NZXT S340 tempered glass side panel mod

Hello browsers of the internet:

I have a normal version of the S340, and I decided it was time to get myself a custom side panel with tempered glass instead of the horrible acrylic the case comes with. Here is how I did it and the end result. The mod still has a lot of room for improvement, but I'm fairly happy with the results.

Materials used:

-Tempered glass with a medium tint film, 43 x 44.5cm --> 150 mxn (8 USD from my local glass workshop)

-Aluminum flat profile 38x3mm, 4m long --> 160 mxn (8.50 USD from my local metal workshop)

-Aluminum L profile 12x12mm, 5m long, 1mm thick --> 100mxn (5.30 USD)

-Aluminum C profile 0.9x0.9mm, 5m long, 1mm thick --> 120mxn (6.40 USD)

-Small tube of resistol 5000 (high strength contact glue) --> 60mxn (3.20 USD)

-Small tube of sealing silicone --> 80mxn (4.25 USD)

Grand total: 35.65 USD + a bunch of unused aluminum and adhesives

Tools:

-Metal hacksaw with handle

-A couple of vise grips

-Spatula (to spread the adhesives)

-Metal files

-4mm drill bit and drill

Build Process:

This build is very simple and can be completed in a couple of hours. The only lengthy bit, is waiting for the adhesives to fully cure in order to proceed. First off, cut the flat aluminum profile into 2 lengths of 43cm and 2 more lengths of 37cm. These 4 bits will make the frame to which the glass panel will be attached. Next up, cut 30cm of the C shaped profile, this will handle most of the weight of the side panel so that it can rest on the bottom of the case structure. Finally, cut the L- shaped profile to get a length of 44.5cm. This one will be attached to the back of the panel and will hold everything in place with thumbscrews. I recommend you approximate the distances with a couple of mm to spare and then file the pieces down to the correct lengths. Its easier to remove material than to add it!

With all of the cutting done, attach all of the flat profiles to the glass panel using the sealing silicone. first, clean both the glass and the aluminum, then apply a seam of silicone to the aluminum and spread it with the spatula. Finally place the aluminum on the glass. Rinse and repeat for all 4 pieces and use small clamps to hold them in place for 24 hours. Next up, focus on the bottom part of the panel and make a mark 9mm over the lower edge. Attach the C shaped profile on this mark using the contact adhesive. Make sure you read and follow the instructions for your adhesive, since this bond will be supporting most of the weight of the structure. Let it cure for as long as needed. Grab the L profile and make 2 holes 44mm from the edges. Attach this piece to the back of the side panel and let the glue cure. Congrats! the build is done!

Spoiler

parts.thumb.JPG.09dd53a8c44de9783d6f305ce8f436d5.JPGholes.thumb.JPG.0ca082bd61f868572f51ef74ebb993de.JPG

Finish.thumb.jpg.c7dcf0214c38c6ea1574d88e6bbc4d19.jpg

Let me know what you think (aside from wonky) and please share any improvements you come up with. Thanks for reading!

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

Very well executed and professional looking. So you ended up making a panel from scratch instead of cutting and reusing the old one? I'll have to keep that in mind as it looks better than most panels done that way.