Monitor can run at 75Hz, should I?

Handsonic

Hi,

So I'm just wondering If I should use my monitor at 75Hz, in the manual says that the recommended resolution its 1920x1080 60hz, however in the list modes there's "1920x108075hz" should I go with that?

PS: The monitor doesn't say anything about maximum refresh rate. (It was a very cheap monitor around $100)

Well since it was cheap I wouldn't worry too much about running it out of spec, it's very unlikely that it will kill the monitor any time soon but if it does it's a pretty small loss. When you overclock anything it will decrease it's life, but in this case I think it's totally worth it. The difference between 60 and 75Hz is huge so if your monitor will do it I say go for it.   you'll most likely see some strange flickering or artefacting if you monitor can't handle it so just give it a try and see how it goes. 

1 minute ago, Fraser Cow said:

Well since it was cheap I wouldn't worry too much about running it out of spec, it's very unlikely that it will kill the monitor any time soon but if it does it's a pretty small loss. When you overclock anything it will decrease it's life, but in this case I think it's totally worth it. The difference between 60 and 75Hz is huge so if your monitor will do it I say go for it.   you'll most likely see some strange flickering or artefacting if you monitor can't handle it so just give it a try and see how it goes. 

Tbh it runs well, no flickering etc. Ill try to run for 1 hour to see how it goes.

If there's a problem you'll see it most in games. There are some refresh rate testing websites you can go to, to test it too.  I used to run an x-star Korean monitor at 96Hz and never had a problem with it so this should be fine.

No, you shouldn't.

Your monitor probably has a VGA (analogue) input. Whatever is coming through that connector is converted by a chip inside your monitor to a digital format (like what comes through DVI or HDMI or Displayport) and then the monitor can then use that digital signal to make up to 60 updates on the LCD panel each second.

For compatibility purposes, the chip that "captures" and processes the analogue signal is capable of receiving a signal with wide range of Hz (fps), let's say between 48 Hz and 75 Hz but almost always whatever comes out of that chip is 60 (6o frames per second).. so if the chip receives more than 60, it usually just drops the extra frames, and if it receives less it may just repeat existing frames in order to send 60 frames every second.

So if you configure a higher refresh rate, what you're doing is basically forcing the video card to send more individual "pixels" through the analogue cable within each second, which means that the information for each individual pixel is on the cable for less time, and the signal strength is usually weaker.

If the vga cable is of poor quality (cheap, thin, with minimal or no insulation around the signal wires), "noise" from outside the cable (produced by the video card or processors or the power supply, or radios or microwave ovens near the computer or even the monitor itself) can be strong enough to affect the information going through the cable at a particular moment, if the signal strength is reduced due to increased Hz value. In such case, you may see blurrier text, or you may see variations in brightness of the pixels or some artefacts on the image you see on the screen.

So basically, since you're still going to see only 60 updates a second on the LCD panel, you shouldn't configure a higher refresh rate, you're not benefiting from it.

It'll be fine, go for it if you want the extra 15hz.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Do the blur busters UFO test if you get any shuttering at 75hz within a minute or 2 then keep it at 60 my freesync monitor says 75hz but it shutters like crazy and looks beyond bad at 75hz.