Dual-boot not working?

I'm trying to get a copy of Lubuntu onto my laptop to dual boot along side windows 10. I was having a lot of trouble (as I did originally installing windows) and ended up sticking the hard drive in a desktop and installing Linux from there. The instillation went fine and the desktop boots into Linux, but not windows. When I put the hard drive back in the laptop the opposite was true and it boots into windows but not Linux. I don't know if this is just an issue with the hardware in the machines or if I did something wrong. The only machine that I had that I knew supported dual-boot was given away a long time ago.

Anyone have any ideas? I can give more information but don't want to spam a wall of text with useless info.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

It's more than likely not working because you installed Linux with the desktop. The hardware is probably just a bit too different. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

some laptop brands do REALLY funky stuff with their bios to make it only boot into windows.

beyond that, there's a few more things to consider:

- both OSes need to be installed in either bios or uefi supported mode

- the bootloader of choice needs to support and know the location of the two operating systems

- the bios/uefi settings need to be set appropriately

5 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

It's more than likely not working because you installed Linux with the desktop. The hardware is probably just a bit too different. 

linux.. is surprisingly portable in this regard. i used to have an SD card with a linux install that'd boot on quite literally every system that could boot off an SD card.

I pulled out the hard drive and installed the flash drive with Linux and tried to boot into it. It came up with the option to try without installing which I have clicked on and the laptop just goes into a black screen and does nothing. I'm going to let it sit for a bit to see what happens.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

So after a half hour of nothing, I just assume that the BIOS isn't going to cooperate with Linux.

Most probably your Laptop and Desktop are using UEFI (most modern computers do). Things are a bit different than in the good ol' Legace/MBR days. You need an entry in the EFI part of BIOS settings (created by the OS when it is installed) to be able to boot an OS. This is why your Desktop now boots Linux but the laptop boots Windows.

(Lesson learned: do not install an OS on a different computer you are going to use it. Ever. This applies to any OS flavor).

Also, you need to disable all secure boot (and similar) options in BIOS to be able to install any Linux.

The Live Linux installation not booting could be due to several things; most probably some incompatibility with the GPU. Go to the distributions forums / wiki (Google it) to find out more.

To continue from here:

• What are the exact problems you face when trying to install an OS on the Laptop?
  • Which laptop do you have (make, model)?
  • Which live Linux were you trying to install (and why do you need to remove the hard drive before booting it)?

1 hour ago, Wild Penquin said:

Most probably your Laptop and Desktop are using UEFI (most modern computers do). Things are a bit different than in the good ol' Legace/MBR days. You need an entry in the EFI part of BIOS settings (created by the OS when it is installed) to be able to boot an OS. This is why your Desktop now boots Linux but the laptop boots Windows.

(Lesson learned: do not install an OS on a different computer you are going to use it. Ever. This applies to any OS flavor).

Also, you need to disable all secure boot (and similar) options in BIOS to be able to install any Linux.

The Live Linux installation not booting could be due to several things; most probably some incompatibility with the GPU. Go to the distributions forums / wiki (Google it) to find out more.

To continue from here:

• What are the exact problems you face when trying to install an OS on the Laptop?
  • Which laptop do you have (make, model)?
  • Which live Linux were you trying to install (and why do you need to remove the hard drive before booting it)?

The laptop is from around 2012 and the desktop is from around 2005 to 2007.

I had taken the hard drive out while simply trying to temporarily boot to the USB to keep the system from even looking at the HDD. It worked on the desktop so I tried it as a preventive measure on the laptop.

I will look into compatibility issues. I've been trying to find out if the BIOS supports dual boot online but the few posts from people who actually try it are using two different copies of windows. As far as I can tell this is not a popular laptop for tinkering... probably because it's an HP (I know that some are a little more lax with tinkering but still).

While trying to install the on the laptop I have modified the boot priority in the BIOS to boot from optical disk first, then USB, then HDD. I have disabled secure boot but nothing else as there were no other options like it. I have pictures that I've attached below of the BIOS menu. It boots into the options menu from Lubuntu with only 4 options, while on the desktop I am given a wider range of options to choose from. I don't remember all of the differences but there were some others like shut down etc. I can rebuild the setup but would rather not if possible. I sellect boot into Lubuntu without installing, the system black screens, the flash drive flashes a few times then nothing. If I select any other options I get the same result. I've left it for 30 minutes and it made no progress.

The laptop is an HP 2000-2C20CA.

The Linux distribution was Lubuntu, the latest version from their site.

Windows 10 and secure boot simply does not play nice with dual-booting (thanks MS :/ ). I had this exact same issue while trying to dual-boot Win10 and Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 on my year-old laptop. After a successful install of Linux, it would only boot into windows and showed no grub or Linux boot option in the boot order list in the UEFI. Even after adding it to secure boot manually. 

In the end I just ended up wiping windows altogether and installing Linux as the sole OS. (I've had it with windows being so locked-down that they don't allow another OS to run along side it). For the apps I run that require windows, I'm just going to install win 10 in KVM with passthrough to the dGPU.

With the age of the OP's laptop, the hardware should not be an issue at all. You can install Linux on a potato and it will run. This issue is related to windows 10 and secure boot, specifically, IMO. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS