Trying to build a good fast af itx build

^^^^

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Intel 600p Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($108.98 @ Directron) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($269.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($684.79 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Total: $1917.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-23 05:50 EDT-0400

how are you going to connect the cpu cooler? it needs an usb 2.0 header, but you only got 1 usb 3.1 gen 1 header on your motherboard

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

4 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

how are you going to connect the cpu cooler? it needs an usb 2.0 header, but you only got 1 3.1 gen 1 header on your motherboard

wait do adapters exist for that?

27 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

Opinions pls

remove all sources of RGB from this build, and buy some sensible RGB lighting strips if you dont want to look like an absolute knob.

You can get faster memory at the same price, but other than that it looks okay.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

6 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

yes. the only thing you need the 2.0 connector for (so far as I'm aware) is to set up your RGB functionality. You could get something with a normal USB plug on the end of it and plug it into the rear of your motherboard IO, set your RGB controls, and then permanently detach said cable. You should only need to have it connected to change your functionality.... but you may wish to double check that as i'm not intimately familiar with this new generation of X62 cooler... I just know that is how most other similar products function so I see no reason for this one to differ.

Intel 600p is shit, get 960EVO, RD400, etc

idk

10 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

Adapters like Molex-SATA or some rubbish like that are designed to be used in some sort of "last-resort" scenario as far as I know.

Try to find a motherboard where you don't require adapters, if you can't find one; Use an adapter.

15 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Adapters like Molex-SATA or some rubbish like that are designed to be used in some sort of "last-resort" scenario as far as I know.

Try to find a motherboard where you don't require adapters, if you can't find one; Use an adapter.

16 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

18 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

yes. the only thing you need the 2.0 connector for (so far as I'm aware) is to set up your RGB functionality. You could get something with a normal USB plug on the end of it and plug it into the rear of your motherboard IO, set your RGB controls, and then permanently detach said cable. You should only need to have it connected to change your functionality.... but you may wish to double check that as i'm not intimately familiar with this new generation of X62 cooler... I just know that is how most other similar products function so I see no reason for this one to differ.

24 minutes ago, manikyath said:

remove all sources of RGB from this build, and buy some sensible RGB lighting strips if you dont want to look like an absolute knob.

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($154.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($127.98 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($684.79 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Total: $1976.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-23 06:46 EDT-0400

changed it a lil bit?

3 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

Have you gotten the PSU yet? If not, maybe get the Leadex 2/EVGA G3? (the G3 is a rebranded leadex 2) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

13 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

I've never really trusted Super Flower as a brand. I've always found them a bit cheap and crappy tbh despite the fact they make EVGA's power supplies too. 

The leadex is a solid PSU as far as I'm concerned though.

4 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I've never really trusted Super Flower as a brand. I've always found them a bit cheap and crappy tbh despite the fact they make EVGA's power supplies too. 

The leadex is a solid PSU as far as I'm concerned though.

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($154.89 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2066.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-23 07:04 EDT-0400

would this do then I was leaning towards corsair a little bit

I'm not saying Super Flower is crap I'm just saying I've never really liked them. The leadex you mentioned is a good solid power supply, and I believe it's in Tier 1 on the PSU tier list (which is top tier).

Go for whatever you want though.

Just now, 1kv said:

I'm not saying Super Flower is crap I'm just saying I've never really liked them. The leadex you mentioned is a good solid power supply, and I believe it's in Tier 1 on the PSU tier list (which is top tier).

whatev's I kinda like corsair anyways

To make is really fast, what you need to do is

1. Add some flame decals to the side of your case.
  2. Mount a roof scoop to the top of your case.
  3. Add a spoiler to the back.
  4. Add exhaust sticking out from the sides.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 hours ago, 1kv said:

13 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Have you gotten the PSU yet? If not, maybe get the Leadex 2/EVGA G3? (the G3 is a rebranded leadex 2) 

13 hours ago, Droidbot said:

13 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

You can get faster memory at the same price, but other than that it looks okay.

13 hours ago, Zyndo said:

so does the build look good

1 hour ago, CardinalHunter said:

so does the build look good

you've linked more than one build in this thread so far. could you link whatever you think is your final build so far so that I can critique that?

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

you've linked more than one build in this thread so far. could you link whatever you think is your final build so far so that I can critique that?

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($338.34 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1984.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-23 21:54 EDT-0400

36 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($338.34 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1984.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-23 21:54 EDT-0400

Are you happy with spending 2k? can you afford more/less? the only real performance difference I could suggest at this point would be to spend an extra 30ish dollars on your RAM and get a 3200MHz kit with C14-14-14-34 timings.... Honestly it wouldn't affect performance all that much in the real world over what you currently have (it would depend on the game really) but at the same time its only an extra 30 dollars.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gT38TW/gskill-tridentz-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c14d-16gtzr

Beyond that you have pretty much everything else best in slot (more or less). Do you intend to do a custom loop ever? If so, I might recommend a different GPU unless you've already checked that someone offers a full water block for that GPU, or you have confirmed that GPU is running a FE PCB (I don't remember off-hand if that one runs a custom PCB or not). Also your current GPU doesn't have a backplate. Not that its a deal breaker or anything, but if you were going for a very specific or clean aesthetic that may throw a wrench into your plans. I might recommend an Asus Strix card or an EVGA FTW card to combat these issues as they often have blocks made for them, and they have backplates/clean looks and great RGB support to round out your build.

