Membrane vs Mechanical for typing

AP_97
Go to solution Solved by SpaceGhostC2C,
9 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

Its more up to personal preference than anything. I would try out both an which ever you prefer go with that

Definitely this. You can see examples of both opinions in this thread. Personally, I'm OK gaming with mechanical keys, but I can't stand them for typing (I ended up bringing my own keyboard to the office for this reason).

With that said, I'd go a step further and say that mechanical vs membrane is not the most important question for typing. Ergonomics are an order of magnitude more important than the keys. Hence, I fully endorse the advice to test first (unless you can already tell from experience by just looking at them). Make sure to try them in a position you will typically type in, and see where your palm would goes, how's the key size and fell, the distance between keys, etc. Ultimately, the best keyboard will be the one with which you spend less time thinking about how to use it / aware that you are using it, and more time oblivious to it with your mind in the content of what you are typing.

Hello.

i've been using my trusty Logitech K110 membrane keyboard and i'm satisfied with it for typing for the last 2 months i've been using it (i don't use the keyboard for gaming, i use my DualShock 3 for that. i suck at using keyboards for gaming :p).

However i've been wondering since this is a popular topic among keyboards. is upgrading to mechanical switches beneficial for typing?

If so, what switches do you all recommend that is cheap for beginners?

If you learn to not bottom out the keys and only press down to the actuation point, then you can type faster. If you always bottom out (like me) you probably won't notice a difference. As for switches, I love MX Browns, but MX Blues are also good if you don't mind the noise.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Its more up to personal preference than anything. I would try out both an which ever you prefer go with that

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

My suggestion, as @Maybach123 mentions, would be to go out to a store and try out as many KB's as possible. Bring along a test sheet or remember an easy, but lengthy, phrase and type it on each KB. It's how I ended up going to each of my KB's and ending with the G910 this past holiday season.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

It's just a matter of personal preference. I bought a quality membrane keyboard instead of a mechanical one for the same price because I preferred the keys to be smaller and quieter. Both types have advantages and disadvantages.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I prefer apples keyboard. It's the closest to a laptop keyboard I know of and has small travel which I think makes it faster. I might just be insane in the membrane but I used a mech once and didn't like it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I prefer apples keyboard. It's the closest to a laptop keyboard I know of and has small travel which I think makes it faster. I might just be insane in the membrane but I used a mech once and didn't like it

Same reason my bro got a razer deathstalker, though I personally prefer browns for typing as membrane (especially laptop style) hurts my hands

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

7 hours ago, Damascus said:

Same reason my bro got a razer deathstalker, though I personally prefer browns for typing as membrane (especially laptop style) hurts my hands

true, my left wrist is very stiff from typing on a laptop then a membrane keyboard for the past 7 years.

switching over to mechanical is worth it. i use the brown switch and love it

if you want to type normally, then they provide good tactile feedback

but if you want to game and double tap, they are easier than blues as they are heavier and clickier

best of both worlds imo,

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

9 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

Definitely this. You can see examples of both opinions in this thread. Personally, I'm OK gaming with mechanical keys, but I can't stand them for typing (I ended up bringing my own keyboard to the office for this reason).

With that said, I'd go a step further and say that mechanical vs membrane is not the most important question for typing. Ergonomics are an order of magnitude more important than the keys. Hence, I fully endorse the advice to test first (unless you can already tell from experience by just looking at them). Make sure to try them in a position you will typically type in, and see where your palm would goes, how's the key size and fell, the distance between keys, etc. Ultimately, the best keyboard will be the one with which you spend less time thinking about how to use it / aware that you are using it, and more time oblivious to it with your mind in the content of what you are typing.