My Windows 7 Ryzen 1600 experience

I got my Ryzen system put together.

Thanks to Asus for providing an easy install utility for installing windows 7 on AM4 and kaby lake systems.

It was easy enough to run. It takes you existing windows 7 iso/dvd inserts the needed usb drivers and you can either have install it all on a usb stick or create a new iso you can burn.

With this tool Windows 7 installed with out a hitch, all the usb ports worked just fine no.

Once it was installed I learned that the tool does setup your drive using GPT and not MBR. I installed to a 100gb partition on a 480gb ssd so I MBR would have been just fine.

Unfortunately this means that the windows loader would not work :(

I didn't want to mess with trying to get it to MBR and all that was likely  involved with having to inject the drivers myself so, I forked out 17$ cnd for a windows 7 pro oem key from a site I have used before. Windows activated over the internet with no issue.  The $17 was well worth the time saved IMO.

All the drivers installed just fine as well except for the AMD chipset drivers. COM suregot kept failing but the install completed

Same error with the ADM display drivers and radeon settings was not installed after a reboot

How ever after another reboot, downloading latest drivers from AMD site and selecting the clean install option the Display drivers went on just fine and so did radeon settings

I was able to apply some offline updates I have had to use to get around the really long wait time for windows 7 initial updates.

Started up windows updates had 38 important ones and about 60 optional ones

I'm doing the security updates right now. They seem to be installing without issue.:)

I read somewhere that Microsoft will now allow security update for 7th gen cpus. I'm ok with just security updates.

Next step is copy over my blizzard and steam libraries and should be good to go :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Mushkin ECO3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 470 4GB STRIX Video Card
Case: Deepcool KENDOMEN Red ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-22 13:03 EDT-0400

Windows 7 will work fine even as a clean install. You just won't get windows updates is dangerous for security reasons and future drivers.

There is a user made patch in circulation though to fake your CPU ID if you have a ryzen or kaby lake CPU.

Just get Win10 already, use it inactive if you can't afford a kinguin license and no more headaches.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Just get Win10 already, use it inactive if you can't afford a kinguin license and no more headaches.

The majority of people not switching to win 10 has nothing to do with a $30 kinguin licence. Plenty of people declined to upgrade when it was free.

The issues are:

- Some just like to stick with what they know.

- Some people value their privacy without having to make an effort to disable telemetry

- Some just don't like the change in layout.

Personally I like Win 10 and have telemetry and the cancerous silent game installs disabled via a reg edit.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Windows 7 will work fine even as a clean install. You just won't get windows updates is dangerous for security reasons and future drivers.

There is a user made patch in circulation though to fake your CPU ID if you have a ryzen or kaby lake CPU.

CPU-incompatibility patch covers BRISTOL RIDGE, not SUMMIT RIDGE. 

Aka APUs, not the actual mainstream processors. So this means Win7 is allowed on Ryzen still? Heh. 

idk

7 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

The issues are:

- Some just like to stick with what they know.

- Some people value their privacy without having to make an effort to disable telemetry

- Some just don't like the change in layout.

Personally I like Win 10 and have telemetry and the cancerous silent game installs disabled via a reg edit.

- The time he has invested on this mess he could have already customized his Win10 to be exactly the same as the Win7

- Download Spybot Anti-Beacon and be done with it already, also you are a foal if you believe Win 7 doesn't have its own telemetry

- The layout after made to look equal the win 7 is actually an enhanced version that it is hard not to prefer:

Spoiler

qYIKopp.jpg

And just to finalize, this is a lost battle any ways, do you see people still using WinXP? even those who sworn never move on from it couldn't go on, hardware and software need to be made for each other, Win 7 designed hardware already pass, it is time to update otherwise compatibility issues will only get worse and worse.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

- The time he has invested on this mess he could have already customized his Win10 to be exactly the same as the Win7

- Download Spybot Anti-Beacon and be done with it already, also you are a foal if you believe Win 7 doesn't have its own telemetry

- The layout after made to look equal the win 7 is actually an enhanced version that it is hard not to prefer:

Reveal hidden contents

qYIKopp.jpg

And just to finalize, this is a lost battle any ways, do you see people still using WinXP? even those who sworn never move on from it couldn't go on, hardware and software need to be made for each other, Win 7 designed hardware already pass, it is time to update otherwise compatibility issues will only get worse and worse.

