Screenagers RANT

hardtofindinthefuture

But, in my opinion, it's okay to spend that much time on screens.  It's just like how you spend time in a park or in school, just that you're sitting down.

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

This is just old people who have no idea what video games and smartphones are, spreading BS about them because it's the "unknown" and humans by nature are afraid of that, especially as you grow older. Considering most people in politic today are 50 and up, this is the result. (Average was 57 in the house of congress and 61 in the senate in december 2016 for example)

8 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

"Playing games on my iPad.  Small kids need to learn about PC Gaming, instead of sex and drugs.

This quote should read more like "Children should learn to use PC's, have fun, and not have to worry about sex and drugs." Since that is not the real world (most kids in the US between 14 and 18 say it is easier to find drugs than someone to buy liquor; which is a drug btw). Being uneducated about them is completely ignorant. The parent/teacher just needs to be responsible enough to know when the right time to expose them to that knowledge is, and to what extent.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

41 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

But, in my opinion, it's okay to spend that much time on screens.  It's just like how you spend time in a park or in school, just that you're sitting down.

Huh? Spending time playing video games is just like spending time playing at the park? Or swimming at the beach? Or eating out with friends? Going for a hike, walk, museum, or even playing something like Jenga? Shooting pool with friends? Going bowling? Throwing the baseball/football/ playing basketball; heck, playing Dungeons and Dragons or Magik is more social. Almost 7 hours a day every day is a bit much. It just is. Just like, unless you are a paid athlete, 7 hours a day training is too much. Most people aren't pro gamers, or have a future in it.

It is definitely not more social, and I'm not afraid of tech, went on a 59 hour coffee/game binge when my ex-wife and son went on vacation and I got stuck staying as my old boss got very ill at the last minute. She came back after 5 days, leaving me almost 3 to game like a nut. Kid's do have more time, just don't neglect being around real people.

I saw a "I quit gaming" channel yesterday on YouTube, and thought "Crap, it really gets that bad for some people?" I gues it does. They do get fat. They do isolate. People do make fun of them, which leads to more seclusion (who wants to be picked on for being a fat geek all the time?) Real life interactivity is stunted quite a bit, as social skills just aren't developed. Health really is hurt,as lack of exercise and diet might not affect people health wise much when they are young, but it really must suck to be 21 and told you have high blood pressure and cholesterol.

2 hours ago, v0nn_toaster said:

So, we saw this at my school and it was 100% lies

So, im not going to go into the in-depth because i only remember so much, ill just go into the parts that really pissed me off

For one, How the fuck will playing GTA 5 turn me into a mass murderer isis rapist hitler tron5000

And how will using my phone lower my IQ?? 

These claims are so fucking retarded, i lost braincells watching it

and dumb people actually belive this

This is all false technology is only making our lives easier, these people just dont get it

IF you hate the idea of a computer go live on a fucking island

everything we do now is on computers, and teaching kids that tech will ruin there lives will only make things worse, when they grow up there going to be given a computer and expected to know what to do.

I just dont agree with this at all

Its 100% bullshit 

I just watched an interview with the Phd who made this, and oh goodness, she could apply this to any form of non-active entertainment, she is just blaming video games. Again, it's obviously not as social as family.friends gathering at a cookout with the kids playing with the hose, teens trying to sneak beers, grown ups falling down playing volleyball thinking they are still 30, but it is more social than 3 people in 3 different rooms watching 3 different TV Shows/movies (I used to see that constantly at friends houses. Mom in one room watching idk, Dad in another watching hockey, and the little brother in another watching cartoons), while me and the older brother were playing the old Tecmo Bowl in another (We were playing against each other in person so that was kinda social for us).

I don't like this women's views very much. She knows the average women gamer is 44 and plays over 15 hours per week (Doesn't matter if it is Candy Crush, it's still over 15 hours a week) but fails to mention that. Wonder how that affects the "Home life".

Seriously let's just stop advancing and rub sticks together. These assumptions have zero factual evidence to prove or support the claims. I've grown up playing video games, including GTA. That's all I played. All I did? No. And guess what? I'm on my way to graduation and going to college. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

It's not entirely wrong. Teenagers these days are pretty much glued to their screens to the point I've seen two friends not talking and simply texting each other while they say beside one another. 

Using your phone (or perhaps Google is a better word here) does decrease your IQ. Your brain remembers less, because you've trained to do so. It knows you can simply look it up, so why commit it to memory?

How many young people these days know how to build something with their hands? Hell, how many spend any deal of time outside? Not many.

3 hours ago, ArduinoBen said:

Except for, you know, fresh air, exercise and the like. Plus the strain on your eyes.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

30 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's not entirely wrong. Teenagers these days are pretty much glued to their screens to the point I've seen two friends not talking and simply texting each other while they say beside one another. 

Using your phone (or perhaps Google is a better word here) does decrease your IQ. Your brain remembers less, because you've trained to do so. It knows you can simply look it up, so why commit it to memory?

How many young people these days know how to build something with their hands? Hell, how many spend any deal of time outside? Not many.

Except for, you know, fresh air, exercise and the like. Plus the strain on your eyes.

I was addicted to video games for awhile, but once I realized how much time I didn't spend with my family... That was enough. Now I balance and I've been out growing video games slowly

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I am thinking that always available information from the Internet can probably impact our ability to store and recall information.

4 hours ago, v0nn_toaster said:

-Snip-

It's been quite a while since I saw the Screenagers video, I agree that it was quite stupid.

However two negative sides of technology that I will admit are that it's killing people's social skills and it's killing people's attention spans.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 minutes ago, Ertman said:

I am thinking that always available information from the Internet can probably impact our ability to store and recall information.

Eh I'd like to think working at a grocery store sort of helps with memory. I mean all the PLUs for produce I can remember.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

It's been quite a while since I saw the Screenagers video, I agree that it was quite stupid.

However two negative sides of technology that I will admit are that it's killing people's social skills and it's killing people's attention spans.

I suppose that's a given but I mean for an introvert like myself, it for me at least is an easier and less draining method of expression.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

18 hours ago, pipnina said:

Always makes me laugh and then get angry and sad that people believe stuff like this.

The BBC put out a news section today about "THE AVERAGE AGE FOR HACKERS IS 16!!!!11!!" They show pictures of aptitude updating Ubuntu and throw "DDOS" around...

As if 16 y/os are more of a threat to our internet security than the government smh.

I was breaking into computers or any other networked device when I was 15. Its really not that far of stretch

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

On 4/22/2017 at 0:34 AM, wcreek said:

Eh I'd like to think working at a grocery store sort of helps with memory. I mean all the PLUs for produce I can remember.

True, but I am willing to bet there might be studies that back my thought up. 

I think in general people remember where to look up the information, and they do it well, just no need to really remember it.

1 hour ago, Ertman said:

True, but I am willing to bet there might be studies that back my thought up. 

I think in general people remember where to look up the information, and they do it well, just no need to really remember it.

Huh? No reason to remember it? That's a joke right? I don't think we want a bunch of walking retarded people (I am using the word retarded by definition; a skill, ability, physical or mental capacity that is underdeveloped. Look, I recalled that on my own ;^)  who's main access to basic information is through a google search. Details on certain things may be useless in your normal life, but memory is still pretty important.

On a happy note, I'm of the opinion that video games help with memory, spacial recognition, pattern recognition, high twitch reflexes and deductive reasoning. When applied to other aspects of a balanced life, it can be beneficial to most people.

I'm quite on OP's side of this, the arguments made are pretty ridiculous and fringe in terms of extreme addiction to electronics. The two main arguments are:

1. "Kids are distracted by electronics"

There are much worse things they could be distracted by that already existed.

2. Cyberbullying

Literally better in every way than actual bullying. There is no block button in real life. 

What really kills me about this sort of thing, though, is that these parents/teachers/whoever probably rely on technology just as much as teens do. When adults say this kind of thing, I sometimes find myself thinking that maybe they're just spiting kids for knowing how to use the tech better than they do...

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

3 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

1. "Kids are distracted by electronics"

There are much worse things they could be distracted by that already existed.

2. Cyberbullying

Literally better in every way than actual bullying. There is no block button in real life. 

What really kills me about this sort of thing, though, is that these parents/teachers/whoever probably rely on technology just as much as teens do. When adults say this kind of thing, I sometimes find myself thinking that maybe they're just spiting kids for knowing how to use the tech better than they do...

1. Yep, kids are easily distracted, at any age. As babies it's everything, then neat shiny things, blinking lights, things that spin...pre-teen everything, teen-late teen friends, video games, not just name brand anymore, but the top end of the name brand... this pretty much goes on to some extent throughout life in general.

2. Cyberbullying

This is ludicrous to me. I know Einstein's theory of relativity can be applied psychologically as well; ei. people get PTSD in some places from being mugged, while others brought up in a different environment are fine hearing gunshots on a daily basis, so a broken nose, a few cracked ribs, and having your kidneys stomped so hard you piss your pants and urinate blood for a week is no big deal. I think this "safe space" cyber bullying is nonsense and encourages people to less assertive, on both ends. "Safe space, back off, I may be emotionally scarred", so they never learn to deal with conflict. Now the other person has to shut up, which as a kid is good, let's face being a bully irl or over a device is still being an ass, but how likely are they to actually stand up to things that are legitimately unfair when related to laws and politics? Not very. The ones with the safe spaces tend to though, and are protected, which is why year by year people take the US less and less seriously, and why we are the least educated 1rst world country in the world. It's sad really.

I grew up less than welfare poor in a rich town. Then stayed kinda poor through middle school, was about 5'4" and 225lbs my freshman year of high school. The face to face verbal abuse, daily fights so I wouldn't have my head flushed in a toilet by 5 or 6 kids, so yeah, someone picking on someone via text doesn't seem like a big deal to me. (Luckily I did grow 7" that summer and dropped 55lbs over that summer vacation and I was magically cool, even though I played video games on a computer and DnD in real life.

Kids flipping out over cyber-bullying is a combination of 3 things. The assholes doing it, parenting, and an underlying psychological disorder that is not being dealt with correctly. I'll take posts about me any day over a dirty beating and being made fun of and laughed at by 25 people to my face, knowing the next day was going to be more of the same.

9 hours ago, crzyces said:

I'll take posts about me any day over a dirty beating and being made fun of and laughed at by 25 people to my face, knowing the next day was going to be more of the same.

What's weird is that coming from a more "privileged" life in which bullying hasn't really been an issue for me, I feel the exact same way. And it's super weird that other people like me get all up in arms about this sort of thing. Guess I have my parents to thank for raising me as a rational human.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

I don't think that kids under 12 should be allowed on a computer device, it's just harmful for them. I also believe that smartphones should not be allowed in school, for peoples own good. It was sad to see my peers distracting themselves while I was the only one in the class paying attention.