is 24/7 Liquid Cooling safe?

Go to solution Solved by JakeNTech,

If you are using a AIO then you should not have any issues, just as long you occasionally look at the temps it should be fine. The only real damage that may happen when you use an AIO is the water evaporating from the system, thats why you need to monitor temps.  If you are unsure stick with air cooling, It's less likely to go wrong and when it does it is likely the fan has died, but I have on that has been used every day since 2003 and it still works fine. If it was me in your position I would sick with air. 

I am building a Ryzen 1800x server that will be running 24/7. I was considering using a liquid cooler, mainly the H100i from corsair but am concerned about it running 24/7.

I guess my main questions are: Is it bad for a liquid cooler to run 24/7? Can the water get so hot from 24/7 use that it no longer cools correctly? Is it safe or do I have to worry about leaks with it running 24/7?

If you are using a AIO then you should not have any issues, just as long you occasionally look at the temps it should be fine. The only real damage that may happen when you use an AIO is the water evaporating from the system, thats why you need to monitor temps.  If you are unsure stick with air cooling, It's less likely to go wrong and when it does it is likely the fan has died, but I have on that has been used every day since 2003 and it still works fine. If it was me in your position I would sick with air. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Its unconventional to use water cooling in a server build or something that needs to be on 24/7 because of the things that could possibly go wrong. Get a good air cooler and you can see the same kind of temps as the AIOs and safer.

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

My computer only shuts down for updates. 

990FX Sabertooth R2.0  VRM and Chipset

FX9350

HD 7850

2x 360mmx120mmx40mm RADs (overkill - theres only fans on one radiator)

no leaks or problems in a year and 1/2 

Thank you for the quick replies :). If anyone happens to know anything about the Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 I posted another question in the Air cooling page. Thanks again for the help!!!! 

12 minutes ago, Cuniac said:

I am building a Ryzen 1800x server that will be running 24/7. I was considering using a liquid cooler, mainly the H100i from corsair but am concerned about it running 24/7.

I guess my main questions are: Is it bad for a liquid cooler to run 24/7? Can the water get so hot from 24/7 use that it no longer cools correctly? Is it safe or do I have to worry about leaks with it running 24/7?

I wouldn't consider running an aio 24/7 for a server as 2 things could happen. 1 is it could leak and 2 is the pump could fail. Get a good air cooler.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB