Ethernet Cable Works But Router Connection Says No Internet Connection

aedan929

Hi, I added a new router to my network, and it's configured as an access point so it has the same SSID and password. I set this router up in the middle of the forest for when we have campfires we can have WiFi range by the fire. I am using one of those PoE to 12v adapter so I don't have to run power to the router. I tested the ethernet cable with my test kit and laptop, all tests came out positive. O.o I don't want to do it but I might have to reset my main modem? Do you have to restart the modem when a new router is added!? So the router is an older Netgear one but I dont know it's model number. And here is how the connection goes... Coaxial cable coming from Mediacom>Modem (converts coaxial to ethernet no built in router)>netgear router (acts as the main DHCP server and also a WiFi router)>8 port Gigabit Netgear Prosafe switch>TrendNet PoE switch>and then the AP. I have two total access points including the one I'm trying to fix. So does anybody know whats going on or how to fix this problem? The whole network was setup by me so there is not some sort of weird setting made by Mediacom. Thanks!

Professional Dirtbike/ATV racer and freestyler. Snowmobiling in Upper Michigan keeps me busy in the winter. I also do a lot of networking and server work,  also a huge (not fat) gamer! Specs Below!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sQMvkT

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200

GTX 1070 Founders Edition ASUS

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2

Speed Link LEDOS RED (keeping it German!)

Some BOSE speakers.

VM Audio 1200 Watt Subwoofer Hooked up to Corsair CX750M

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

25 minutes ago, aedan929 said:

I set this router up in the middle of the forest for when we have campfires we can have WiFi range by the fire. 

I know this is sacrilege on a tech forum, but I think you're missing the point of being in the middle of the forest.

Just now, Dingus said:

I know this is sacrilege on a tech forum, but I think you're missing the point of being in the middle of the forest.

LOL! Agree on that one! That cracked me up! :P

Professional Dirtbike/ATV racer and freestyler. Snowmobiling in Upper Michigan keeps me busy in the winter. I also do a lot of networking and server work,  also a huge (not fat) gamer! Specs Below!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

You don't normally have to reset modems/routers if you have auto dhcp it should pick up automatically, set the new router to router, save, apply, then see if it  picks up a connection.

middle of the forrest...heh heh!

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

You don't normally have to reset modems/routers if you have auto dhcp it should pick up automatically, set the new router to router, save, apply, then see if it  picks up a connection.

thanks ill try tomorrow when its bright out and report back.

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

14 hours ago, Leonard said:

Alright I tried that and still no. Heres the weird thing I fully factory restarted it and it seems to work until I changed the IP address of it. And after I changed the IP if I type in it on my PC it says timed out. Im so confused!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

2 hours ago, aedan929 said:

Alright I tried that and still no. Heres the weird thing I fully factory restarted it and it seems to work until I changed the IP address of it. And after I changed the IP if I type in it on my PC it says timed out. Im so confused!

So yo have static IP configuration on the main modem correct? If not then it could be just where you placed it, meaning after the two switches when it would be best to put it after the main modem in the AP mode then place the two switches on the new router.

Before you reset any of your configurations try the above. I assume you know which port is the wan out of your main modem or if you have one at all, i don't know what modem it is so i am just guessing from my setup and others i setup.

Have you checked if the main modem is even recognizing the new router on the network? Can you even get into the main modem's configuration page?

On 4/22/2017 at 2:46 PM, Leonard said:

So yo have static IP configuration on the main modem correct? If not then it could be just where you placed it, meaning after the two switches when it would be best to put it after the main modem in the AP mode then place the two switches on the new router.

Before you reset any of your configurations try the above. I assume you know which port is the wan out of your main modem or if you have one at all, i don't know what modem it is so i am just guessing from my setup and others i setup.

Have you checked if the main modem is even recognizing the new router on the network? Can you even get into the main modem's configuration page?

Sorry for such a late response! The modem I cant really say either since it's kind of permanetly mounted. But I can tell you that it only has one WAN port so I am using the correct one. I am gonna keep experimenting and try what you said but I can't re arrange my setup since the outside router isnt gigabit and I don't want it to screw with the down speed or transfer speed to my NAS. Unless I am not getting something right here thats what you want right!? But ill plug the PoE switch directly to my main router and see what happens. The coaxial modem I cannot get into since because my main router took over it's IP and even after I changed the main modem's IP I still can't do a thing to get in! I probably sound like an idiot sorry if I do!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

Are you able to draw up a diagram of it including IP addresses? Draw IO is an online free tool that'll work.

