pay $100 to enable hyperthreading (which is no doubt present and disabled).

Also you can't really compare the 2 because Zen is here and coffee lake is not. That's like saying "i'm not buying Zen because Zen 2 is coming next year." You will be forever waiting if you apply that attitude in tech. Whatever you buy will only be cutting edge for a year max so unless the release is right around the corner (aka people in feb waiting for zen in march) then buy now.

EDIT: Compounded by the fact that the 1600 is $219 probably nearer <$200 by the time coffee lake comes around and the i7 will likely be $350-400 so you'll be paying double for far less than double performance. Likely 1.5-2x the cost for 10% gain and the added fact that LGA1151 is near end of life whereas AM4 has a guarantee of 4 year minimum.

I can only agree with that. Ryzen came out few months ago ... skylake-x is comming in next few months. Coffe lake is comming by the end of the year. Then we will see Zen2 (Ryzen2 or w/e), and after that we can expect Canon Lake, Icelake, Tigerlake, Zen3, Zen5 etc.

New CPUs will be released every few months. I don't think a year will pass without having new CPUs on the market.

WD My Cloud 4TB

i3 with 4C-8T and a i5 with 6C-6T will result in weird results.

It's actually a quite odd place intel will put themselves in if they start to throw more cores at the problem and keep messing with HT on and off...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

47 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Well they did solder all previous 6 core CPUs, so hopefully they will do the same with this one.

Otherwise this will be just another hot CPU with stock settings hitting 90°C under water cooling. Great job intel!

Surface area of the die, is too small for solder. The others where 2011-3 not 1151.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

42 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Surface area of the die, is too small for solder. The others where 2011-3 not 1151.

Well in this case we can expect some hot chip ... 2 more cores will surely add more heat, and if Intel can't find a way to solder it, we will see high temps.

Unless they step up and put liquid metal inside and don't add so much adhesive to block contact.

WD My Cloud 4TB

3 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Not really.

All totally true but I'm not actually considering a 1600 vs an 8700k its a 1700 vs an 8700k.  I'm basically curious to see how a 6c, mainstream flagship i7 performs.  Could it be pushed to 5Ghz?  If it could that would open up all sorts of interesting questions about performance.  I really like r7 1700 and I'll probably go with an r7 system but if intel can beat or match ryzen it will drive prices down, even a little bit.  Same deal with a 1600 be 10% cheaper or so - I win either way :P

7 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

The rumour mill that is WCCFtech has spotted something interesting SIS Softs database. A 6 core 6 Thread CPU running on the Kaby Lake platform. It's clocked at 3.5 ghz, no word on turbo and has 9mb of L3 cache. It has been rumoured for some time that Coffee lake will be a 6 Core consumer grade CPU running on the 1151 socket so this fits with what we already "know". They go on to talk about 4C 8T CPU but don't go into details.

https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-desktop-6-core-4-core-cpu-leaked/

This is really early obviously but as someone that's in the market for an i7 I can't wait for solid details on the i7 variant. I also hope the rumour that Digitimes posted about the K SKUs of Coffee Lake launching August are correct.

Could someone at Intel please begin to explain their upcoming product stack...  They're looking at 4C8T i7's on the X299 platform and not they may be looking at 6C chips on their Z270/370 platform...  Not that I would mind more cores on the Z-series chipsets, however, it is going to be really confusing to people on which chipsets and sockets their Core series processors need to be deployed with.

18 minutes ago, manigma said:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-coffee-lake-shows-up-in-sisoft-sandra-results.html

A hex core coffee lake was all I wished to upgrade my i5 7500 to in 2018/19. Intel please make sure it supports my B250.

Come on, this is Intel. 

Which means it won't.

Ye ole' train

4 hours ago, Damascus said:

All totally true but I'm not actually considering a 1600 vs an 8700k its a 1700 vs an 8700k.  I'm basically curious to see how a 6c, mainstream flagship i7 performs.  Could it be pushed to 5Ghz?  If it could that would open up all sorts of interesting questions about performance.  I really like r7 1700 and I'll probably go with an r7 system but if intel can beat or match ryzen it will drive prices down, even a little bit.  Same deal with a 1600 be 10% cheaper or so - I win either way :P

How would intel drive prices down... their 6c will be more expensive than a Ryzen 8 core just like their quad core i7 is. Also 5Ghz I doubt it because it's gonna be hot as hell. The thermal solution they use is garbage and the package is too small to solder so yeah if coffee lake is a 6c it ain't gonna be an overclocker...

2 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

They're looking at 4C8T i7's on the X299 platform and not they may be looking at 6C chips on their Z270/370 platform...

My personal theory is that intel wants an extremely high OC'ing X299 CPU.  If the current X99 6c can OC to 4.5Ghz+ stable I imagine a 4c i7 running on the same kind of power delivery, thermal dissipation, die size etc. available on X99/X299 could go to 5.5Ghz or beyond stable on water

1 hour ago, tom_w141 said:

How would intel drive prices down... their 6c will be more expensive than a Ryzen 8 core just like their quad core i7 is. Also 5Ghz I doubt it because it's gonna be hot as hell. The thermal solution they use is garbage and the package is too small to solder so yeah if coffee lake is a 6c it ain't gonna be an overclocker...

Competition will affect prices, even if neither company changes MSRP places like microcenter will blow out ryzen and 7700k at reduced prices.  Also, I'm not likely to get an 8700k and if I did I'd de-lid and run a good cooler.  High, stable clocks are feasible with proper prep