Old server with decent specs

Jerped

Hello!   I'm looking for a cheap server (rack or desktop) for multiple purposes :D

I don't need a link in ebay or anything like that, I just want to know the models I should look for.

I will be using this server as a network storage (maybe freeNAS? )/plex server, as well as a gaming server. I play a lot of Factorio lately and due to poor multi-threading, the core clock speed needs to be more than 3.0GHz (otherwise it won't beat our current server).

There should be also 8go or more RAM.

I will use 2 or more 2tb drives in raid 1 or 5. Storage doesn't need to be included, I will organize myself from there, I just need proco and ram.

I looked at a dell c2100 or r410, but if you have better advice go ahead!

For your information, I could build a new one for around 800cad, so it must be lower than that.

4 minutes ago, lonely_sata_cable said:

You gotta budget and name something you would be doing most with it

Here taken from first post:

8 minutes ago, Jerped said:

I will be using this server as a network storage (maybe freeNAS? )/plex server, as well as a gaming server. I play a lot of Factorio lately and due to poor multi-threading, the core clock speed needs to be more than 3.0GHz (otherwise it won't beat our current server).

8 minutes ago, Jerped said:

For your information, I could build a new one for around 800cad, so it must be lower than that.

Oh sorry I'm never seen one for that price but try and look at a ryzen based system then over clock because of the data transfer speeds

Go with a Dell r410 or 510, the 410 can be had for little as a 100 dollars, 4x 3.5in hotswap bays and all the way up to 16 cores.  Its defiantly somewhere to  start.  If you need heavy storage go with what @tt2468 said.  The R510 can be found for alot more but has the expand-ability you might need. 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

2 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

Go with a Dell r410 or 510, the 410 can be had for little as a 100 dollars, 4x 3.5in hotswap bays and all the way up to 16 cores.  Its defiantly somewhere to  start.  If you need heavy storage go with what @tt2468 said.  The R510 can be found for alot more but has the expand-ability you might need. 

And just remember that the r410 needs a pcie hba in order to support more than 2TB per drive, while the r510 usually comes with the h700, which supports up to 8tb per drive

My native language is C++

hahaha managed to find a Dell R510 just as you said, 2x xeon quad core 3.2GHz, 32gb RAM and 12x300Gb HDD.

That will do I think, later on I will maybe change the drives for a bigger size.

3 hours ago, tt2468 said:

You can get a dell r510, which has 12 hot swap bays, and supports high clocked cpus like the x5670.

id get a c2100 over them, you get many more ram slots(18 vs 8) and 2 2.5 internal drives. There also normally cheaper.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

id get a c2100 over them, you get many more ram slots(18 vs 8) and 2 2.5 internal drives. There also normally cheaper.

@Electronics Wizardy I read somewhere online (don't remember where rn) that the R510 is much more reliable than the C2100 since the C series are designed to run in huge clusters where failures aren't much of a concern. What's your take on this? Is this true?

Main Rig: i7-4790 | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM

Laptop: 2016 Macbook Pro 15" w/ i7-6820HQ, RX 455, 16GB RAM

Others: Apple iPhone XS, ATH-M50X, Airpods, SE215

2 hours ago, aubryscully said:

@Electronics Wizardy I read somewhere online (don't remember where rn) that the R510 is much more reliable than the C2100 since the C series are designed to run in huge clusters where failures aren't much of a concern. What's your take on this? Is this true?

the r510 is easiier to service, but for reliabality data, its hard to get. They both should last a good amount of time, and they should last longer than you will use them.

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The r510 has 2 internal sas bays too, but yeah

My native language is C++

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the r510 is easiier to service, but for reliabality data, its hard to get. They both should last a good amount of time, and they should last longer than you will use them.

Cool thanks for the info

Main Rig: i7-4790 | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM

Laptop: 2016 Macbook Pro 15" w/ i7-6820HQ, RX 455, 16GB RAM

Others: Apple iPhone XS, ATH-M50X, Airpods, SE215

Well, my friend has got another one, but we don't know which one would be better:

I still have mine in head (Dell R510, dual X5672 (quad-core 3.2GHz with H-T) , 32Gb RAM and 12x300Gb SAS) for around 850$ CAD

Or his: (HP Proliant DL360, Dual x5260 (dual-core 3.33GHz no H-T) , 16Gb RAM and no hard drive (but fibre card 4GBPs)    for around 275$ CAD, but we have to buy hard drive and cages, asuming we can use any brand we want, total would be around 500 or 600$ CAD

I think the Dell will offer us a slightly better future, as more core (16 thread instead of 4) and more RAM, also we already have the hard drives, but for the price difference is it worth it?