I actually agree with you and am using win10 since launch with telemetry etc disabled, I was just playing devil's advocate and reasoning as to why some people want to hold on to 7. Also a lot of people held on to XP until 7 came around because 7 was a great OS and what vista should have been.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

devil's advocate

Maybe you should advocate in the cause you believe and reinforce to OP how he might be better off just letting go of Win7 already... :P

Personal Desktop":

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Maybe you should advocate in the cause you believe and reinforce to OP how he might be better off just letting go of Win7 already... :P

To play devil's advocate does not mean you have to follow your own opinion :) In fact it usually means the opposite.

devil's advocate
noun

1. a person who expresses a contentious opinion in order to provoke debate or test the strength of the opposing arguments.
    "the interviewer will need to play devil's advocate, to put the other side's case forward"

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

To play devil's advocate does not mean you have to follow your own opinion :) In fact it usually means the opposite.

devil's advocate
noun

1. a person who expresses a contentious opinion in order to provoke debate or test the strength of the opposing arguments.
    "the interviewer will need to play devil's advocate, to put the other side's case forward"

I know that is why I said maybe you should actually go by what you believe [:

Personal Desktop":

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

I know that is why I said maybe you should actually go by what you believe [:

If i wasn't going by what I personally believe then i'd be using win 7 ;) So I am already practicing what I believe but that doesn't mean I can't see or sometimes present the reasoning of others.

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I use windows 7 because I like it, I'm comfortable with it,  I prefer it. My choice not yours, you don't like it, don't comment.

Your welcome to use Windows 10 all you want. I personally don't think I'm better off with Windows 10.

Main reason is I just don't trust it, to use it on my main computer that I do all my day to day personal private stuff like online banking. If your naive enough to think you can make windows 10 completely private and that isn't gathering personal data they have no business gathering, then I got ocean front property in Alberta for you to buy at a great price..

I also believe if you payed for a product or service then there should be no adds, no data mining to make more money off me. You made your money off the OS by selling it to me that's enough done. If they offered a choice to pay for the OS and get an opt out option and support or use it for free without restriction (last time I checked personalizing is disable for non active windows 10) but in exchange they get to monetize you then fine. At least I have a choice.

Maybe its the fact I'm now in my 40s and I actually remember a time before the internet when Privacy was a real thing. I've watched it degrade to the point where governments had to enact laws to stop companies and the governments themselves from abusing people privacy in all sorts of ways.

Clearly I'm among the majority though given that still 40% + all computers still use Windows 7  and its likely to remain like this for a couple more years at least.

It didn't take all that much more time then windows 10 to install either. I guess you missed the part where I said the install went through with out a hitch. The AMD driver thing may have had nothing to do with Windows 7, may have just been user error on my part.

All the security updates installed without issue and Microsoft has apparently now said security updates will continue just optional update will stop. So yes it will remain as secure as windows can possibly be.

I do use windows 10 on 1 computers that I have. I had to become familiar with it for my job. Also I did take advantage of the free upgrade when it was available on all my systems then rolled back to 7 or just did a clean windows 7 reinstall at a later date, point it if I want I can upgrade later on.

Yes I hung onto XP till a couple years after 7 was then eventually switched over. I will likely have to switch over to Windows 10 eventually hopefully by then it will be more transparent and hopefully the EU or some body will force an opt out feature or even better devs will start porting more and more games and programs to Linux.

Why would I pay $36.99 cnd for a windows 10 key on Penquin King or was ever its called when I can spend $17 cnd on it at another site that is just as reputable.

Edited by kalnick
gramer, I'm trying here

Hey guys I need your help

My Windows 7 is on a SSD and with my old hardware it boots perfectly. But on Ryzen it does not boot and Windows Recovery says it can't repair it.

Notice: The same drive is working on old hardware, but not on Ryzen.

Anyone has an idea what I could do?

I just want to take my old Windows 7 and put it in my new PC, but it seems like I have to upgrade to Win 10 (I'm one of them who loves Win 7).

Or would I better invest my money to buy a virtualisation software to run my Win 7 on Linux on Ryzen?!? (I dont want to pay MS anything i mean they dont even support their products. lol.)

Just now, xHascox said:

Hey guys I need your help

My Windows 7 is on a SSD and with my old hardware it boots perfectly. But on Ryzen it does not boot and Windows Recovery says it can't repair it.

