Oak Desk - my new custom desk

50mm

VavqIzd.jpg

Hello everyone to my new project, but this time without any hardware. I hope it still fits into this forum as it will be part of my setup.

The last few years many people build their own "Desk PCs" and even companies released some which you can just buy and put your computer in.

I really like the idea of having you computer inside of your desk but i don't want to have a 20cm thick one. That's why i stick to a normal PC inside a case placed next to me.

When i moved my setup to another room last year i didn't take my glass desk with me since i wanted to get a new one. Since then i used this old desk which looks really cheap compared to the rest.

It has scratches all over it, looks dirty and when you place something on it you might think it will break any second. :D 

l6vQ7c4.jpg

The last few months when i was browsing reddit and instagram i found some really nice setups, from simple white desks to some made out of solid wood.

I could get a white one without any effort when i drive to the nearest Ikea but that's not what i wanted. It should at least look like wood.

The first idea where melamine oder veneer desks, another alternative were work plates like they're used in the kitchen.

All well and good, but after seeing so many nice setups i really wanted a desk made of solid wood. The only problem was the price.
If you want a custom made plate you easily pay 1000€ or more and that was way too high.

So i talked to a friend and he told me that his deceased neighboor was carpenter and after they sold nearly anything in his workshop there were still some pieces of wood left.

He found some old oak floor lying there for about 10 years and i went there to take a look at it. 

d6dWAq5.jpg?1

JyVJ6Ad.jpg?1

Apart from all the dust they looked really great so we asked if we can take these to my friends workshop. He then started to plane and saw the wood.

This is the result:

JEnNl00.jpg

80Izgof.jpg

Gorgeous, isn't it? :x

Of course the wood has some "beauty mistakes" but i love the old look. This is exactly what i wanted.

But i can't build a desk without a frame underneath. I wanted the frame to be made of steel profiles so i started creating some designs in CAD. 

The first one used angle profiles and looked like this:

lVk5um0.jpg?1

The idea was to insert the wood plate into the profiles so you won't see the edges later. 

Some days later i made a new design which not only looks much more sturdy but also is.

NF3TLlc.jpg?1

This one uses 80x30x2mm steel profiles and should be able to hold much more than just the plate and my setup.

I did a second one which is "only" 1,6m long and called another friend who works with metal and also powdercoats.

The frames are going to be clear coated after welding and grinding to keep the industrial look. This will look awesome combined with the wood.

That's it for today, i really hope you like my idea and if not, tell me what you think would be better. :) 

Very Cool!!

6700k@4.7ghz-Cryorig R1 Ultimate-EVGA GTX1070FTW-Asus Z170 pro gaming-EVGA650 G2 PSU-Toshiba480gb SSD-Toshiba1tb HHD-NZXT HUE-NZXT H440 Razor Case-EVGA DDR4 4x8=32gb 3000mhz-Z35 Predator 35in 200hz Gsync display-Razor mamba TE & Blackwidow chroma keyboard.

I like wood.

The idea was to insert the wood plate into the profiles so you won't see the edges later.

Bad idea with actual wood. Wood expands and contracts according to how humid it is, as the fibers of the wood will swell up and dry out over the year. Always give your wood room to expand along the width. You can't just bolt it down or you will end up with the wood cupping and/or cracking.

Here are some examples:

Head on over to r/woodworking, they can answer all your wood related questions

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

13 hours ago, pentotark said:

Desk is looking great!

Your room looks very industrial and even, I think it would be nice if you keep each planks imperfections, especially on the left and right edges.

Thanks, i will try to keep some of these imperfections but i want the edges to be straight.

3 hours ago, Urishima said:

I like wood.

[...]

Bad idea with actual wood. Wood expands and contracts according to how humid it is, as the fibers of the wood will swell up and dry out over the year. Always give your wood room to expand along the width. You can't just bolt it down or you will end up with the wood cupping and/or cracking.

[...]

Head on over to r/woodworking, they can answer all your wood related questions

Thank you, that was one of the points why i discarded this idea. We had to make the gap big enough to allow the wood to move and that would've looked stupid.

I'll look into the subreddit :)

The frames are already here and they look really industrial B|

I only took photos of the "small" one since the other one was downstairs, but they look the same :D 

usLaZlF.jpg

eVkAXfN.jpg

hmDHGum.jpg

How are you going to connect the desk-top to the frame?

10 minutes ago, 50mm said:

When the plates are ready i'm going to give them some time before connecting them to the frame. After that i will use screws.

Well, that is probably going to lead to the same issue.

When connecting a hardwood table-top to a frame, you usually use something like this:

m4tti1j.jpg

These are called cleats.

Notice the grooves that allow the connecting piece to slide sideways as the wood moves. It's snug, but still lose enough to allow the wood to expand and contract over time.

