Can I run a 970 with a cheap quadro for more monitors?

Acorn Eyes

I'm thinking of getting more dumpster monitors to get a total of 6 monitors. 

My 970 is almost full, I only have the display port slot open. 

I also have a Quadro something worth $40, its got 2 ports so I could run 6 monitors in theory. 

If I'm not SLI'ing them could I do it?

Don't talk about stale memes.

You can get a splitter for Displayport that gives you 3 outputs from one. They're not to expensive, I have seen them alot cheaper than this: https://www.amazon.com/Accell-K088B-008B-UltraAV-DisplayPort-Multi-Display/dp/B00VINZFGC

Don't think you can run a 970 and a Quadro at the same time.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

15 minutes ago, Acorn Eyes said:

I'm thinking of getting more dumpster monitors to get a total of 6 monitors. 

My 970 is almost full, I only have the display port slot open. 

I also have a Quadro something worth $40, its got 2 ports so I could run 6 monitors in theory. 

If I'm not SLI'ing them could I do it?

you could "enable all monitors" but you can't surround them.

so in theory yes, but if you want a 3 display setup for gaming, no.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

You should be able to use all the monitors.  You may not be able to distribute it as a video wall, and you may need to do some major tweeking, but it's quite possible.  Display Link adapters have been doing this for a while.  You can add several monitors using Display Link adapters.  Problem is that it starts taxing the CPU and memory.  The advantage of the video cards is to mitigate that function.  Having different video cards will allow you to add more monitors, but they won't be able to talk to each other if you're trying to do a singular video graphics task, like bridging would do.  They would work independently.  

There's always the chance that your setup will not allow for this to work properly, and that it may cause other issues.

50 minutes ago, Doramius said:

You should be able to use all the monitors.  You may not be able to distribute it as a video wall, and you may need to do some major tweeking, but it's quite possible.  Display Link adapters have been doing this for a while.  You can add several monitors using Display Link adapters.  Problem is that it starts taxing the CPU and memory.  The advantage of the video cards is to mitigate that function.  Having different video cards will allow you to add more monitors, but they won't be able to talk to each other if you're trying to do a singular video graphics task, like bridging would do.  They would work independently.  

There's always the chance that your setup will not allow for this to work properly, and that it may cause other issues.

So it should be fine if I'm only planning on playing on one monitor, the rest I'm planning only as screen space.

I've used my 1070 for my 4k monitor and an old 650ti for a 1080p - just to see if it would work. It worked for me 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

On 4/21/2017 at 2:36 PM, Glenwing said:

Yes, you can run multiple different graphics cards for additional monitors.

Would it be more efficient to use the weaker quadro for 2 workspace monitors and the 970 for the monitor I game on? Or does running 3 monitors on a single GPU not have significant impacts?

8 minutes ago, Acorn Eyes said:

Would it be more efficient to use the weaker quadro for 2 workspace monitors and the 970 for the monitor I game on? Or does running 3 monitors on a single GPU not have significant impacts?

It doesn't really have any impact, it would be better to just run all off the 970.