Experiences with AM4 and Ryzen 1700 so far

24 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

No, I already have this board too mate, it specifies

, so that makes 3 drives total for you to use if you use the pci-e m.2 slot, the SATA m.2 slot and the 2x SATA ports that are left. The only way you could have 5 drives is to not use the SATA m.2 slot and use the NVME m.2 slot with 4x SATA devices taking up the 4x sata ports.

M2_2 and SATA3_4 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#Specification
please read again, it disables sata port 4, for the m.2, so you can use the ultra, the normal pcie m.2 and 3 SATA ports

Oh yeah, I know that's the case with intel too, but it just infuriates me how they go on about overclocking is easy etc etc, but then say it voids the warranty. If the CPUs are kept within safe voltage and you're only using multiplier to OC, that should be perfectly safe for anyone to overclock IMO.. I ahve overclocked a lot of chips, and not killed any at all, mostly because of keeping in safe voltages I believe and not pushing too far... IMO it's not that big of a deal to be 100mhz faster for the sake of it, and having to push the vcore that much more to do it, with my 1700 that difference (on this board at least), is safe at 3800, and in fact I have lowered the vcore quite a bit... and 3900 to be stable on this board requires too much voltage IMO and then I'd need much better cooling, so cost wise it's not a viable option at the moment. If I get better cooling and an x370 board with more power phases and options, I'll see if that changes things.

4 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

M2_2 and SATA3_4 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#Specification
please read again, it disables sata port 4, for the m.2, so you can use the ultra, the normal pcie m.2 and 3 SATA ports

Oh, I do apologise, I misread it as sata 3 AND 4, lol... I'll have to get my eyes checked :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Oh, I do apologise, I misread it as sata 3 AND 4, lol... I'll have to get my eyes checked :D

np, i read it over few times when first looking at the board, so you are all good for 5 drives. 
i been enjoying this little board thou, wish it had more fan headers thou haha

24 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

np, i read it over few times when first looking at the board, so you are all good for 5 drives. 
i been enjoying this little board thou, wish it had more fan headers thou haha

Yeah, it's a shame, but probably more use to use a fan hub anyway.. I have the thermaltake commander one that supports upto 10 PWM fans (you can use 3 pin ones as well I believe), it was only around £15 with delivery, so about £11-ish if you have somewhere where you can buy from a store. So not even the cost of a half decent PWM fan itself, so don't think it's too bad for price.

I'm only actually using 3 fans total anyway, and one of those is 3 pin, so could cope without the fan hub, but I could've used it (and still might) for another project I will start on soon maybe if I have the funds and inclination to do it right, lol.

I'm still undecided whether to seel my 6700K and board, or use them for a portable/HTPC build, was thinking of the node 202 maybe... if I sell it I would be looking at asking around £370 for the mobo and CPU, but I don't think people want to pay that much, even though the board and CPU are only 8 months old. They cost just under £500 new, and still are around that price give or take, so £130 less isn't bad IMO, but with ryzen CPUs being very competetiive right now I don't know if someone would pay that much for a 4 core/8 thread CPU, even if it does OC to 4.7Ghz very nicely.

I'll have to list it and see maybe, then if I get no takers use it myself for something.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

yeah, im using a silverstone hub, sadly it wont allow me to volt control my 3 pins, so ill be moving these fans over to my other rig and getting more purple 4pin fans.

has to be purple, 5 in fans an 1 exhaust 

3 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

yeah, im using a silverstone hub, sadly it wont allow me to volt control my 3 pins, so ill be moving these fans over to my other rig and getting more purple 4pin fans.

has to be purple, 5 in fans an 1 exhaust 

Yeah, there's no way of doing that AFAIK, most fan hubs operate from being connected to a PWM header, so you set the fan curve for ALL fans attached to that hub. The reason I went with the thermaltake is that is uses SATA power plug instead of 4 pin power, I don't like those at all, sometimes the pins are dodgy on those 4 pin power plugs and had numerous times in the past (when I still used them) that I had to fix them as they came loose etc.

I currently have mine set to performance setting for the hub connected fans to go in line with CPU temp, and it keeps mine nice and cool. The CPU fan is on it's own header and has a custom fan curve I set... had to disable AMD cool n quiet though to get the best out of it IMO.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

i disabled CnC so my OC would run higher. 

the hub is good but i just have 3 pin fans.. sadly. all in all the mobo is good, just wish it had more fan headers, but its mATX so there is that

5 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

i disabled CnC so my OC would run higher. 

the hub is good but i just have 3 pin fans.. sadly. all in all the mobo is good, just wish it had more fan headers, but its mATX so there is that

Yeah, although saying that my m-itx ASrock z170 board has 3x 4 pin headers... and this is also why I mistook the m.2 disabling 2 ports as that's what it is like for that board, I just assumed it was similar and misread it

- 6 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 14 and Intel® Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
- 1 x SATA Express 10 Gb/s Connector*
- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)**

*If M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_0, SATA3_1 and the SATA function of SATA_EXP0 will be disabled.
Support to be announced

**Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks

Connector- 1 x Chassis Intrusion Header
- 1 x CPU Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)
- 2 x Chassis Fan Connectors (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)*
- 1 x 24 pin ATX Power Connector
- 1 x 8 pin 12V Power Connector (Hi-Density Power Connector)
- 1 x Front Panel Audio Connector
- 1 x USB 2.0 Header (Supports 2 USB 2.0 ports) (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))
- 1 x USB 3.0 Header (Supports 2 USB 3.0 ports) (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

I tell ya though, the above spec for an itx board is what made me love ASrock, 6 SATA ports, m.2 on back of the board too, so not covered by the GPU or CPU heatsink etc... I only had to move my PSU to access the m.2 port, which wasn't often TBH, but only removing 4 screws and sliding the PSU over was easy enough.

I feel the only thing that lets the AM4 backplate design/mobo down is that there is not a securing clip etc at the back... when I had to replace my TIM it was a big PITA, so feel that a backplate clip of soem kind would make a big difference to being useful. Always room for improvement :D

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 24.4.2017 at 9:23 PM, leletec said:

Is that problem occuring on your Windows VM or directly on Ubuntu?

Something about the mobo I planned to use (Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING 5): I did not find any benchmarks on linux on this board yet, but I wanted to use it due to its double eathernet ports. On the gigabyte site I did not find any drivers for Linux or anything, so I wrote to them. Maybe they will answer at some point in time.

Apparently Gigabyte does not officialy support Linux with its boards...which really is a shame, because the double ethernet would have been great.

2 minutes ago, leletec said:

Apparently Gigabyte does not officialy support Linux with its boards...which really is a shame, because the double ethernet would have been great.

That's a shame, but although I'm not certain of course, as I don't have that board it might still be possible. You could always go with a different board and use a pci-e network card... you can get them for like £8 or so, so not too bad in price at all. May I ask why you want 2 network ports? is it for assigning one of them to a VM?

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

22 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

That's a shame, but although I'm not certain of course, as I don't have that board it might still be possible. You could always go with a different board and use a pci-e network card... you can get them for like £8 or so, so not too bad in price at all. May I ask why you want 2 network ports? is it for assigning one of them to a VM?

Yes eactly, the idea was having a own network port for windows and for linux. I thought that that would improve the performance of my networking and makes the two OSes not bottleneck each other in that way.

1 hour ago, leletec said:

Yes eactly, the idea was having a own network port for windows and for linux. I thought that that would improve the performance of my networking and makes the two OSes not bottleneck each other in that way.

Ahh I see, I have to say that unless you're transferring big files over your network at the same time to both a VM and the host, I wouldn't have thought it would bottleneck much... but I'm not 100% sure obviously, I have always gotten along fine with it using default settings, plus as a bonus if my host OS is using a VPN, which it usually is... then I don't have to do anything on the guest OS as that automatically is also using the VPN through the host. Just makes life a little easier sometimes, lol.

I meant more like, so if you wanted to use VNC etc and then that NIC has an assigned IP address to connect to for the VM. It's probably not a good way of doing it, I am not great at networking stuff, just know a little here and there from my own trial and error attempts and stuff I've picked up along the way.

I have actually just gotten my new network card, so will try that out soon-ish in linux and VMs. It was only £7 or so, and ordered yesterday from Amazon, it's great having Prime membership sometimes :)

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Ahh I see, I have to say that unless you're transferring big files over your network at the same time to both a VM and the host, I wouldn't have thought it would bottleneck much... but I'm not 100% sure obviously, I have always gotten along fine with it using default settings, plus as a bonus if my host OS is using a VPN, which it usually is... then I don't have to do anything on the guest OS as that automatically is also using the VPN through the host. Just makes life a little easier sometimes, lol.

I meant more like, so if you wanted to use VNC etc and then that NIC has an assigned IP address to connect to for the VM. It's probably not a good way of doing it, I am not great at networking stuff, just know a little here and there from my own trial and error attempts and stuff I've picked up along the way.

I have actually just gotten my new network card, so will try that out soon-ish in linux and VMs. It was only £7 or so, and ordered yesterday from Amazon, it's great having Prime membership sometimes :)

Due to Gigabytes bad news and the far more detailed experienced with it, I will probably go for the ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO instead.