Notice: The same drive is working on old hardware, but not on Ryzen.

Anyone has an idea what I could do?

I just want to take my old Windows 7 and put it in my new PC, but it seems like I have to upgrade to Win 10 (I'm one of them who loves Win 7).

Or would I better invest my money to buy a virtualisation software to run my Win 7 on Linux on Ryzen?!? (I dont want to pay MS anything i mean they dont even support their products. lol.)

unfortunately you will have to do a fresh install of windows 7. 

Try the Asus easy install tool if your mobo manufacture does not have something similar. I imagine its using the  same usb drivers as everyone else.

Then you can try a KSM tool or some other tool to activate.

The convenience of paying 12.99 usd for a valid key to activate vs trying to get around the gpt partition thing or using another activation tool was worth it to me. 

I haven't tried yet but from what I have read online the key will activate Windows 10 if you eventually go down that road.

Once your done with the install I just copied over all the relevant user folders and app data folders.

I still needed to install some of the programs and games again but all my settings and everything was still like it was on the old system,

1 hour ago, kalnick said:

Again just the time you wasted on this bible you could have edited a win10 into win 7 with the same safety and functionality :P

Personal Desktop":

The real question is: Why is Linux capable to boot on old AND Ryzen Hardware without needing anything and Windows is like wasting money and/or time to get the same thing as before?

:| Thank you guys anyways ^^ 

Am I correct that if I upgrade to Win10 everything stays the same as before (all games installed etc) and I just have to edit the Interface so it looks like Win7 ? ^^

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Again just the time you wasted on this bible you could have edited a win10 into win 7 with the same safety and functionality :P

You mean the illusion of the same "safety" and "functionality", but it will still be Windows 10, you can't change that.

3 minutes ago, kalnick said:

You mean the illusion of the same "safety" and "functionality", but it will still be Windows 10, you can't change that.

I don't really care, but you and I both know you are soon to be forced to give in such childish attitude, you talk about wanting to be "safe" so much but you're using an outdated OS that gets more and more security holes by the time, I prefer Microsoft having useless data from me (which it still doesn't since I have telemetry fully disable anyways) than making it easy for hackers in Russia to get my credit card information.

Personal Desktop":

1 minute ago, xHascox said:

The real question is: Why is Linux capable to boot on old AND Ryzen Hardware without needing anything and Windows is like wasting money and/or time to get the same thing as before?

:| Thank you guys anyways ^^ 

Am I correct that if I upgrade to Win10 everything stays the same as before (all games installed etc) and I just have to edit the Interface so it looks like Win7 ? ^^

Yes that is correct. How ever it would not be activated unless you currently have a valid Windows 7 key.  Unfortunately pirated windows 7 can no longer get a free upgrade. With the possible exception of persons with accessibility issues. I read that somewhere.

If you are going to upgrade don't activate with an OEM WIndows 7/8/8.1/10 key it till you have it in your new system and it up and running. Digital entitlements are tied to the motherboard.

Just now, kalnick said:

If you are going to upgrade don't activate with an OEM WIndows 7/8/8.1/10 key it till you have it in your new system and it up and running. Digital entitlements are tied to the motherboard.

Can I activate Win 10 with a non-pirated Win 7 Key? (I've upgraded to Win 10 once and back to Win 7)

5 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I don't really care, but you and I both know you are soon to be forced to give in such childish attitude, you talk about wanting to be "safe" so much but you're using an outdated OS that gets more and more security holes by the time, I prefer Microsoft having useless data from me (which it still doesn't since I have telemetry fully disable anyways) than making it easy for hackers in Russia to get my credit card information.

You mean you think you have all telemetry disabled, you think its useless data.  lol

Nothing childish about it . Its freakin scary what Microsoft can do with what they have. Put you views and opinions aside for a bit do some research and find out exactly what is going on. To think that programs like antispybot or shutup10 (witch I use on the windows 10 system I have) work 100%, 100% of the time is naive. 

No there is no way they can "force" anyone to upgrade to anything. What you don't seem to understand is that Microsoft was actually forced to extend support for XP because vista was shit and government and corporate customer who are really where Microsoft makes its money refused to upgrade. Oems offered VIsta downgrades to XP for new systems as well like they are currently doing for Windows 10 to Windows 7. It will likely be a while longer before all government and enterprise clients are comfortable and ready to switch. The nature of Windows 10 being a service now even with the abillity to defer upgrades for 9 months is not enough time to go over new updates to find compatibility issues or ensure that it meats the needed level of security they need to ensure.