Further explanation:

http://followyourheartwoodworking.blogspot.de/2012/03/please-dont-make-table-like-this.html

Since your frame doesn't have an apron, you'll have to look to a different solution.

[EDIT]

Further reading with more explanation on how exactly wood moves:

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/get-more/table-tops-and-wood-movement

On 26.4.2017 at 2:16 PM, Urishima said:

Well, that is probably going to lead to the same issue.

We'll see. I know about wood movement and i'm not going to use more screws than needed. The wood already has cracks and stuff like that and that's what i wanted, so no big deal. :) 

The plates are finished and i can't wait to show them to you guys!

This is what the small plate looked like just before impreganting it. :) 

g3SnpQq.jpg

sUnAWj5.jpg

The planks were glued together, cut to the exact dimensions and sanded. It also fits perfectly on the frame.

BChOPGR.jpg

This is one of the parts i love the most :x Maybe not everyone's taste, but definitely unique :) 

For impregnation i'm using Hard Oil from Bondex to make it waterproof and resistent. This will not only dye the wood darker but also intensify the contrast of the grain.

Rst47TL.jpg

I started with the back side of the plates, let dry and turn them around. The top sides will get at least two layers.

v1OMXET.jpg

You can already see that it gets darker, but it won't stay that glossy of course. ;) 

Aye, that's a very nice top.

How many coats are you doing?

Ok guys, the small one is already finished. The wood didn't absorp much oil anymore so i think 2 layers will be fine for now.

After the wood dried i turned it around to attach the plate to the frame. You can't imagine how heavy the wood is compared to the frame..

6kavVi6.jpg

oRieatR.jpg

Looks really awesome! :) Now i have to tidy up and wait for the big plate to dry. Going to post photos once the desks are in position and my rig is set up. After that i need to do some cable management and other details

I really like the design of the table and it looks great.

I look forward to seeing the completed setup!

While searching for a new desk, I also browsed through the internet (reddit, ...) looking for inspirations.

I created a CAD of what my desk should look like and it is almost excatly like your desk.

(The only diffrences are the dimensions and the lack of a support, connecting both legs).

I just haven't started yet, because it isn't a major priority atm.

Grüße aus Aachen, NRW :D

[please insert cool build here]

• 3 weeks later...
On 3.5.2017 at 10:09 PM, Tomatenparty said:

I really like the design of the table and it looks great.

I look forward to seeing the completed setup!

While searching for a new desk, I also browsed through the internet (reddit, ...) looking for inspirations.

I created a CAD of what my desk should look like and it is almost excatly like your desk.

(The only diffrences are the dimensions and the lack of a support, connecting both legs).

I just haven't started yet, because it isn't a major priority atm.

Grüße aus Aachen, NRW :D

Hi, also direkt nebenan :D 

The support for the frame was important to me because i don't want the desk to wiggle. Also i wasn't sure if it would be enough to only put two legs under the wood when i want to put my heavy pc on there. :D 

The setup is already working but i didn't have time to tidy it up for some photos since i'm still working on some case mod projects as well. 

Nevertheless i have a small update for you guys. I still have some shelf mounts left in the wall and some wood, so we decided to make a new shelf.

6EX81zF.jpg

The piece of wood has a really cool shape imo.

Q6w9LIQ.jpg

FLm5BVY.jpg

For the mounting we had to mill the backside of the wood. After that we drilled two holes for the metal rods.

7DK7wE3.jpg

Then i used the same oil that i used for the desks. the colour looks a bit weird because i had my camera set to jpg instead of raw and the white balance was pretty f*****.

0CMZAOw.jpg

ApceicU.jpg

But it definitely looks the same as the desk.

• 2 weeks later...

that looks amazing and i was planning to do something similar but i cant weld unffortunally.

• 2 months later...

Got another update for you guys, sorry for the long wait!

I finally managed to get some shots while the desk was cleaned up :D 

MJFGrQ0.jpg

The Desks now stand in an "L" shape, the bigger one is used as main desk for my computer. The other one functions as workspace for minor modding and my 3D printer.

sZt4EYX.jpg

Please ignore the cables for now, still need to manage these and get some longer ones for the monitor.
The new shelf is also mounted to the wall and fits perfect.

Still something's missing, right?

M2T52O4.jpg

AkM8WB3.jpg

UYNsrBw.jpg

The guys from Caseking and noblechairs thought the same and sent me this bad boy, a new ICON series chair! :)

Big thanks to you! The new chair doesn't only look good, it's also super comfy.

ZWKQXKZ.jpg

6JKWyLj.jpg

tj66nB0.jpg

Everyone who want's it more "noble", there's also a genuine leather version. I'm really happy and going to game a bit now. :)

What a beautiful desk, I love the simplicity of something like this.

Have been looking at those Noble chairs as well - they have them at my local PC Boutique and by god theyre nice <3

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA