ASUS PG27AQ only showing 1024x768 on DisplayPort

Go to solution Solved by toeknee2u,
On 4/21/2017 at 4:26 PM, adrian.r said:

I cant say, I have ever posted my own topic to a forum before. So I hope I am putting this post in the right place. 

I recently purchased a ROG Strix GL702VM Gaming Laptop in the 7700HQ series with the 1060GTX with 6GB of GDDR5. 

I upgraded the M.2 SSD to a Samsung PRO 960 M.2 NVMe 512GB and installed 32GB of HyperX Ram to give it more juice to work with.

While I was upgrading these things I thought why not get a new monitor while I'm at it.

I now have a shiny new ASUS PG27AQ UHD 4K IPS monitor. (Thanks to the video review Linus did on it)

I wanted to utilise the Mini-DisplayPort on the laptop to drive the 4K monitor as it (and the Thunderbolt 3 port I think) is the only way to enable the G-Sync on the monitor.

However when I connect the Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort 2m cable in, the only options I get for resolution are 1024x768 or 800x600 (Note: the cable was aftermarket and only $8 so it wouldn't surprise me if that is the issue but I want to make sure its nothing else before investing in yet another cable).

I can get the monitor to work properly with a HDMI with resolution 1920x1080 at 60Hz or 3840x2160 at 24Hz. (And no G-Sync support)

I would much prefer to utilise what I paid the $$$ for in the monitor but I cant seem to work out what the problem is.

I have,

- made sure the drivers are up to date

- checked if it was a setting on the monitor

- looked up to see if anyone else was having this issue with this monitor but all I keep getting are reviews on how good the monitor is rather than anyone having any display issues.

- looked up the specifications on the Mini-DisplayPort on the laptop is capable of and it seems to support it, especially considering the laptop explains to you that G-Sync will only work via that port (and or Thunderbolt 3, again I think)

- looked up on the GTX 1060 6GB to see if it is capable of driving such a monitor. The Nvidia website seems to only list up to the Titan X to support 4K but I do believe that list is out of date considering there is no way a GTX 1080 wouldn't support 4K, and as I mentioned earlier it will push the resolution via HDMI just at a terrible refresh rate. (And no G-Sync)

- I also got my old portable optical drive out to spin up the CD the monitor came with, just in case there was some specific driver I needed to install on the computer but all it had on it was the Manual (which was zero help with this issue) and a outdated Nvidia Driver.

- As a last ditch attempt to work it out, I factory reset the laptop as I didn't have much on it yet anyway and that still didn't fix the issue.

I only have a few ideas on what it could be but I just don't know enough to make a proper decision.

Coud it be,

- the $8 cable is just terrible and I should get a better one? 

- the cable too long? It's 2m

- 'Active DisplayPort Cable' issue? I remember way back when I used DisplayPort last time I had issues with this, could this be a similar issue?

- I should be using a Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort cable instead

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I don't want $1350 worth of monitor to be wasted on HDMI 1980x1080 60Hz with no G-Sync.

Hi Adrian ... Did you ever find as solution to this?I have the same ROG laptop, with pretty much the same additional spec, and was looking at the ultra wide options.  Don't fancy spending big bucks if it doesn't work tho

I cant say, I have ever posted my own topic to a forum before. So I hope I am putting this post in the right place. 

I recently purchased a ROG Strix GL702VM Gaming Laptop in the 7700HQ series with the 1060GTX with 6GB of GDDR5. 

I upgraded the M.2 SSD to a Samsung PRO 960 M.2 NVMe 512GB and installed 32GB of HyperX Ram to give it more juice to work with.

While I was upgrading these things I thought why not get a new monitor while I'm at it.

I now have a shiny new ASUS PG27AQ UHD 4K IPS monitor. (Thanks to the video review Linus did on it)

I wanted to utilise the Mini-DisplayPort on the laptop to drive the 4K monitor as it (and the Thunderbolt 3 port I think) is the only way to enable the G-Sync on the monitor.

However when I connect the Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort 2m cable in, the only options I get for resolution are 1024x768 or 800x600 (Note: the cable was aftermarket and only $8 so it wouldn't surprise me if that is the issue but I want to make sure its nothing else before investing in yet another cable).

I can get the monitor to work properly with a HDMI with resolution 1920x1080 at 60Hz or 3840x2160 at 24Hz. (And no G-Sync support)

I would much prefer to utilise what I paid the $$$ for in the monitor but I cant seem to work out what the problem is.

I have,

- looked up to see if anyone else was having this issue with this monitor but all I keep getting are reviews on how good the monitor is rather than anyone having any display issues.

- looked up the specifications on the Mini-DisplayPort on the laptop is capable of and it seems to support it, especially considering the laptop explains to you that G-Sync will only work via that port (and or Thunderbolt 3, again I think)

- looked up on the GTX 1060 6GB to see if it is capable of driving such a monitor. The Nvidia website seems to only list up to the Titan X to support 4K but I do believe that list is out of date considering there is no way a GTX 1080 wouldn't support 4K, and as I mentioned earlier it will push the resolution via HDMI just at a terrible refresh rate. (And no G-Sync)

- I also got my old portable optical drive out to spin up the CD the monitor came with, just in case there was some specific driver I needed to install on the computer but all it had on it was the Manual (which was zero help with this issue) and a outdated Nvidia Driver.

- As a last ditch attempt to work it out, I factory reset the laptop as I didn't have much on it yet anyway and that still didn't fix the issue.

I only have a few ideas on what it could be but I just don't know enough to make a proper decision.

Coud it be,

- 'Active DisplayPort Cable' issue? I remember way back when I used DisplayPort last time I had issues with this, could this be a similar issue?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I don't want $1350 worth of monitor to be wasted on HDMI 1980x1080 60Hz with no G-Sync.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black (2 Systems)
Watercooling by EKWB

System 1: 6 VM's (Streaming & Rendering VM, 2 Gaming VM's, x3 Game Servers and UnRAID)
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (Watercooled)
RAM: Kingston 64GB (8x8GB) 2666Mhz ECC Buffered DDR4 (Watercooled)
MOB: Gigabyte X399 AORUS XTREME Motherboard
GPU: x2 ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, 8GB (Watercooled), EVGA GT 710 (for UnRAID)
SSD: x3 Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe, 3x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung 860 PRO 256GB SSD
HDD: 6x Western Digital WD Gold 10TB, WD101KRYZ (RAID 6)
PSU: EVGA 1600W SuperNOVA T2 Modular Power Supply (CableMOD Red/Black)

System 2: Main Gaming Machine
CPU: Intel Core i9 7900X (Watercooled)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
MOB: ASRock X299E-ITX/AC
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC, 11GB (Watercooled)
SSD: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB NVMe, Samsung 960 PRO 2TB NVMe, Intel Optane 32GB M.2 (PCIE) SSD, x2 Western Digital WD Green 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
PSU: Corsair HX1000i 1000W Power Supply (CableMOD Blue/Black)

All backed up by 4 UPS units.

2 hours ago, adrian.r said:

I have,

Coud it be,

Try disconnecting the monitor from power for a minute.

Hey Glenwing, thanks for the suggestion. Alas it didnt work.

Watercooling by EKWB

System 1: 6 VM's (Streaming & Rendering VM, 2 Gaming VM's, x3 Game Servers and UnRAID)
GPU: x2 ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, 8GB (Watercooled), EVGA GT 710 (for UnRAID)
SSD: x3 Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe, 3x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung 860 PRO 256GB SSD

SSD: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB NVMe, Samsung 960 PRO 2TB NVMe, Intel Optane 32GB M.2 (PCIE) SSD, x2 Western Digital WD Green 240GB SSD (RAID 0)

• 2 years later...
On 4/21/2017 at 4:26 PM, adrian.r said:

I have,

Coud it be,

Hi Adrian ... Did you ever find as solution to this?I have the same ROG laptop, with pretty much the same additional spec, and was looking at the ultra wide options.  Don't fancy spending big bucks if it doesn't work tho

Turns out you just cant cheap out on Display Cables. 

Watercooling by EKWB