The telecom company I worked for only just upgraded from XP to windows 7 2 years ago.

Some parts of the Federal Government  here in Canada switched to windows 7 from XP in the last 4-5 years. This is very common practice world wide in government and big enterprise. There are in fact currently still businesses in the world using WIndows 98 systems to run equipment because that all the hardware manufacture supports.

The only world were OS upgrades move on Microsoft desired schedule for the most part is the Consumer market. That is mainly because the majority of consumers just buy the newest oem offer and don't think about or educate themselves about the OS they just want it to do what they want it to do. 

So its possible since WIndows 10 is in fact very new buy most government and enterprise standards and Well Windows 8 went the way of VIsta. Microsoft might find themselves forced to extend support.

The other thing your not considering is that the hardware manufactures have not abandoned Windows 7 on these new platforms. In the case of Asus they have made it very easy to install windows 7 on the 7th gen platforms.

Amd still produces Windows 7 AM4 chip set drivers has well.

WIndows 7 I'm sure will be around a bit longer. Microsoft will likely have to make more changes to privacy and updates  in Windows 10 as time goes by. Most likely because the big money clients, governments and courts demand it.

5 hours ago, xHascox said:

Can I activate Win 10 with a non-pirated Win 7 Key? (I've upgraded to Win 10 once and back to Win 7)

With a retail key yes you can move your existing windows 10 license.

If it is an OEM key then no you can't, its tied to your current motherboard.

If it your Windows 7 came with the computer their is a good chance it is an OEM license :(

On 4/22/2017 at 4:27 PM, kalnick said:

I use windows 7 because I like it, I'm comfortable with it,  I prefer it. My choice not yours, you don't like it, don't comment.

Your welcome to use Windows 10 all you want. I personally don't think I'm better off with Windows 10.

Main reason is I just don't trust it, to use it on my main computer that I do all my day to day personal private stuff like online banking. If your naive enough to think you can make windows 10 completely private and that isn't gathering personal data they have no business gathering, then I got ocean front property in Alberta for you to buy at a great price..

I also believe if you payed for a product or service then there should be no adds, no data mining to make more money off me. You made your money off the OS by selling it to me that's enough done. If they offered a choice to pay for the OS and get an opt out option and support or use it for free without restriction (last time I checked personalizing is disable for non active windows 10) but in exchange they get to monetize you then fine. At least I have a choice.

Maybe its the fact I'm now in my 40s and I actually remember a time before the internet when Privacy was a real thing. I've watched it degrade to the point where governments had to enact laws to stop companies and the governments themselves from abusing people privacy in all sorts of ways.

Clearly I'm among the majority though given that still 40% + all computers still use Windows 7  and its likely to remain like this for a couple more years at least.

It didn't take all that much more time then windows 10 to install either. I guess you missed the part where I said the install went through with out a hitch. The AMD driver thing may have had nothing to do with Windows 7, may have just been user error on my part.

All the security updates installed without issue and Microsoft has apparently now said security updates will continue just optional update will stop. So yes it will remain as secure as windows can possibly be.

I do use windows 10 on 1 computers that I have. I had to become familiar with it for my job. Also I did take advantage of the free upgrade when it was available on all my systems then rolled back to 7 or just did a clean windows 7 reinstall at a later date, point it if I want I can upgrade later on.

Yes I hung onto XP till a couple years after 7 was then eventually switched over. I will likely have to switch over to Windows 10 eventually hopefully by then it will be more transparent and hopefully the EU or some body will force an opt out feature or even better devs will start porting more and more games and programs to Linux.

Why would I pay $36.99 cnd for a windows 10 key on Penquin King or was ever its called when I can spend $17 cnd on it at another site that is just as reputable.

To be honest with you. I understand where you come from. Windows 10 not only is a privacy nightmare, but soooooo many people have issues with the major updates. Due to the concerns with quality and privacy Im slowly moving to Linux. Once I graduate in December with my Bachelors degree I will be moving to Linux full time. Granted I might dual boot with Windows 10 for gaming purposes, but I will fully move my day to day activities to a Linux install.  Because sadly I dont think MS is going to become any more transparent then they are now. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.