Looking for a very specific device that doesnt seem to exist

On most projectors there's a feature that lets you "freeze" the currently displayed image so that the computer connected to it can do something else while still keeping that image up. I was wondering if there was a way to create some HDMI pass through that lets you do the same. I understand that this feature does exist on some hi-fi equipment, but I don't wish to spend $3k for one simple function.

Am I just not finding it or does something like this not exist?

All I want is some kind of "freeze" feature that works through HDMI.

I understand Macs can already do something quite similar to this, and with Windows you can just extend your desktop to the second display, however I do not want to use the extend for this use. If there is some kind of way for software to do this, please do tell. The computer I'm aiming to do this is on is running Windows 7 and it needs to either run through software or HDMI.

Depending on how exactly you want/need this to work, you could simply take a screen shot...

Or, you could build a RaspberryPi w/ a capture device and write a script or a program to essentially do the same thing for you. You could even potentially write the code so that a physical button press or switch activates the screenshot-then-output-to-display script.

Not exactly elegant though.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Depending on how exactly you want/need this to work, you could simply take a screen shot...

Or, you could build a RaspberryPi w/ a capture device and write a script or a program to essentially do the same thing for you. You could even potentially write the code so that a physical button press or switch activates the screenshot-then-output-to-display script.

Elegance doesn't matter. A RaspberryPi would definetly be interesting to work with but I have no prior experience. Would you happen to know if most of what I want to do would already be online?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

25 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

But how would you have both a display input and a display output on the Pi?

Don't they have just one HDMI port?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you could add a HDMI switch and switch between the main input to the Pi, then switch back

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-HDMI-1-Out-Switch-Cable/dp/B0018DQYQ2?th=1

but that's now two buttons to push...

welp.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

but that's now two buttons to push...

welp.

It wouldn't even work properly...

This problem is oddly difficult.

Just now, fr33man said:

It wouldn't even work properly...

This problem is oddly difficult.

Hm..

Can the pi even input video through HDMI?

Desktop:

Laptop:

9 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

But how would you have both a display input and a display output on the Pi?

Don't they have just one HDMI port?

As I said in my post, you'd need to use the Pi with a capture device. The Pi cannot natively capture/input HDMI.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)