Overclocking Founders Edition vs AIB Graphics on Water

Hi guys, 

I am just finishing off building a new water cooled pc and I need some advice when it comes to a new graphics card. 

I plan to run the new graphics card in a custom EK water cooled loop. I will add it to my cpu loop which is a 7700k in a 360mm+240mm set up with EK vardar fans. 

Should I get a founder's edition 1080ti, or a pre-overclocked card like the MSI 1080ti Gaming X?

Each scenario sees me adding an AM waterblock to the gpu. So the question is really - do founder's edition gpus overclock just as well as custom pcb aib cards when on water?

Cheers, 

Mike 

4 minutes ago, Boothy128 said:

Hi guys, 

I am just finishing off building a new water cooled pc and I need some advice when it comes to a new graphics card. 

I plan to run the new graphics card in a custom EK water cooled loop. I will add it to my cpu loop which is a 7700k in a 360mm+240mm set up with EK vardar fans. 

Should I get a founder's edition 1080ti, or a pre-overclocked card like the MSI 1080ti Gaming X?

Each scenario sees me adding an AM waterblock to the gpu. So the question is really - do founder's edition gpus overclock just as well as custom pcb aib cards when on water?

Cheers, 

Mike 

If i recall correctly, the AIBs should have more power phases, so you would most likely be able to overclock it further. I would go with one.

7 minutes ago, RektSkrubs said:

If i recall correctly, the AIBs should have more power phases, so you would most likely be able to overclock it further. I would go with one.

Not all custom PCB cards have waterblocks available though. 

More power phases does not necessarily mean better overclocking. If you don't have luck with silicon lottery, the additional power phases won't help much.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

15 minutes ago, Boothy128 said:

Hi guys, 

Cheers, 

Mike 

With Pascal based cards, the only thing that truly matters are temps.  The cooler you run them, the better they boost and hold.  Upgraded power delivery setups beyond that of the FE or reference cards are useless when you are talking about ambient cooling methods (air or water).  They matter when extreme cooling is used, but that's about it.

If you are going to water cool them, a FE or reference card with a waterblock will work perfectly.  You get zero gains from aftermarket power delivery designs.  In the end, it will boil down to how cool you can cool the GPU itself and how good the silicon is.  

Good luck.

19 minutes ago, Boothy128 said:

Hi guys, 

Cheers, 

Mike 

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

With Pascal based cards, the only thing that truly matters are temps.  The cooler you run them, the better they boost and hold.  Upgraded power delivery setups beyond that of the FE or reference cards are useless when you are talking about ambient cooling methods (air or water).  They matter when extreme cooling is used, but that's about it.

If you are going to water cool them, a FE or reference card with a waterblock will work perfectly.  You get zero gains from aftermarket power delivery designs.  In the end, it will boil down to how cool you can cool the GPU itself and how good the silicon is.  

Good luck.

As stated above it doesn't really matter as temps are really the limiting factor along with the silicon  you end up with some chips are better then others and its random whether you get a bad, good, or great chip.  In this case i'd go with a FE edition from EVGA or one of their cheaper models that has a block available for it as they have the best warranty.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Good luck.

Hey, thanks for your advice. Have you seen any articles that discuss this topic? What you say is logical. It would be great to see some benchmark numbers though 

I noticed your 5.3ghz OC on your 7700k - wow! 

Finalky, may I ask if are you using FE (Reference) 1080s in your Sli setup, and what mhz range do they fall in when under load? 

3 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

As stated above it doesn't really matter as temps are really the limiting factor along with the silicon  you end up with some chips are better then others and its random whether you get a bad, good, or great chip.  In this case i'd go with a FE edition from EVGA or one of their cheaper models that has a block available for it as they have the best warranty.

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at EVGA for the FE card already. I heard that they have a good warranty and customer care when it came to watercooling. 

I think someone said that Msi also have decent warranty, but I've had two Msi 980ti cards die in the last 12 months so I'll be skipping them for a while 

10 minutes ago, Boothy128 said:

Hey, thanks for your advice. Have you seen any articles that discuss this topic? What you say is logical. It would be great to see some benchmark numbers though 

Check out the LTT benchmark threads at the top of the GPU section. 

I noticed your 5.3ghz OC on your 7700k - wow! 

Yeah, it's a great chip. I've binned a lot of 7700ks to find the good ones. 

Finalky, may I ask if are you using FE (Reference) 1080s in your Sli setup, and what mhz range do they fall in when under load? 

Yes, I'm using EVGA FE 1080s at the moment, but will be switching to EVGA FE 1080 TIs at the beginning of next week. 

