PSA - You won't get in trouble for putting more words in your posts.

KuJoe

I've noticed a lot of threads being created lately with seemingly as few words as possible, sometimes even incomplete sentences that are hard to decipher without a secret decoder ring. The only reason for this I can think of is that people are under the impression that if you type too many words you'll get an invoice or get banned, neither of which will happen. So this thread is just a simple Public Service Announcement letting everybody know that it's really OK (even encouraged) to put more words into your posts to form a complete thought.

If you want help with something, provide some details. Heck, provide ALL of the details. Tell us what software and hardware you're using, tell us about your home network, tell us about the ambient temperature in your room, tell us about the box your pizza came in, tell us about your cat's favorite place to sleep, tell us anything that's relevant to the problem you're having. Too much information is infinitely better than not enough information, but not enough information is better than no information at all. So start with baby steps I guess. Also it's completely fine if you say you don't know the answer to our questions and don't know how to find the answer. Just let us know and we can guide you through the process to get you the information we need from you, but don't ignore the question as it will just delay you getting whatever issue you're having resolved. Google can help you much faster than we can in terms of finding things on your PC, but if you need some extra hand holding don't be afraid to ask for it.

If you want to talk about something then present your opinion about it along with what you're hoping to learn or accomplish with your thread, don't just make a statement like "pizza is a food. discuss." because that won't start a meaningful discussion.

I'm not saying you have to write a book, but some of the threads recently take almost a full page of replies just to understand what the OP is asking. And no, it's not a language barrier either, it's simply a lack of information.

I'm typing up this post because I, like others, truly want to help people here. I literally spend hours on this forum just to assist people with troubleshooting issues and providing guidance for their purchases and so forth. I really like helping people but lately people are making it really hard for people like me to help them.

So come on LTT community, let's all do our part to make this community even better by not limiting the amount of words we type and stop playing the "let's see how many pages it takes to troubleshoot my issue" game. :)

Edited by KuJoe
Added the line about it being OK to say you don't know the answer.

-KuJoe

Ah, a new enough member that still wants to help everyone. You bring a tear to my eye good sir.

Give it a year or so, you'll become like the rest of the vets here and lurk off topic and a few other subtopics, helping only really when there's questions that go unanswered or you're very well certified to help with, while letting other newer members take care of the rest. 

And people don't give as many details not because they're afraid of typing, but because they're more often than not just too lazy to type it all out. They don't think its important, even though it might be.

I 100% agree though. We need more details when asking for help, people.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

Ah, a new enough member that still wants to help everyone. You bring a tear to my eye good sir.

Give it a year or so, you'll become like the rest of the vets here and lurk off topic and a few other subtopics, helping only really when there's questions that go unanswered or you're very well certified to help with, while letting other newer members take care of the rest. 

And people don't give as many details not because they're afraid of typing, but because they're more often than not just too lazy to type it all out. They don't think its important, even though it might be.

I'll definitely get burned out quickly if I need to keep asking the same questions over and over only to get ignored by the people asking for help. In some threads I wonder if the person really wants help or just needs somebody to talk to. There's definitely some thought provoking questions though that keep me on my toes, but those are definitely the rare threads these days.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

I'll definitely get burned out quickly if I need to keep asking the same questions over and over only to get ignored by the people asking for help. In some threads I wonder if the person really wants help or just needs somebody to talk to. There's definitely some thought provoking questions though that keep me on my toes, but those are definitely the rare threads these days.

Which is precisely why we lurk until we find the right threads to post in. ;)

When so many ops don't really want opinions/advice, but just to be validated in what they think, then why bother even catering? Just move on until you find something/someone who you feel is worth helping. 

kind of like the *cough* totally legit *cough* amd v. nvidia in off topic right now. It'll be deleted within the hour, and the op is an obvious troll, so why even validate em?

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

5 hours ago, KuJoe said:

The only reason for this I can think of is that people are under the impression that if you type too many words you'll get an invoice or get banned, neither of which will happen.

I hope this is hyperbole. If not, then I would say you're misrepreseting the actual problem. 

Writting a post is a balancing act. Of course, you don't want to just go "Need CPU. Roughly $150" that's too little information. 

But you also don't want to write a wall of text, that makes the reader quite before they've even started. 

If you were to write every detail of every minuscule thing, you would write a post where the problem that needs solving isn't apparent. 

You need to walk that tightrope and write a post that has adequate details so a qualified answer can be given, but without the post ending up longer than Atlas Shrugged.

It's probably this (and good ol' laziness) that leads people to write one sentence posts. 

If you write a wall of text the reader will just leave. If you write one sentence the reader will ask for the relevant details, thereby creating a line of communication. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Just now, Volbet said:

I hope this is hyperbole. If not, then I would say you're misrepreseting the actual problem. 

Yes, it was a joke. I was trying to get the point across with a joke. 

-KuJoe

I have a serious problem articulating myself...

However I do try..

So, if you find one of my threads, it's a me problem.

I think people do it to avoid walls of texts, those usually get avoided or ignored. 

But yes, always nicer to see some help going around. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Depends on context: for support or advise be verbose is better to have more info than needed than the other way around.

