Call for Coders 2017

I'm also trying to build a video platform myself, but it seems like you guys are way further along and already have a good team.

I currently don't have the coding skills you guys are looking for, so I couldn't help out if I wanted to.

I was hoping if I could get things going that creators like LMG could jump on board.

If anyone is interested:

fanworks.ca

Is there any chance of having another remote team member, say in the UK?

I have most of the required skills but wouldn't be able to relocate

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

Submit your application: https://goo.gl/forms/7DkgeTvCRxKbTnPM2

We're building something awesome, and you could be a part of it. Let's take over the galaxy together.

2 things:

1: are foreign internships allowed ?

2: currently I'm talking with a canadian company for a foreign intership. They work with apex (Oracle databases) is this something possibly related to this project ?

This seems like the sort of project that should be open source

Looks like a fun project.

I fit all the requirements except for trans-coding and only mild experience with web sockets.

I've worked on distributed/global projects before, but I'm not really interested in moving to Canada. I am open to being persuaded though.

I'm currently in Oregon, US so it's at least the same timezone :)

I would like to know if you also would like volunteering-help from Germany or if you only accept applications from Canada?

I'm a software dev and founding member of 2 separate startups.  I'm gonna put my $0.02 Canadian Rubles in here and say that this is something that probably shouldn't be 100% in Node.  I know it simplifies things to have JS across the board, but hear me out.

Node will give you nothing but headaches when it comes to any real heavy lifting.

Video encoding?  Forget about it. 

Performance with huge amounts of concurrent users?  Only if you're willing to pay $$$ to Amazon for your d2.8xlarge instances

This is coming from someone who loves Node and JS in general.  I think this is something that will exist to only be re-written when any volume of users climb on.

I can hear it now. "Hey, asshole!  This is about iterating quickly, not optimization!".  I get that, and I know that quick iteration is crucial, but I'm going to propose what I think is a way better solution.

You really should hire people to make an API in an appropriate language/framework. Choose Go, choose Django or Flask, hell, even choose Rails.  Don't choose JS.

Decoupling your API logic from your views allows for great flexibility in terms of tech used.  Node can be your presenter, while Go is running the business logic since that's what these languages excel at.  Then, when you want a desktop app, your Node project can be incorporated into Electron and still be served by that API.

Same with phone apps.  Use React Native as a presenter, use a stable API as your workhorse.

If you still need quick iteration, don't use Go and use Rails 5 API mode instead.  This way, you can start very quickly (much quicker than Node), then swap out services for an equivalent service in a better language when concurrency becomes an issue.  Websockets exist in pretty much every language/framework, so those are a non-issue.

Again, I'm a JS dev who also loves Rails and Go.  I think that Node is a very appealing choice for a lot of websites, but not one that requires real computational work to be done. 

If you guys need a backup server of some sort in Northern Europe, just give me a message and I'll see what I can do. Thing is, that I'm currently based here in Finland and my studies are still in progress, so moving to Canada isn't really a option for me right now. 

-N

We're building something awesome, and you could be a part of it. Let's take over the galaxy together.

I would like to know? What platform are you using? Wordpress? Let me know and I'll apply.

Just now, 10haydenb said:

I would like to know? What platform are you using? Wordpress? Let me know and I'll apply.

Based on the video and the fact they're using node, probably a custom one.

5 minutes ago, keglin said:

You really should hire people to make an API in an appropriate language/framework. Choose Go, choose Django or Flask, hell, even choose Rails.  Don't choose JS.

Decoupling your API logic from your views allows for great flexibility in terms of tech used.  Node can be your presenter, while Go is running the business logic since that's what these languages excel at.  Then, when you want a desktop app, your Node project can be incorporated into Electron and still be served by that API.

I totally agree.

JAMstack! https://jamstack.org/

1 minute ago, semaphorism said:

Based on the video and the fact they're using node, probably a custom one.

Oh god, I hope not.  Plus, they'd ask for PHP devs if that were the case.

Wordpress is literally the last thing I'd use for something like this.  One would be better off using butterflies

Just now, keglin said:

Oh god, I hope not.  Plus, they'd ask for PHP devs if that were the case.

Wordpress is literally the last thing I'd use for something like this.  One would be better off using butterflies

You can make website platforms/CMS's in nodejs though, I personally do it now, I'd say it's probably a custom one in nodejs, just my guess.

1 minute ago, semaphorism said:

You can make website platforms/CMS's in nodejs though, I personally do it now, I'd say it's probably a custom one in nodejs, just my guess.

My bad!  I misunderstood :)

11 minutes ago, keglin said:

I'm a software dev and founding member of 2 separate startups.  I'm gonna put my $0.02 Canadian Rubles in here and say that this is something that probably shouldn't be 100% in Node.  I know it simplifies things to have JS across the board, but hear me out.

Node will give you nothing but headaches when it comes to any real heavy lifting.

Video encoding?  Forget about it. 

Performance with huge amounts of concurrent users?  Only if you're willing to pay $$$ to Amazon for your d2.8xlarge instances

This is coming from someone who loves Node and JS in general.  I think this is something that will exist to only be re-written when any volume of users climb on.

I can hear it now. "Hey, asshole!  This is about iterating quickly, not optimization!".  I get that, and I know that quick iteration is crucial, but I'm going to propose what I think is a way better solution.

Same with phone apps.  Use React Native as a presenter, use a stable API as your workhorse.

If you still need quick iteration, don't use Go and use Rails 5 API mode instead.  This way, you can start very quickly (much quicker than Node), then swap out services for an equivalent service in a better language when concurrency becomes an issue.  Websockets exist in pretty much every language/framework, so those are a non-issue.

Again, I'm a JS dev who also loves Rails and Go.  I think that Node is a very appealing choice for a lot of websites, but not one that requires real computational work to be done. 

You could do a lot worse than NodeJS though. If you did do a React frontend connecting to an API using Node has a lot of advantages, especially if you wanted to do React server side, which for this type of application would be very helpful. As long as you have ffMPEG you're probably fine. Yes you might run into some issues with Node being single threaded, but you can offload a lot of the heavy lifting outside of node for the video encoding anyways.

9 minutes ago, maynardewm said:

You could do a lot worse than NodeJS though. If you did do a React frontend connecting to an API using Node has a lot of advantages, especially if you wanted to do React server side. As long as you have ffMPEG you're probably fine.

Personally, I could never advocate for making an API that you know might be huge in JS.

Even though I love JS and Rails, nothing mission critical should ever take place in a dynamically-typed language.  I know they're the hotness, but that doesn't mean they're safe.  That's why I advocated for Go above all else.

It's known that Node has scaling issues.  Why not address that from day 1?

JS is a mess, anyway.  There are so many inconsistencies in the language, it's ridiculous.  Not to mention that it's slow.

Really the only thing JS has going for it is that your frontend and backend can be in the same language.  This is handy for small teams, but not worth it for anything serious.

Edit:  This is why JS should never be in anything mission-critical https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

Is it possible to try the challenge without compete for the job? 

I would like to test my skills about Websockets, but I'm still in apprenticeship.

Any chance to make the "timed coding challenge" public?

Applied :)

have the needed skills but live in the netherlands (close to belgium lol)

Edited by Mats Moolhuizen

I'm finding this all very interesting as a concept with extremely high potential but it leads me to think of one of the large problems with the current platform (YouTube) is the combination of how large it is and copyright law.  If Floatplane is able to get off the ground I feel that it is going to take off at some speed with many larger users using it as a backup and eventually when YouTube sinks, which is shockingly likely, they will switch over.  With this switch will come the companies demanding content owned by them be taken down.  When this first happened with YouTube neither side of the claim knew the exact laws but today companies know exactly what they can and cannot claim.  I am not saying that this legal issue will come to Floatplane but if it does a large number of staff are going to be needed to moderate claims.     

I'm currently working as a DevOps engineer with the right experience (though my JS and Node does need work). I'm not available to move as i have just relocated for my current job, but i am quite happy to consult for free whenever. My skills and experience are visible on Linkedin and i can send you the link if you want.

17 minutes ago, keglin said:

Personally, I could never advocate for making an API that you know might be huge in JS.

Even though I love JS and Rails, nothing mission critical should ever take place in a dynamically-typed language.  I know they're the hotness, but that doesn't mean they're safe.  That's why I advocated for Go above all else.

It's known that Node has scaling issues.  Why not address that from day 1?

JS is a mess, anyway.  There are so many inconsistencies in the language, it's ridiculous.  Not to mention that it's slow.

Really the only thing JS has going for it is that your frontend and backend can be in the same language.  This is handy for small teams, but not worth it for anything serious.

Why is JS a mess? That just sounds like a personal preference. I've been programming for 15 years. I write in JS, Swift, Obj-C, Java, Rails, PHP, Python... Hell I've even done C and 68000 Assembly. JS is still my favorite. I love a lot of things about it. Swift is my least favorite... 

How is JS slow? Yes it will never be as fast as Java or something , but the V8 engine is amazing, and well proven.

It's not day 1 for them, I doubt they are going to go back on NodeJS at this point. Most "mission ciritical" apps are built with many different technologies and languages, but there's no problem going with NodeJS for right now, and refactoring later when things begin to scale.

Haven't really been up to date with the forum, so is there a preview of the platform? In the video it was mentioned that it is pre alpha or something... Is there a resource with more information on the goals, ideas and high level implementation detail on the project? Thanks.