Overclocked boost on my 1080s can go as high as 2200 MHz when cool and under lighter loads such as Unigine Valley.  Heavier loads can cause drops down to the lower 2100s.

Water, especially customs loops with full blocks can really help push these cards to their limits. The FE power delivery is more then enough. 

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Check out the LTT benchmark threads at the top of the GPU section. 

Yeah, it's a great chip. I've binned a lot of 7700ks to find the good ones. 

Yes, I'm using EVGA FE 1080s at the moment, but will be switching to EVGA FE 1080 TIs at the beginning of next week. 

Overclocked boost on my 1080s can go as high as 2200 MHz when cool and under lighter loads such as Unigine Valley.  Heavier loads can cause drops down to the lower 2100s.

Water, especially customs loops with full blocks can really help push these cards to their limits. The FE power delivery is more then enough. 

2200mhz displayed in unigine or msi afterburner (or similar program)? Cuz Unigine is bugged a shows higher clock speeds then it's actually getting.  Otherwise yea 2100-2200 is pretty good, but still not worth the price of water cooling by itself these gpu's can hit 2000s +/- on air.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

19 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

2200mhz displayed in unigine or msi afterburner (or similar program)? Cuz Unigine is bugged a shows higher clock speeds then it's actually getting.  Otherwise yea 2100-2200 is pretty good, but still not worth the price of water cooling by itself these gpu's can hit 2000s +/- on air.

I wouldn't give you clock speeds based off of what Valley, Heaven, or Superposition report. 

Hitting and holding are two different things, but the "worth" is up to you.  I upgrade GPUs regularly and waterblocks each time. It's obviously worth it to me.

I should add, most would view a custom loop to cool a CPU enough for an extra 100 MHz, not worth the added expense. I mean we are talking a roughly 2% gain in processing power. 

18 hours ago, jj9987 said:

Not all custom PCB cards have waterblocks available though. 

More power phases does not necessarily mean better overclocking. If you don't have luck with silicon lottery, the additional power phases won't help much.

This.  Be careful with AIB cards.  Not all get full blocks.

Of course, you can always smack an universal block onto the card.  EVGA tends to put the thermal mid plate on most cards.  Works great with an universal block, just make sure to have a fan blowing across the plate.

18 hours ago, Boothy128 said:

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at EVGA for the FE card already. I heard that they have a good warranty and customer care when it came to watercooling. 

I think someone said that Msi also have decent warranty, but I've had two Msi 980ti cards die in the last 12 months so I'll be skipping them for a while 

Yep, EVGA don't void warranty if you smack a block on or redo TIM.  Plus, the warranty follows the card.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I've just ordered an EVGA FE 1080ti - can't wait until i arrives tomorrow!

EK now have this block available for it: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-1080-gtx-ti-nickel which I'll order - unless anyone can suggest a better alternative?

For example, I can get the Titan XP block for cheaper, and I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone with one of these installed on a Ti

21 minutes ago, Boothy128 said:

I've just ordered an EVGA FE 1080ti - can't wait until i arrives tomorrow!

EK now have this block available for it: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-1080-gtx-ti-nickel which I'll order - unless anyone can suggest a better alternative?

For example, I can get the Titan XP block for cheaper, and I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone with one of these installed on a Ti

That's exactly what I ordered for my 1080 Ti SLI. 

2 x nickel 1080 Ti waterblocks and 2 x black 1080 Ti backplates. I got all of it for $247.47 during the EK Easter egg hunt sale because I was able to find all of the eggs. 

The best thing about the EK 1080 Ti blocks is that they come with the new I/O bracket so that the entire card will fit into a single slot with the waterblock installed.  That is not included with the current Titan X (Pascal) waterblock. 

Hmm, deciding whether to get the back plate or not. £27 is a lot for what it is. 

Do you think that the FE backplate will still fit after the water block has been fitted?

I was still using the original backplate on my watercooled msi gaming 6G 980ti because I liked how it looked (before it smoked last weekend). Can't say that the 1080ti FE backplate thrills me...

9 hours ago, Boothy128 said:

Hmm, deciding whether to get the back plate or not. £27 is a lot for what it is. 

Do you think that the FE backplate will still fit after the water block has been fitted?

I was still using the original backplate on my watercooled msi gaming 6G 980ti because I liked how it looked (before it smoked last weekend). Can't say that the 1080ti FE backplate thrills me...

I think I saw that the stock backplate will fit but it needs to be modified by drilling out the screw holes to accommodate the larger diameter screws that hold the block on.  Not supported by EK but several have done it

edit: also just for anyones information, Watercool has a dedicated full cover 1080ti block in stock (just like Titan x but with NO DVI cutout) and they will be releasing a black/plexi version within the next week I hope

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q