To comment opinions and such actually the opposite should apply: You need to be able to quickly and succinctly make your point otherwise you might not understand it well enough to make it to begin with.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Walls of text are bad. Case in point, I didn't read everything you posted OP cause I got the point within the first two sentences.

Information is good, but lots of words doesn't indicate a well informed post.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

7 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I've noticed a lot of threads being created lately with seemingly as few words as possible, sometimes even incomplete sentences that are hard to decipher without a secret decoder ring. The only reason for this I can think of is that people are under the impression that if you type too many words you'll get an invoice or get banned, neither of which will happen. So this thread is just a simple Public Service Announcement letting everybody know that it's really OK (even encouraged) to put more words into your posts to form a complete thought.

If you want help with something, provide some details. Heck, provide ALL of the details. Tell us what software and hardware you're using, tell us about your home network, tell us about the ambient temperature in your room, tell us about the box your pizza came in, tell us about your cat's favorite place to sleep, tell us anything that's relevant to the problem you're having. Too much information is infinitely better than not enough information, but not enough information is better than no information at all. So start with baby steps I guess. Also it's completely fine if you say you don't know the answer to our questions and don't know how to find the answer. Just let us know and we can guide you through the process to get you the information we need from you, but don't ignore the question as it will just delay you getting whatever issue you're having resolved. Google can help you much faster than we can in terms of finding things on your PC, but if you need some extra hand holding don't be afraid to ask for it.

If you want to talk about something then present your opinion about it along with what you're hoping to learn or accomplish with your thread, don't just make a statement like "pizza is a food. discuss." because that won't start a meaningful discussion.

I'm not saying you have to write a book, but some of the threads recently take almost a full page of replies just to understand what the OP is asking. And no, it's not a language barrier either, it's simply a lack of information.

I'm typing up this post because I, like others, truly want to help people here. I literally spend hours on this forum just to assist people with troubleshooting issues and providing guidance for their purchases and so forth. I really like helping people but lately people are making it really hard for people like me to help them.

So come on LTT community, let's all do our part to make this community even better by not limiting the amount of words we type and stop playing the "let's see how many pages it takes to troubleshoot my issue" game. :)

I would think most people would do that but here's the thing:

-most people that come here aren't 'fully techie' and probably just know the basics, maybe a fair bit more but need help diagnosing an issue, but don't know what information they need to diagnose it

for example, lets say someone is having problem with their keyboard connecting to a computer. now they don't know that it might be the OS/Motherboard's fault, so they only list out their keyboard (because that's the thing at fault, right? seems reasonable.. to me at least)

-people get annoyed at walls of text

I get annoyed.. sometimes.. mostly because I can't read it all without eventually skimming through it (yes, I did skim through your wall of text) and I have shit attention span

-its not coming to their brains of what to type out

a few minutes ago, I finally submitted an RMA to patriot about my memory.. but I couldn't write more,because the words weren't coming to my head

all I did was just say this ram is broke, its this ram (SKU here) and I'm using (hardware/os here)

I would write more, but I don't know what to write.. I assume vague statements like those don't help out the people who have to deal with RMAs

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 hours ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Walls of text are bad. Case in point, I didn't read everything you posted OP cause I got the point within the first two sentences.

Information is good, but lots of words doesn't indicate a well informed post.

This thread wasn't for you. :P

-KuJoe

18 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I'm at 1100 posts and I am starting to burn out. People keep ignoring my post because its $3 overbudget.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

18 hours ago, KuJoe said:

THANK YOU, this needed to be said.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

6 minutes ago, JDE said:

I'm at 1100 posts and I am starting to burn out. People keep ignoring my post because its $3 overbudget.

Why do you think I stopped posting in new builds and planning? It was for that exact reason, plus it usually results in really similar builds which are boring since I like to make a custom list each time.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

Why do you think I stopped posting in new builds and planning? It was for that exact reason, plus it usually results in really similar builds which are boring since I like to make a custom list each time.

Sometimes I've just become so bored in which I copypasta from here:

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

18 hours ago, Atmos said:

thats so accurate 

21 hours ago, KuJoe said:

-

As apposed to you novel.

I dont appreciate reading novels, but get to the point is what I like.

Just now, yathis said:

As apposed to you novel.

I dont appreciate reading novels, but get to the point is what I like.

Getting to the point would be good also, like I said in my post either works for me. :)

-KuJoe

Just now, yathis said:

Yeah like I typed, I dont read novels.

Glad to hear it, this thread wasn't for you but thanks for bumping it for me. :)

-KuJoe

21 hours ago, Atmos said:

Can confirm. I've relegated to a lot of lurking. Most of my recent activity is off topic.

I've been here for almost 3 years. August comes quickly ;) 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

18 minutes ago, yathis said:

Yeah like I typed, I dont read novels.

I dont think a longer post is always such a bad thing. I mean there are times where brevity would be preferential but idk

3 hours ago, JDE said:

Trust me, it happens. Happened to me a couple times. Happened to @Dan Castellaneta I'm sure.

I spend most of my time on a few discord servers mostly ones that he's on and of course DMs :P