Using 2 computers with the same OS

Hello, 

(Sorry if this is the wrong category but it seams to be the most appropriate place)

So I am planning on getting a job soon and as part of this I'm going to be spending my first couple months upgrading my technology. I will be purchasing a Razer Blade, HTC Vive, possibly a Dell XPS 13 2 in 1, and some other not so important tech. There is just one problem with what I want, I hate having more than one place that my files are and having 2 computer will not only do that but all be organized differently. So I was thinking of a solution and I came up with what if i had the 2 computers wiped with no operating system and had some sort of external storage solution (I'm considering the Akitio Thunder3 PCi-E SSD 1.2TB) and had the OS or an image of it stored on the drive and which every computer I wanted to use that day or at that time, i just boot up the computer off of the system image or something like that. Then when I wanted to switch computer I only had to renew the external drive image and boot on to the other computer.

The point of this post is to ask for advice on how you guys think I could do this. I would really like feed back on this, but there are some things I am not doing or considering;

1, I am going to do something like this. I will not run 2 computers with 2 different installs of windows.

2, Money isn't really an option if there is a software or a piece of hardware I need to make it work.

As a reminder, the goal of the project is to have 2 computers that share an operating system, and can be taken anywhere without needing a connection or external drive connected all the time. 

I don't understand why you NEED to use 2 computers. Why not use 2 different screens? For example, I have a screen with mouse/keyboard on my desk. I've also got a screen near the end of my bed. (with only a mouse) Hooked up to the same computer. You've got acces to all them files + you save alot of money on the second pc. If you need extension cables... Well, I bet those cables are way cheaper then getting a second pc.

Yeah... good luck...

The easiest option is to build a main host, and use all your other laptops to remote in to your host. You'll encounter latency and need an internet connection, but TONS cheaper than any viable solutions to what you request... if what you are requesting is even possible. I'd be curious to see the solution.

Not sure about nvme drives but I'm pretty sure you can do this with any sata ssd/hdd. Nvme would require some kind of m.2 expansion do dad but no idea if one exists. 

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Yeah... good luck...

The easiest option is to build a main host, and use all your other laptops to remote in to your host. You'll encounter latency and need an internet connection, but TONS cheaper than any viable solutions to what you request... if what you are requesting is even possible. I'd be curious to see the solution.

So it's impossible to boot from external ssd via USB/thunderbolt? 

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

inWin 303 case

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

I am sure there is some way to do this but surely if the hardware is different in the two machines, everytime you switch it is going to mess stuff up. Schools and other institutions do stuff like what you are suggesting but it involves the use of a server and much technical shizzle nizzle. I would just set up a cloud storage solution and sync your files automatically and then just install the apps you need on both machines.

Also, why in the hell are you purchasing a a Razer Blade and a Dell XPS 13 2 in 1, just get a single Laptop that suits all of your needs?

4 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

I don't understand why you NEED to use 2 computers. Why not use 2 different screens? For example, I have a screen with mouse/keyboard on my desk. I've also got a screen near the end of my bed. (with only a mouse) Hooked up to the same computer. You've got acces to all them files + you save alot of money on the second pc. If you need extension cables... Well, I bet those cables are way cheaper then getting a second pc.

I want the 2 computer because it would improve battery life when I'm out not gaming and just doing casual work. And the Dell XPS 2 in 1 is much lighter and better for content consumption on the go.

Another option would be to relocate the user directories to an network location. (if this is possible) Your main computer should be on while you want to acces the stuff in your user profile. Another option would be a NAS, or dedicated file server. But I do wonder how fast it would be. (but then again, how much speed would you need for stuff on your desktop)

Just now, Tom Cunningham said:

I want the 2 computer because it would improve battery life when I'm out not gaming and just doing casual work

Get only one device, spend money saved on extra batteries.

3 minutes ago, ItsQuantum said:

Also, why in the hell are you purchasing a a Razer Blade and a Dell XPS 13 2 in 1, just get a single Laptop that suits all of your needs?

Razer blade for gaming and VR. Then the Dell XPS 2 in 1 for on the go web browsing and content consumption. Basically just the best combination of each computers best features.   

Razer blade for gaming and VR. Then the Dell XPS 2 in 1 for on the go web browsing and content consumption. Basically just the best combination of each computers best features.   

Do you have a Desktop? If not, may be a better investment than a gaming laptop, unless you travel alot or have some reason to be doing alot of gaming on the move.

I don't see the problem. I switch between hardrives on my computers fairly often with the only issues being drivers everytime I swap. That is hardware though not via USB/thunderbolt. I'd double check its possible to "boot" via sata over USB and if you can the there's really no reason it shouldn't work right? Apart from driver problems switching between the two.

the other problem is if either of the computers require some kind of OEM boot partition that could be a issue Eg. My desktop install on my ssd won't boot on my Asus laptop and vice versus but the desktop OS will work on my other deaktop

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

inWin 303 case

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

1 minute ago, ItsQuantum said:

Do you have a Desktop? If not, may be a better investment than a gaming laptop, unless you travel alot or have some reason to be doing alot of gaming on the move.

I don't have a desktop but I also don't really want one. I am more of a laptop guy and will be moving around to several locations with the laptop and VR. So a Desktop isn't really in my best interest.

7 minutes ago, Tom Cunningham said:

I don't have a desktop but I also don't really want one. I am more of a laptop guy and will be moving around to several locations with the laptop and VR. So a Desktop isn't really in my best interest.

get a high high capacity USB or SD card (256GB or 512GB) install windows on the USB/SD. Always boot to USB/SD.

I know that counts as an external drive, but it's the most cost efficient for the task.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

2 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

get a high high capacity USB or SD card (256GB or 512GB) install windows on the USB/SD. Always boot to USB/SD.

I know that counts as an external drive, but it's the most cost efficient for the task.

You sir are a genius. I may do this myself :) 

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

inWin 303 case

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Just now, RS2007GOD said:

You sir are a genious. I may do this myself :) 

i've done it before with a 128GB usb on my key chain. 

i like to tell people that this is my computer, because i define personage as a set of experiences, not a physical body.

additionally, i can jack into anyone's hardware and say "your shit is mine now"

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Keep in mind, Windows is activated to your hardware. Transfering between machines isn't possible except with Windows2Go.

You're better off using a Linux like Ubuntu at that point. Should just be plug and play. Install to an external drive and you can boot that drive off either computer.

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Keep in mind, Windows is activated to your hardware. Transfering between machines isn't possible except with Windows2Go.

You're better off using a Linux like Ubuntu at that point. Should just be plug and play. Install to an external drive and you can boot that drive off either computer.

Actually no, you can have windows activated to your Microsoft account which would get around the activation problem.

11 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

Yes, well that was there the Akitio Thunder3 came in, because it would be fast and work with both devices. as well as i could use it to sync files across the computers.

But here's another question is it possible to boot off of an external drive then migrate the operating system to the local machine to run normally.

Actually no, you can have windows activated to your Microsoft account which would get around the activation problem.

Windows being Activated to your Microsoft account doesn't let you use it on multiple machines. It just makes it easier to transfer it from machine to machine. The Microsoft activation servers will see two machines being actively used with the license and lock it...

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

Windows being Activated to your Microsoft account doesn't let you use it on multiple machines. It just makes it easier to transfer it from machine to machine. The Microsoft activation servers will see two machines being actively used with the license and lock it...

i've never had a problem. 

15 minutes ago, Tom Cunningham said:

But here's another question is it possible to boot off of an external drive then migrate the operating system to the local machine to run normally.

In theory yes you can but if the boot loader/partition or what ever its called is different for the external device is may not be able to boot from the internal device without some witchcraft and wizardry..

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

inWin 303 case

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

19 minutes ago, Tom Cunningham said:

yes. there is a bootdisk called clonezilla that will clone all types of drives as long as the destination drive is the same size or larger than the primary drive. 

you'd have to plug in the OS usb, then the clonezilla usb, then boot to the clonezilla and copy it to the harddrive. 

9 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

yes. there is a bootdisk called clonezilla that will clone all types of drives as long as the destination drive is the same size or larger than the primary drive. 

What do you mean by the destination drive has to be equal or bigger than the primary original? Does that mean if the boot os drive is 1.2TB, then i cant boot off of it and load it on a drive that is 512gb?