Motivation

Mandm723

I am a mostly first time programmer trying to learn C++, but I am having trouble staying motivated to continue learning. Any help? Thanks!

I used to underestimate the power of a to-do list. I get so much more done now that I use one

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

1 hour ago, Hazy125 said:

I used to underestimate the power of a to-do list. I get so much more done now that I use one

^^ 

set some projects to do and do them. i.e., buy a textbook (like absolute c++ by Walter savitch) and do the problems chapter by chapter. 

kind of depends on why you are learning programming. If you are hoping to get into the industry as a professional, then you should probably figure out what it is that made you choose that path, double down on that choice, and commit to it. Getting a personal project going or contributing to open source projects are great ways to keep you busy and focused if that is your case.

If you are just learning for pure fun, then what specifically about programming attracts you to it? Try to find what it is that you find appealing about programming and try to find ways of focusing on that aspect.

Also, C++ is an amazing language (and my personal favorite), but it can be a bit syntax and concept heavy for brand new developers. If you feel you are being bogged down with things like pointers and memory mangement, try switching to a lighter language. For example, Python is a great first language, as it is a very syntactically simple language and will let you focus on the design of the code more. Or if you picked C++ for game development, C# is another common language in the game industry due to Unity that is a bit simpler than C++.

Note, I'm not discouraging learning C++ (again, absolutely my preferred language), just offering some options if that is what causing you to feel less invested in learning programming. 

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

I'd suggest learning something easier like Python first. It's far more beginner friendly and I think you can start doing fun and awesome stuff much quicker with it than with C++. As for how to stay motivated... well if I knew I'd be working on my many todo projects rather than be on LTT posting a comment :D

Okay I guess setting goals and starting on a really cool project can help with staying motivated. Also if you "really" want to learn something, make a bet with a family member where you'll have to give them something you'd rather keep if you fail. Having something to lose can be a pretty solid motivator. (ie analogous to paying for a course at university)

Basically Andrew Price's logic: (Yeah I realise it's intended for artists but I think it's applicable for nonartists too)