What vr headset should i buy

I am looking to buy a vr headset.

i have a pc with i5 7500 and gtx 1060 6gb.

so? oculus rift and touch or htc vive???

also. is it safe to buy second hand? i found a oculus rift + touch + extra censor for 600 euro and a vive for 750.

On the microsoft webstore you can buy oculus rift + touch for $600 and the vive for $800.

so is the extra censor needed?

thanks already

ocolus own by facebook so they gonna track you. 

and i have heard HTC Vive is better. Pick whatever is cheaper

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

HTC Vive if you want full immersion.

Oculus Rift for more casual (like racing sims or something).

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

4 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

does the 360 tracking works good on the oculus if you have an extra censor?

What I know so far is that the Vive is more for games that makes you stand up and move around your room (you need a big space in your house and you need to mount the Vive Lighthouses on the ceiling), while the oculus is more for games that you sit down and play

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

Just now, Ernest_L said:

What I know so far is that the Vive is more for games that makes you to stand up and move around your room (you need a big space in your house and you need to mount the Vive Lighthouses on the ceiling), while the oculus is more for games that you sit down and play

ok tnx

I think the Vive is better if you have a fiarly large space to walk around (doesn't need to be to big for huge immersion tbh, tried it at the mall and the space was pretty small) but if you don't then the Oculus is better.

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

I think the Vive is better if you have a fiarly large space to walk around (doesn't need to be to big for huge immersion tbh, tried it at the mall and the space was pretty small) but if you don't then the Oculus is better.

well i have plenty of space and you all say that the vive is the best i will go for the vive.

do you think it is safe to buy a vive second hand?

Just now, budgetguy said:

well i have plenty of space and you all say that the vive is the best i will go for the vive.

do you think it is safe to buy a vive second hand?

Should be fine, just make sure the headset isn't damaged if its on craigslist and the lens arent scratch or anything. But if its only 50 off then it might be worth it to buy it new (well its 100+ when you consider tax so actually you might be better off used) 

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Should be fine, just make sure the headset isn't damaged if its on craigslist and the lens arent scratch or anything. But if its only 50 off then it might be worth it to buy it new (well its 100+ when you consider tax so actually you might be better off used) 

i don't know about tax tho but yea for $50 i just buy a new one

Just now, budgetguy said:

i don't know about tax tho but yea for $50 i just buy a new one

Oh wait you aren't in US so idk if you guys have as much tax as me. (probably not especially considering the state I live in has one of the highest tax rates)

Just test it out when you can (if you are going to pick it up of course).

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

Just now, LUUD18 said:

Just test it out when you can (if you are going to pick it up of course).

i did try the vive at an event and it was so nice. didn't have the chance to try the oculus out tho

13 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Oh wait you aren't in US so idk if you guys have as much tax as me. (probably not especially considering the state I live in has one of the highest tax rates)

just found out microsoft doesn't sell them where i live.

damm

Well I have an android so if you have one of those you can easily get a google cardboard or (if compatible) buy a gear vr (best option) and use game stream on your 1060 to stream games to it. Its comfortable and affordable!

Good Luck!

-Sam

Having tried both for an extended period I think that the Vive is better because if room scale and the tracking of where the controllers are compared to the headset.

24 minutes ago, thrashwarpclot said:

Well I have an android so if you have one of those you can easily get a google cardboard or (if compatible) buy a gear vr (best option) and use game stream on your 1060 to stream games to it. Its comfortable and affordable!

Good Luck!

-Sam

if i buy a vr headset i want oculus rift + touch or vive to play games. i want to use the touch/vive controler not an xbox one controler.

Definitely the Vive. Lord Gaben will reward you for emptying your wallet :D

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 hours ago, LUUD18 said:

Racing sims are not for 'casual' gamers. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I also own a Vive and would recommend that over a Rift.

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

Having both, I can say the experience with them is very similar and I wont go into a whole breakdown of the pro and cons of each as there are tons of reviews that do it better than me.

I'll just hit on the main topics you mentioned.

First, I'd avoid buying used for a couple of reasons:

1. Warranty.

You will likely be out of luck trying to get warranty service from HTC if something breaks. Oculus may be a bit more forgiving but don't count on that and expect to have to pay for repair or replacement of any used part that fails.

2. Bundled Software.

All the bundled software for both systems is tied to the account that registered it, so you will likely not get any of the free games. This would be a big issue especially with the Rift as the free games are arguably the best games and you would have to re-buy them if you wanted them likely negating any used savings.

That being said, if you find a crazy good deal and can demo the hardware to verify function first it might be worth it.

If you have a large room then Vive is easier to set up and better equipped for large room scale.

Rift can be comparable with a 3-4 sensor setup but you will have to spend more for the extra sensors, extension cables, USB expansion card (If you need more ports for all the sensors) this will make the Rift almost exactly as expensive as the Vive after all the addons.

Vive tracking is better but rift tracking is still very good in this configuration. 

Vive and by extension SteamVR Lighthouse tracking is going to have all the new addons coming out like wireless headset, additional tracking pucks, Deluxe head strap ( default Rift head strap is already very good) so if you think you are going to go all in with VR and want the craziest toys then you want a Vive.

Supporting Oculus's walled garden is a choice you have to make for yourself.

Personally I buy every game I can on Steam and Only have 1 Paid Oculus Home game and the free ones that came with the Rift/Touch

Realistically both provide a very capable experience if you get the extra sensors for the rift and I don't think you'd feel a big performance gap like you might with mobile VR or PSVR VS the Rift/Vive

That being said, If I could only keep one, I would keep the Vive because everything else being fairly equal for this Gen the Vive can do more than the Rift is capable of once the addons release. (Wireless large room scale will be sweet)

13 hours ago, trufret said:

First, I'd avoid buying used for a couple of reasons:

1. Warranty.

You will likely be out of luck trying to get warranty service from HTC if something breaks. Oculus may be a bit more forgiving but don't count on that and expect to have to pay for repair or replacement of any used part that fails.

2. Bundled Software.

All the bundled software for both systems is tied to the account that registered it, so you will likely not get any of the free games. This would be a big issue especially with the Rift as the free games are arguably the best games and you would have to re-buy them if you wanted them likely negating any used savings.

1. I live in belgium so i don't think there is much support at all here but you got a point.

2. I didn't think of that. Is there not a way to transfer the account?

I try to do a bit off the price. I try to get one for 500.

22 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

ocolus own by facebook so they gonna track you. 

and i have heard HTC Vive is better. Pick whatever is cheaper

They both track users for diagnostic purposes. I haven't seen any reports of the Rift tracking for advertising purposes.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 22/04/2017 at 4:59 AM, budgetguy said:

1. I live in belgium so i don't think there is much support at all here but you got a point.

2. I didn't think of that. Is there not a way to transfer the account?

I try to do a bit off the price. I try to get one for 500.

For the Vive, unless they set up steam only for the Vive I doubt they are going to want to give away the rest of their Steam game collection while selling the Vive.

For Oculus, it might make more sense as Oculus home is kinda useless without the headset but I don't think you can change the user name with Oculus home easily so you are probably stuck with whatever they called themselves.

It's probably against the TOS of both as well to transfer accounts but take that as you will.

You'd have to work all that out with the seller before hand.