Soft drinks around the world questions

TheGleaner

I have heard that it matters where soft drinks are made, such as coke is made with real sugar just about anywhere else than the us. I have also heard that in Norway/Sweden they have some of the best water in the world(treatment/filtering/etc) so through that logic, shouldn't a soft drink from there taste better and how would one go about importing some? 

I have been around the world, but I drank beers, large quantities of beer. I blacked out and came to somewhere in Germany.

UK Brue is ok

Soft drinks are just sugar water, empty calories.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3178341/What-Coca-Cola-REALLY-does-body-just-hour.html

I want one of those with 25 or so beers in ya in a few hours, or a bottle of Vodka

I'm not sure the water affects it that much, as so much is done to it.

The real sugar thing is a huge deal IMO. I went to the states about 10 years ago and found their coke practically undrinkable, whereas I love the UK version. 

I had sodas in Mexico, it's hard to tell the difference.

The chips there are fucking better than in the U.S. 100%

They're more unhealthy compared, but no one eats hot Cheetos to be healthy v.v

4 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

I have heard that it matters where soft drinks are made, such as coke is made with real sugar just about anywhere else than the us. I have also heard that in Norway/Sweden they have some of the best water in the world(treatment/filtering/etc) so through that logic, shouldn't a soft drink from there taste better and how would one go about importing some? 

I heard Israel has the best water. They do reverse osmosis and stuff.

i like trains 🙂

Water helps but the actual formula it's slightly different: I am fairly certain you can use the exact same water source and apply the Coca Cola formula from the US to one and one for Latin America on the other and they would be noticeable different tasting simply because the American formula is noticeable sweeter tasting.

Being close to the US border lets people in my city confirm things like this and it's not just soft drinks: Chocolates are also notorious Hersey has a large partner/concession operator here in Mexico that produces candy bars branded exactly like the USA ones but they taste quite different from the ones you import directly from the US which are again far sweeter tasting (almost to a fault really) and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So I was somewhat right about it tasting better from other countries, so how/where would you go about buying and importing it to the northern US/ southern Canada? I know at a store about 100 miles away, you can get mexican coke, but is extremely popular due to the influx of people from the oil boom ( alot of people from the 'far south') so they are always out.

Interesting tidbit, Coca-Cola produced in The United States and Canada for passover doesn't use HFCS either.  Though it's only available for 2-3 weeks of the year and you'll only find it in stores that cater to those of the Jewish faith.  Since I live in a very Jewish region of the city (I'd say 'Neighborhood' but it's a lot bigger than that) my local Loblaws (A major Canadian chain of big box grocery stores) stocks Passover Coke in it's kosher section during that time of the year.

passover.thumb.jpg.d685491d57b86bc20e485c14cefc8f67.jpg

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Interesting tidbit, Coca-Cola produced in The United States and Canada for passover doesn't use HFCS either.  Though it's only available for 2-3 weeks of the year. :)

passover.thumb.jpg.d685491d57b86bc20e485c14cefc8f67.jpg

Well thats interesting, but I've never seen that where I live, is it for certain areas only?

Just now, TheGleaner said:

Well thats interesting, but I've never seen that where I live, is it for certain areas only?

Sorry, I edited my post since you quoted it, but you'd only see it in places that cater to Jewish communities, including grocery stores with Kosher sections.

10 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

-Snip-

That's actually interesting to know.. now time to google what HFCS are...

As far as different flavours, and whose better (without starting WW3 over nationalism/patriotism), it depends heavily on the taste of the region. When I was in Mexico, I tended to find the coca-cola/pepsi sweeter than I was used to (as well as the sprite/7-up, etc.). When I was in Europe I found it about the same as Canadian pop. I do know certain places get better flavours/more flavours than us in Canada (i.e. Vanilla Coke in USA)

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

A good friend of mine always has two things she do every time she travels to a new country. 

She has to eat at a local McDonald's and she has to taste a local Fanta.

According to her, Fanta in the US and Canada is much sweeter than it is in Denmark, and Fanta in Japan and China is also sweeter but also tasts more like actual orange. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Sorry, I edited my post since you quoted it, but you'd only see it in places that cater to Jewish communities, including grocery stores with Kosher sections.

So more or less larger city centers, since I don't think our grocery stores here have that, then again I never actually looked..

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

9 minutes ago, Volbet said:

A good friend of mine always has two things she do every time she travels to a new country. 

According to her, Fanta in the US and Canada is much sweeter than it is in Denmark, and Fanta in Japan and China is also sweeter but also tasts more like actual orange. 

Also regional flavours of  Crush and Fanta occur too, east coast of Canada and I think California have Pineapple Crush, and some Fanta variants.

Current System Specs:

We Americans are idiots for choosing a sugar "substitute" thinking that it is healthier than carbohydrates of any kind. Same thing happened in the pet industry with people giving dry food to animals since it "sounds" healthier for them, i.e. bullshit marketing.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

the only soft drink I have:

blog_23_pepsicans1.jpg

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Drake10114 said:

now time to google what HFCS are...

High Fructose Corn Syrup.  Though in Canada you'd see it marked as 'Sugar/Glucose-Fructose' on ingrediants lists.  HFCS is used as a sweetner in most drinks in Canada and the United States as a result of multiple economic factors.

1) The United States and Canada do not have the most ideal environments for the growing of sugar cane.  However Sugar Beets can also be grown in more areas of these counties though their yields are lower.

2) Protectionist taxation of cane sugar imports from other counties such as Mexico.

3) Government subsidies on corn production lower the prices of sweeteners derived from corn.

Just now, Drake10114 said:

Also regional flavours of  Crush and Fanta occur too, east coast of Canada and I think California have Pineapple Crush, and some Fanta variants.

Ohh, yeah there are plenty of regional Fanta flavours aswell.

I once tasted mango flavoured Fanta in Nigeria and I haven't been able to find it anyhwhere else. 

There's also all the ´liquide salats´ they have in Japan.

SaltyWatermelonMain.jpg

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

-Snip-

Interesting to know, thank you. Makes sense how some w/ cane sugar (Coke has 1, and some other smaller brands like Jones, etc.) taste awesome.

Current System Specs:

10 minutes ago, Volbet said:

-Snip-

I usually don't dislike flavours w/o giving it a taste.. but my god... that would taste crappy I imagine, then again Japan has chocolate on french fries.. Can't speak for the flavour, but we at least go full heart attack w/ poutines.

Current System Specs:

11 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

I'm not sure the water affects it that much, as so much is done to it.

The real sugar thing is a huge deal IMO. I went to the states about 10 years ago and found their coke practically undrinkable, whereas I love the UK version. 

Yeah, our coka a cola taste like crap.

Reason the Mexican cokes get sold out fast here in the States.  Plus, taste better when doing mix drinks too.

Though if I want an orange soda.  I find one of these. (Down here you can buy them at Sam's Club in huge 30 packs)

512LnL-5RnL._SY355_.jpg

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

18 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

So thats out for me then...

17 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

That's actually interesting to know.. now time to google what HFCS are...

As far as different flavours, and whose better (without starting WW3 over nationalism/patriotism), it depends heavily on the taste of the region. When I was in Mexico, I tended to find the coca-cola/pepsi sweeter than I was used to (as well as the sprite/7-up, etc.). When I was in Europe I found it about the same as Canadian pop. I do know certain places get better flavours/more flavours than us in Canada (i.e. Vanilla Coke in USA)

See we had relatives come over from Norway and their response was 'you water is terrible and you pop is way different from ours' which for some reason or another, they had brought some over and it did taste different/better.

16 minutes ago, Volbet said:

See I think here in the US the sweetness of it is covering up the flavor more

14 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

We Americans are idiots for choosing a sugar "substitute" thinking that it is healthier than carbohydrates of any kind. Same thing happened in the pet industry with people giving dry food to animals since it "sounds" healthier for them, i.e. bullshit marketing.

lovely thinking ain't it? the local sugar beet growers kinda hate the corn growers for this reason and the ones who grow both have to watch what they say on this

9 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yeah, our coka a cola taste like crap.

Reason the Mexican cokes get sold out fast here in the States.  Plus, taste better when doing mix drinks too.

I like the taste of the Mexican coke, but it reminds me of relatives saying their standards are not the same as the us, thus the reason why one of them has a Mexican beer bottle with 3 differnt colors of lipstick on it(reused bottle). 

Isn't Jarritos from Sweden?

Edit: Nevermind I was thinking of Julmist

Just now, TheGleaner said:

I like the taste of the Mexican coke, but it reminds me of relatives saying their standards are not the same as the us, thus the reason why one of them has a Mexican beer bottle with 3 differnt colors of lipstick on it(reused bottle)

Re-using glass bottles is the norm in a great many places, this certainly does include Mexico but even here in Canada, beer and other bottles are collected, washed and re-used.  However they are all extensively washed and relabeled, even in places you may regard as having lower food quality standards (It's not rocket science to wash bottles for re-use) so I rather doubt that any lipstick on the bottle was a result of it being re-used.

6 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

I like the taste of the Mexican coke, but it reminds me of relatives saying their standards are not the same as the us, thus the reason why one of them has a Mexican beer bottle with 3 differnt colors of lipstick on it(reused bottle)

Every culture has different norms.

Just walk into a US bathroom then a British bathroom.  HUGE difference.  (I was in Brit for two weeks)  I miss the pint size cider.  That was some good cider over there.  Or, ask peeps overseas how US bread taste.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

So anyway How do we(US/Canada) Import it over here?

Do we use amazon.no or something?