Upgrade i5 to i7 sandybridge

I have been looking at all the options and have come up with some local CPU's. One is an I7-2600 locked that was pulled from a workstation comp for 90$.

The other is a 2600K for 100$ that the seller replied with this information. "Sure do. I had it at 4.5Ghz 24/7 at around 1.35V It can reach 5Ghz if you've got really good cooling ” With this much time on overclock I am wondering if the chip may be approaching the end of its life, and if the locked processor would be the better option at this point? I would also need to invest in an aftermarket cooler for the K on top of the CPU. 

Desktop - CPU: R5-2600 MOBO: Asus B450 Micro Atx MEM: Team T-Force RGB Black 16gb GPU: MSI 970 CASE: Zalman Z9 Neo White PSU: Antec EA-750 Earthwatts

4 minutes ago, lonestar31 said:

I have been looking at all the options and have come up with some local CPU's. One is an I7-2600 locked that was pulled from a workstation comp for 90$.

The other is a 2600K for 100$ that the seller replied with this information. "Sure do. I had it at 4.5Ghz 24/7 at around 1.35V It can reach 5Ghz if you've got really good cooling ” With this much time on overclock I am wondering if the chip may be approaching the end of its life, and if the locked processor would be the better option at this point? I would also need to invest in an aftermarket cooler for the K on top of the CPU. 

The 2600k and a air cooler is the best option. The 2600 none k is slow af. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

10 minutes ago, lonestar31 said:

Get The 2600'K' since it can overclock if you have a Z series mobo,and you're only paying $10 Extra for the K

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

4 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Get The 2600'K' since it can overclock if you have a Z series mobo,and you're only paying $10 Extra for the K

I have an ASUS p8p67 pro and I believe it can Overclock.

Desktop - CPU: R5-2600 MOBO: Asus B450 Micro Atx MEM: Team T-Force RGB Black 16gb GPU: MSI 970 CASE: Zalman Z9 Neo White PSU: Antec EA-750 Earthwatts

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

Why not Ivy Bridge CPUs? With a BIOS update you can use them and Ivy bridge OCs a bit more than sandy bridge.

Just now, M.A.P said:

Why not Ivy Bridge CPUs? With a BIOS update you can use them and Ivy bridge OCs a bit more than sandy bridge.

Not they don't, they run hot, don't oc as well and are way more expensive :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Just now, M.A.P said:

For the cost it seems it would be better to just do a total upgrade. Hard to find Ivy's for under 150 so far. 

those are pretty steep prices for those chips, especially the 2600

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

25 minutes ago, M.A.P said:

From what I remember, Ivy Bridge was plagued with heat issues due to the switch to thermal compound. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

those are pretty steep prices for those chips, especially the 2600

Seems about average from what I can gather. eBay and most other resellers are about the same price. 

1 hour ago, lonestar31 said:

Seems about average from what I can gather. eBay and most other resellers are about the same price. 

huh well where i live you are looking at $60 or so for a I7 2600 and around $80 for an I7 2600K

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

huh well where i live you are looking at $60 or so for a I7 2600 and around $80 for an I7 2600K

The videos from Tech Deals on YouTube probably aren't helping over here. Plus the Sandy Bridge is a pretty legendary chip as far as overclocking and bang for the buck are concerned.

13 minutes ago, lonestar31 said:

The videos from Tech Deals on YouTube probably aren't helping over here. Plus the Sandy Bridge is a pretty legendary chip as far as overclocking and bang for the buck are concerned.

i have an I7 2600, wont even do 1MHz BCLK at 1.4V. "legendary overclocker"... :P 

Builds:

Spoiler