Connecting laptop to 144 hz monitor(Acer GN246HL)

bedcuzmed

so this might seem dumb, but I tried connecting my new Dell Inspiron 7567 to a 144hz monitor(with HDMI 2.0 cable), but it would not work. I checked everywhere in the Nvidia settings to see what was wrong, but all I could see was a mx refresh rate of 75 hertz on low resolutions

You'll need DVI, not HDMI. HDMI will max out at 1.4 for that monitor, and that offers not even 75hz for some resolutions. 

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

You'll need DVI, not HDMI. HDMI will max out at 1.4 for that monitor, and that offers not even 75hz for some resolutions. 

yeah I forgot to mention that I bought

https://www.amazon.com/Importer520-Plated-Female-Dvi-d-Adaptor/dp/B00CCVKQRM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1492830802&sr=8-8&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi-d

after I noticed the hdmi was not working

(still didn't work after the adapter came today)

3 minutes ago, bedcuzmed said:

yeah I forgot to mention that I bought

https://www.amazon.com/Importer520-Plated-Female-Dvi-d-Adaptor/dp/B00CCVKQRM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1492830802&sr=8-8&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi-d

after I noticed the hdmi was not working

(still didn't work after the adapter came today)

Still won't work, the adapter is not ready for that probably. While HDMI 1.4 has more bandwidth than dual-link DVI, 60+Hz is not part of the HDMI spec. You could try using HDMI and making a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel, try to push 144Hz. You may hit 120 if you're lucky

idk

49 minutes ago, bedcuzmed said:

so this might seem dumb, but I tried connecting my new Dell Inspiron 7567 to a 144hz monitor(with HDMI 2.0 cable), but it would not work. I checked everywhere in the Nvidia settings to see what was wrong, but all I could see was a mx refresh rate of 75 hertz on low resolutions

Some monitors do not do 144 Hz over HDMI, and the GN246HL is one of them. If your computer doesn't have a native Dual-Link DVI port, there isn't much you can do.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=120Hz_displays

29 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Still won't work, the adapter is not ready for that probably. While HDMI 1.4 has more bandwidth than dual-link DVI, 60+Hz is not part of the HDMI spec. You could try using HDMI and making a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel, try to push 144Hz. You may hit 120 if you're lucky

It's just a limitation of the monitor, it doesn't have anything to do with the HDMI spec. The alleged "60 Hz limit" of HDMI that people talk about does not exist, in fact some of the standardized formats listed explicitly in the HDMI Specification itself are 120+ Hz.

49 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It's just a limitation of the monitor, it doesn't have anything to do with the HDMI spec. The alleged "60 Hz limit" of HDMI that people talk about does not exist, in fact some of the standardized formats listed explicitly in the HDMI Specification itself are 120+ Hz.

then shouldn't it work with the adaptor from hdmi to dvi-d?

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Refer to the guide I linked; Dual-Link DVI is required, HDMI only supports adapters to Single-Link DVI.

damn so this monitor is effectively useless?