Some suggestions for Floatplane

AlTech

So, I watched the Floatplane video featuring @Slick released to YouTube on April 21st and I have some suggestions. 

1. Apps

You mentioned apps in your video and supporting various platforms.

I'd like to suggest using UWP for support Windows 10 Desktop, Mobile, HoloLens and Xbox One since you mentioned wanting to support Consoles and More. It wouldn't require too much more effort to support Windows 10 Mobile and it would be really amazing if you could, considering that there are users on the forum which use Windows 10 Mobile. I know it might not be the most attractive platform but making a UWP app means you guys can target the platforms I identified above in the same codebase. If you guys need any help or want to ask me questions or consult me on stuff then I'd absolutely love to help.

2. Floatplane Tier system

I recognize that Floatplane will be expensive to run and I have several ideas about that. Right now Floatplane serves as an early access platform but I think that could possibly change.

Instead of having a 1 tier paid system, I think there should be an AD supported Tier along with a few paid tiers.

Bronze Tier: 6-10 second pre-roll video ADs or baked in ADs/sponsor spots. No early access to videos. Limited to 1080p playback.

Silver Tier: No ADs, Early Access, Limited to 1080p playback.

Gold Tier: No ADs, Early Access, Limited to 4K playback

As for payment, if you guys allow more creators to upload their videos to floatplane then I would recommend some kind of payment per video view rather than a pay per month. How this would work is that after X amount of seconds, the user would pay per Watch Time Minute. So if somebody watched a 60 minute WAN Show on Floatplane, they could paid 60 x Watch Time Per Minute Price. And the per minute price could be something like $0.10 for the Silver Tier or like $0.20 per Watch Time Minute on Gold Tier. The reason I'm suggesting this is because I currently pay for Spotify Premium and I'm not a fan of the practice of charging monthly or yearly with marginal amounts of money going to the creators/artists every time I play their media. I would rather pay a dedicated amount of money every time I playback media than a percentage of the money I pay per month/year. Otherwise, there is the option to charge people subscriptions per channel like $2/month for Silver Tier 

3. More ways to pay for FloatPlane

The current turnoff for using Floatplane for myself is the lack of payment options supported. Options to allow people to pay for Floatplane in one time payments instead of forcing people to pay on a subscription basis. I am currently unable to pay on a subscription basis. For Spotify, they allow me to pay 12 months at a time through their gift cards system.

That is all for now. 

Hope to see Floatplane developed further in the future.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),