8 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Are you able to draw up a diagram of it including IP addresses? Draw IO is an online free tool that'll work.

alright i will. and Leonard the router doesnt show up!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

Here is the most accurate diagram I could do! It's a little iffy but it works amazing! The router after the mediacom modem is also the DHCP server

Untitled.jpg

The first mediacom modem doesnt have an IP, the router's ip is 192.168.1.2, all the desktops are DHCP and probably dont matter, second router acting as AP is 192.168.1.254 and the one in the woods is 192.168.1.253. the servers start at 192.168.1.85 and go up to 192.168.1.88

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

43 minutes ago, aedan929 said:

Here is the most accurate diagram I could do! It's a little iffy but it works amazing! The router after the mediacom modem is also the DHCP server

---gone--

The first mediacom modem doesnt have an IP, the router's ip is 192.168.1.2, all the desktops are DHCP and probably dont matter, second router acting as AP is 192.168.1.254 and the one in the woods is 192.168.1.253. the servers start at 192.168.1.85 and go up to 192.168.1.88

Some labels on the router and switches would have been a nice touch and would have scored you full marks in a networking classxD

anyway.... Firstly, the first medaicon modem must have an IP,  the 192.168.1.2 is the default gateway and not the IP, if it is what i suspect it has to be one of those modems that is not configured with a firewall and just gives a WAN (public) ip. You can see what it is by connecting say a laptop directly to it and then running ipconfig/all in an administrator's level command prompt.

Secondly, you do not have to move the existing switches to cause a problem with your NAS or anything else, all you need to do it ass the new router that is not picking up a "live" connection to the first router in the diagram and depending on the distance it is placed from the first router and or, the strength of the new router's antenna you may need to adjust the signal strength in the router's config once the firmware allows for that, say a firmware like ddwrt. Now that new router will have to be configured as router and not AP as i mentioned before because normally when you have two or more routers on a same network it is best to set only one as AP then the others as router or you can also use wireless bridge, some routers even have that adjustment on the back of the router as just a plain old switch to switch from AP(access point) or WB(wireless bridge) 

16 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Some labels on the router and switches would have been a nice touch and would have scored you full marks in a networking classxD

anyway.... Firstly, the first medaicon modem must have an IP,  the 192.168.1.2 is the default gateway and not the IP, if it is what i suspect it has to be one of those modems that is not configured with a firewall and just gives a WAN (public) ip. You can see what it is by connecting say a laptop directly to it and then running ipconfig/all in an administrator's level command prompt.

Secondly, you do not have to move the existing switches to cause a problem with your NAS or anything else, all you need to do it ass the new router that is not picking up a "live" connection to the first router in the diagram and depending on the distance it is placed from the first router and or, the strength of the new router's antenna you may need to adjust the signal strength in the router's config once the firmware allows for that, say a firmware like ddwrt. Now that new router will have to be configured as router and not AP as i mentioned before because normally when you have two or more routers on a same network it is best to set only one as AP then the others as router or you can also use wireless bridge, some routers even have that adjustment on the back of the router as just a plain old switch to switch from AP(access point) or WB(wireless bridge) 

thanks! i realized that once i deleted the .xml file i forgot to label! and i am beginning to think that maybe it's the PoE to 12v adpter I am using is just faulty or something because I did some tests with it and they didnt seem to work. I am still somewhat new to this i focus mainly of computers and server but when I have the time I like to mess around with this stuff! But what do you think when you look at my diagram!? is it a pretty good setup despite the labels!? I am gonna order a new adapter cause why not!? I mean it's practically the same exact setup I've done at other places and they worked fine just a bit better since they aren't experimental like mine! So you can probably see I do know a good amount just not how to label! :P Ill update you guys if I can get this working! And the PoE adapter is actually missing some wires inside the RJ45 adapter part it was one of those cheap $2 ones! 

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

1 hour ago, aedan929 said:

thanks! i realized that once i deleted the .xml file i forgot to label! and i am beginning to think that maybe it's the PoE to 12v adpter I am using is just faulty or something because I did some tests with it and they didnt seem to work. I am still somewhat new to this i focus mainly of computers and server but when I have the time I like to mess around with this stuff! But what do you think when you look at my diagram!? is it a pretty good setup despite the labels!? I am gonna order a new adapter cause why not!? I mean it's practically the same exact setup I've done at other places and they worked fine just a bit better since they aren't experimental like mine! So you can probably see I do know a good amount just not how to label! :P Ill update you guys if I can get this working! And the PoE adapter is actually missing some wires inside the RJ45 adapter part it was one of those cheap $2 ones! 

The diagram is a good one, could use some direction arrows on the last router but it is still good. If it is the PoE adapter then you can just connect the new router to the other switch and see if a connection is made, then you will know for sure. In my experience those adapters rarely go bad unless yo have like severe power surges. 

Anyway, hope you get it working.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

The diagram is a good one, could use some direction arrows on the last router but it is still good. If it is the PoE adapter then you can just connect the new router to the other switch and see if a connection is made, then you will know for sure. In my experience those adapters rarely go bad unless yo have like severe power surges. 

Anyway, hope you get it working.

yeah but considering it was $2!? I don't know! I guess we'll fins out! thanks!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

Must be the router because it still won't show up. I guess it could still be my ethernet cable though that would be weird since i tested it and its fine! Thanks for all the help! BTW I love your profile pic! xD

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional