Gamers Dating Gamers

FosterGuy

So here's the thing:  There are sources out there that say some 50% of the gaming community are women.  Where are they?  

I've dated numerous women throughout my 32 years, nearly been married twice.  Every single one of these women immediately thought I was a loser as soon as I started gaming.  

Perhaps I've just always had bad luck in this regard.  Anyways, I think there needs to be a service that puts Gamers together.  My dream is to be with a woman that loves gaming as much as I do.  It would be like a 24/7 LAN party (old school).

Thoughts?  Anyone else share this issue?  Much love!

Well my wife and I have been together for 12 years now and I would definitely call her a gamer, but we've never had that "LAN party" feel ever in our relationship, she's into entirely different games than I am, and the only games we've ever both enjoyed and ESO and Minecraft. However it does sound like you've had some bad luck with finding non-gamers, i would suggest a goth bar as that's where I found my gamer lady, but results may vary, I don't suppose you have any internet or board game cafes around your home town?

Well, the word "gamer" here is kinda ill defined. 

Those surveys showing 48% of "games" to be women usually use "gamers" to refere to anyone who plays any type of video game, which is different from the way we usually refere to "gamers".

When most people refere to "gamers", they usually refere to people playing a certain type of games or a person that fit into a certain archetype.

So, the 15 year old boy who plays 8 hours of League of Legends every day counts as much as a gamer in these surveys, as the 48 year old soccer mom that plays 15 min. of Candy Crush on her break. 

Which definition is correct I can't say, but that's where the confusion stems from, as far as I know anyway.

Also, this is not to say that there aren't any females out there enjoying "real" video games. 

I have also never had that problem with any girl I've ever dated. Usually, we were more than capable of seeing past differences in our prefered medium of entertainment. 

Some of my past girlfriends have also been into playing video games themselves. 

My wife is also into video games, so there's that. While we don't share much in terms of taste in video games, we do share a love for fighting and strategy games. 

Nothing like sitting back on a Friday evening and kicking your significant other's ass in Mortal Kombat. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

19 minutes ago, enigmakahn said:

Well my wife and I have been together for 12 years now and I would definitely call her a gamer, but we've never had that "LAN party" feel ever in our relationship, she's into entirely different games than I am, and the only games we've ever both enjoyed and ESO and Minecraft. However it does sound like you've had some bad luck with finding non-gamers, i would suggest a goth bar as that's where I found my gamer lady, but results may vary, I don't suppose you have any internet or board game cafes around your home town?

I hear ya.  I guess the best aspect I'm looking for is just someone who shares this similar hobby and it's something we can talk about.  In the past I've always 'pretended' to not be a nerd and not be a huge gamer, because I know that would just kill the relationship.  At this point, I'm 32 and tired of pretending to be something I'm not. 

I live in the south, on the coast, sounds great right?  The beach is great, but it might as well be a retirement community consisting of northerners (much like Florida).  The pool is small.  There's not so much as an arcade around here lol.  

Anyways, the dream is real!  Thanks for your 2 cents bud!

12 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Well, the word "gamer" here is kinda ill defined. 

Those surveys showing 48% of "games" to be women usually refere use "gamers" to refere to anyone who plays any type of video game, which is different from the way we usually refere to "gamers".

When most people refere to "gamers", they usually refere to people playing a certain type of games or a person that fit into a certain archetype.

So, the 15 year old boy who plays 8 hours of League of Legends every day counts as much as a gamer in these surveys, as the 48 year old soccer mom that plays 15 min. of Candy Crush on her break. 

Which definition is correct I can't say, but that's where the confusion stems from, as far as I know anyway.

Also, this is not to say that there aren't any females out there enjoying "real" video games. 

I have also never had that problem with any girl I've ever dated. Usually, we were more than capable of seeing past differences in our prefered medium of entertainment. 

Some of my past girlfriends have also been into playing video games themselves. 

My wife is also into video games, so there's that. While we don't share much in terms of taste in video games, we do share a love for fighting and strategy games. 

Nothing like sitting back on a Friday evening and kicking your significant other's ass in Mortal Kombat. 

Yeah that is most likely 100% correct.  People who Candy Crush and people, like me, who love a 4 hour session of Battefield (any of them) are two entirely different things.  I don't care if we like the same games, just that like you said they are at least able to look past differences in entertainment mediums, etc.  

Sounds like you've got a sweet setup there with the wife, bro.  Congrats on that!  Little Smexy time, little Mortal Kombat, life is good, no?  Thanks man!

21 minutes ago, FosterGuy said:

In the past I've always 'pretended' to not be a nerd and not be a huge gamer, because I know that would just kill the relationship.  At this point, I'm 32 and tired of pretending to be something I'm not.

That could very well be the root of your problem.  Not that you're a gamer, but that you were pretending to be someone else.  You can't build a relationship on false pretenses.

Ex girlfriend hated gaming and thought it was for losers. New girlfriend got into gaming after playing on my computer. Building a computer for and with her was awesome. She often admits that if she wasn't dating me she most likely wouldn't game. She does LOVE to play games from her childhood though. Mainly Super Mario World which I am not that big on or Donkey Kong. She is awful at cs:go and 1.6, but loves TF2 and L4D2. Of my serious relationships she is the only one to take a interest in gaming. I'm 31 and this is my 3rd actual relationship. 33% isn't bad I guess!

In saying  that it does feel I hit the holy grail of g/fs .. doesn't complain when I am on the computer and understands when I'd rather stay in to game rather than go out. I am not turning down a date with her or 1 on1 time. Just a group of friends who she feels forced to go out and is jelly when I have zero plans! It helps shes a lil socialite and I am not that social.

24 minutes ago, FosterGuy said:

Sounds like you've got a sweet setup there with the wife, bro.  Congrats on that!  Little Smexy time, little Mortal Kombat, life is good, no?  Thanks man!

It would be sweet if I could actually win sometime. 

But ohh well, I just have to admit my inadequacy in Mortal Kombat. 

Overall life is really good, but I wouldn't say that has to do with our common interst in certain video games. To both of us, video games is "just" an entertainment medium. I don't think either of us would consider it a hobby.  

Frankely, our hobbies are widely different and not really something we share too much. 

I don't share my wife's interst in fashion, Lego and science and she don't share my interst in music. 

But it's all about making it work, I guess. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Sounds fun but to many guys will show up and to few girls :P

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

That could very well be the root of your problem.  Not that you're a gamer, but that you were pretending to be someone else.  You can't build a relationship on false pretenses.

True enough.

1 hour ago, Nena360 said:

Sounds fun but to many guys will show up and to few girls :P

Yeah, this is definitely true.  Google 'gamer dating' or some such thing and look at who is active on those sites, lol.  100 dudes and 1 girl, not good haha.

25 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

dont they make an app for finding gamer girls/boys 

Not that I've seen.  

Aren't they taking in people who play purely mobile games when it comes to finding that 50% number? I'm sure those people wouldn't class themselves as a gamer. Heck, I don't really class myself as a gamer these days, and I would probably fall under the genuine category. It's such a broad label these days that I highly doubt 50% are actually female. Though, I do know a handful of genuine female gamers.  

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Just now, SeriouslyMikey said:

Aren't they taking in people who play purely mobile games when it comes to finding that 50% number? I'm sure those people wouldn't class themselves as a gamer. Heck, I don't really class myself as a gamer these days, and I would probably fall under the genuine category. It's such a broad label these days that I highly doubt 50% are actually female. Though, I do know a handful of genuine female gamers.  

I need a woman that can noscope 360, not crush candy, haha.  Being serious, yeah that's probably a large part of the statistics on BOTH sides, App games.

I guess it all depends on how you would define 'gamer'.

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

1 hour ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

Aren't they taking in people who play purely mobile games when it comes to finding that 50% number? I'm sure those people wouldn't class themselves as a gamer.

It's even worse than that. There was this one study floating around a few years ago which showed that 45% of gamers are women. The problem with that survey is that it included all types of games, and it also included things like a mom trying out a game with her son as the mother being a gamer.

They even included board game players as "gamers".

In fact, according to that study even my ~70 year old grandma is a gamer, because she plays solitaire on her computer.

That number definitely isn't 50% on all the games I play I rarely meet other girls, easy to pick up boys tho. Hehe.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It's even worse than that. There was this one study floating around a few years ago which showed that 45% of gamers are women. The problem with that survey is that it included all types of games, and it also included things like a mom trying out a game with her son as the mother being a gamer.

In fact, according to that study even my ~70 year old grandma is a gamer, because she plays solitaire on her computer.

That would make my late grandmother a gamer because she enjoyed board games and card games. Haha.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Is she single?  haha

Everytime i read those stories i am glad that i prefer to stay without female companionship. Worked for 30 years so far and hopefully will do so.

6 hours ago, FosterGuy said:

So here's the thing:  There are sources out there that say some 50% of the gaming community are women.  Where are they?  

I've dated numerous women throughout my 32 years, nearly been married twice.  Every single one of these women immediately thought I was a loser as soon as I started gaming.  

Perhaps I've just always had bad luck in this regard.  Anyways, I think there needs to be a service that puts Gamers together.  My dream is to be with a woman that loves gaming as much as I do.  It would be like a 24/7 LAN party (old school).

I TOTALLY FUCKING AGREE. SHARE THE LOVE. WHERE ARE THOU GAMER GIRLS.

The geek himself.

14 hours ago, FosterGuy said:

I don't know why guys can't find them.

Then again, I meet guys who don't game at all.

Though, like others stated, that 50% probably inflated by more than just what most here consider "hardcore" games.

I'm a women myself.  I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer, but I do some light gaming at times.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU