4670k with a Noctua NH-L9i?

bpw87

So i'm looking at upgrading my current cpu Z87 i5 4670k and want to re-purpose my current CPU into an In Win Choppin m-ITX for a living room PC so I can stream games and movies from my room with my new PC. Only thing I'm concerned about is finding a cooler that will meet the 84w TDP of the 4670k but nothing does in that size case and I think the best bet would be the Noctua at 65w. The CPU will probably never see full utilization and all overclocking would be turned off and possible de-clocked if the thermals are bad. It's a horrible overclocking chip anyway so it's no big loss, however it is super efficient and would safely hit 4ghz at 1.164v while being super stable. The mother board a EVGA Z87 Stinger, 16GB Ripjaw X and CPU would be way overkill but if I don't use them they will probably never get used and the resale on them isn't worth parting with, so I want to use them and I wanted to buy a NUC anyway and this would save me some coin.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

The case has a 150w internal PSU, will that be enough for the mobo, CPU and a SSD?

Is this even worth doing seeing I have all the parts minus case, cooler and ssd or should I just buy a NUC?

Think it will handle it fine if your typical usage scenario is just streaming games and movies, you could always try undervolt it more (to ~0.9V figures) and get it really efficient, or consider delidding it and shave off 15°C or more.

I have one quite similar system powered by a passive 75W PSU; H81 mobo, G3258 4GHz @ 1.030V, 2x4GB DDR3 sticks @ 1.250V, sata SSD.
In a full power draw scenario of CPU together with iGPU it utilizes about 90-95% of the PSU's capability.

The NH-L9i is plenty especially if you undervolt. The stock cooler should also be enough if you plan to use that instead.

A 150w psu is plenty for that.

Whether it's worth doing or not is up to you. I personally don't mind having spare systems lying around.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

17 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-L9i is plenty especially if you undervolt. The stock cooler should also be enough if you plan to use that instead.

A 150w psu is plenty for that.

Whether it's worth doing or not is up to you. I personally don't mind having spare systems lying around.

Yeah I was hoping it would be fine, everything seemed like it would but the last thing I want to do is burn down my house lol.

Stock cooler is long gone and aftermarket options are cheap enough.

Seems worth doing, a NUC would cost me more anyway with less uses and at least it won't go to waste like my old systems.

2 hours ago, oriol said:

You should be fine if you disable turbo and don't go for continuous high loads: http://noctua.at/en/nh_l9i_tdp_guidelines

Yeah I will definitely disable and it will barely see anything more than streaming 4k content or web browsing

Thanks