Lastly, for what purpose do you have an M.2 boot drive and SSD for mass storage? This appears to be a gaming rig, and you may be able to save yourself some money by not having so much mass storage as SSD. Now if you don't mind the extra cost then all the power to ya (I ONLY game and plan to RAID 0 some NVMe drives for all my storage in the near future simply because I want to) but that is just something to keep in mind. and IF that is the case, perhaps you would consider buying a 1TB 960 evo? it would only be 100 bucks more than the combined drives, but then EVERYTHING would be supar fast! lolol. (but this is hardly a recommendation like my other two suggestions were, and its certainly not needed)

Overall your build is pretty solid though. anything I could change would be minor or financial recommendations at this point

2 hours ago, Zyndo said:

Are you happy with spending 2k? can you afford more/less? the only real performance difference I could suggest at this point would be to spend an extra 30ish dollars on your RAM and get a 3200MHz kit with C14-14-14-34 timings.... Honestly it wouldn't affect performance all that much in the real world over what you currently have (it would depend on the game really) but at the same time its only an extra 30 dollars.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gT38TW/gskill-tridentz-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c14d-16gtzr

Beyond that you have pretty much everything else best in slot (more or less). Do you intend to do a custom loop ever? If so, I might recommend a different GPU unless you've already checked that someone offers a full water block for that GPU, or you have confirmed that GPU is running a FE PCB (I don't remember off-hand if that one runs a custom PCB or not). Also your current GPU doesn't have a backplate. Not that its a deal breaker or anything, but if you were going for a very specific or clean aesthetic that may throw a wrench into your plans. I might recommend an Asus Strix card or an EVGA FTW card to combat these issues as they often have blocks made for them, and they have backplates/clean looks and great RGB support to round out your build.

Lastly, for what purpose do you have an M.2 boot drive and SSD for mass storage? This appears to be a gaming rig, and you may be able to save yourself some money by not having so much mass storage as SSD. Now if you don't mind the extra cost then all the power to ya (I ONLY game and plan to RAID 0 some NVMe drives for all my storage in the near future simply because I want to) but that is just something to keep in mind. and IF that is the case, perhaps you would consider buying a 1TB 960 evo? it would only be 100 bucks more than the combined drives, but then EVERYTHING would be supar fast! lolol. (but this is hardly a recommendation like my other two suggestions were, and its certainly not needed)

Overall your build is pretty solid though. anything I could change would be minor or financial recommendations at this point

Actually after considering the other factors(i.e upgrades, water cooling etc.) I'm starting to wanna turn to matx and full mobo's now though I need them to be portable enough so any suggestions cuz I am planning to do a lil' bit of video editing and so I'm considering the 1700x

8 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

Actually after considering the other factors(i.e upgrades, water cooling etc.) I'm starting to wanna turn to matx and full mobo's now though I need them to be portable enough so any suggestions cuz I am planning to do a lil' bit of video editing and so I'm considering the 1700x

B350M Mortar from MSI looks like a promising Matx motherboard for 1700x, supports overclocking, tons of features that don't seem to be lacking anywhere (except no SLI, but that may not be a deal breaker for you... it DOES support CF though)... and its a pretty cheap motherboard all things considered as well. as far as portable Matx cases go... I mean most of them are still pretty small so you can pick em up and go with little issue. You may wish to consider a case like the BitFenix Prodigy M... comes in a huge amount of colours, with handles on it, nice aesthetic, window, the whole 9 yards, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tsYWGX/bitfenix-case-bfcprm300kkwskrp

and if you want ATX, there is the MSI tomahawk which is very similar to the Mortar, but just in ATX form. there are certainly "better" more expensive boards out there, but with boards as good as these and as cheap as these.... its not like you NEED to be spending more.

12 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

B350M Mortar from MSI looks like a promising Matx motherboard for 1700x, supports overclocking, tons of features that don't seem to be lacking anywhere (except no SLI, but that may not be a deal breaker for you... it DOES support CF though)... and its a pretty cheap motherboard all things considered as well. as far as portable Matx cases go... I mean most of them are still pretty small so you can pick em up and go with little issue. You may wish to consider a case like the BitFenix Prodigy M... comes in a huge amount of colours, with handles on it, nice aesthetic, window, the whole 9 yards, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tsYWGX/bitfenix-case-bfcprm300kkwskrp

and if you want ATX, there is the MSI tomahawk which is very similar to the Mortar, but just in ATX form. there are certainly "better" more expensive boards out there, but with boards as good as these and as cheap as these.... its not like you NEED to be spending more.

Wait can mid towers ie. define r5 fit full atx mobo's? If they can I may just go full atx build since I need portability

9 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

Wait can mid towers ie. define r5 fit full atx mobo's? If they can I may just go full atx build since I need portability

Yes, a mid tower like a define R5, Define S, S340, P400, and so on... these all are designed for and fit ATX motherboards... but the statement "I may just go full atx build since I need portability" makes no sense. you got ATX or EATX for features and expandability. you go mATX or ITX for portability. Not that it REALLY makes a huge difference, and you CAN move around an ATX rig just fine.... but an ITX rig is certainly the way to go if portability is your concern. not only is it much lighter, but its smaller footprint makes it better capable of setting up in a wider variety of areas where space is less available than your primary desk/setup