(They even have an article in their FAQ about how to porperly setup LAN on OpenSUSE, how nice is that.)

Can any compatibility issues happen with graphics card?
Right now I am not very sure, if I should go with an Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti, also because it would be kinda nice to match my ASUS board with an ASUS grafics card.
Guess I'd like my PC to consist of some "corresponding" parts from the same brand. (That's also why I'd like to stick with be quiet! for my case and fans if my budget allows it.)

1 minute ago, leletec said:

Due to Gigabytes bad news and the far more detailed experienced with it, I will probably go for the ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO instead.

(They even have an article in their FAQ about how to porperly setup LAN on OpenSUSE, how nice is that.)

Can any compatibility issues happen with graphics card?
Right now I am not very sure, if I should go with an Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti, also because it would be kinda nice to match my ASUS board with an ASUS grafics card.
Guess I'd like my PC to consist of some "corresponding" parts from the same brand. (That's also why I'd like to stick with be quiet! for my case and fans if my budget allows it.)

Nice board to choose, don't really get why they would have to have a guide of how to setup LAN with opensuse? unless opensuse usually has a problem with LAN drivers or something? I haven't used opensuse, so can't really comment on that... I have tried a few versions of linux though and not had any problems with the LAN at all, have mostly been using ubuntu and derivatives though as I prefer debian.

What sort of compatability issues to you mean with the GPU? do you mean to do with different brands working or anything? if that's what you mean, no I've never heard of there being any problems with different brands working on another brand mobo... that would be implausable IMO. I haven't tried every brand or even every type of GPU, but I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem at all. The pci-e version is 3.1? and is backwards compatible with previous versions, so if you had a card that used pci 2.0 for example it would still work in the 3.0 slot just fine. But I don't think that'd be a problem seeing as you mentioned the 1080, which is gen 3.1 as well IIRC. There are rumours of gen 4.0 coming out soon, but it wouldn't matter anyway, gen 3.1 has a long way to go yet before GPUs get close to matching the throughput capabilities of 3.1... I think they just about use 8 pci-e lanes to max, so if for example you had other pci-e devices that use up some lanes, the GPU would still work absoloutely fine at 8x instead IIRC.

I personally don't care about the brand loyalty or matching, it's nice to have some colour matching I guess to a degree... but I focus more on performance and cooling etc and if they match that's a bonus :D

What PSU are you going to be using for your build? have a look at the PSU tier guide in my sig... and if you need some help choosing parts, feel free to hit me up in PM or post a parts list here or whatever. will be glad to help.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

Nice board to choose, don't really get why they would have to have a guide of how to setup LAN with opensuse? unless opensuse usually has a problem with LAN drivers or something? I haven't used opensuse, so can't really comment on that... I have tried a few versions of linux though and not had any problems with the LAN at all, have mostly been using ubuntu and derivatives though as I prefer debian.

It really doesn't seem bad, there were probably just like 5 guys for who it didn't work out-of-the-box. Link to the guide: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1030983/

I would probably use Ubuntu though.
It just seems nice to me, that they apparently do care about their linux users out there.

5 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

What sort of compatability issues to you mean with the GPU? do you mean to do with different brands working or anything? if that's what you mean, no I've never heard of there being any problems with different brands working on another brand mobo... that would be implausable IMO. I haven't tried every brand or even every type of GPU, but I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem at all. The pci-e version is 3.1? and is backwards compatible with previous versions, so if you had a card that used pci 2.0 for example it would still work in the 3.0 slot just fine. But I don't think that'd be a problem seeing as you mentioned the 1080, which is gen 3.1 as well IIRC. There are rumours of gen 4.0 coming out soon, but it wouldn't matter anyway, gen 3.1 has a long way to go yet before GPUs get close to matching the throughput capabilities of 3.1... I think they just about use 8 pci-e lanes to max, so if for example you had other pci-e devices that use up some lanes, the GPU would still work absoloutely fine at 8x instead IIRC.

I thought about issues with Linux or something. But I guessed that it would not matter. :)

6 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I personally don't care about the brand loyalty or matching, it's nice to have some colour matching I guess to a degree... but I focus more on performance and cooling etc and if they match that's a bonus :D

On the other hand, you can get better RGB control if you stay in an ecosystem like ASUS AURA.

10 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

What PSU are you going to be using for your build? have a look at the PSU tier guide in my sig... and if you need some help choosing parts, feel free to hit me up in PM or post a parts list here or whatever. will be glad to help.

My decision right now is whether to take the be quiet! POWER ZONE 750W or to go for the be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750W, mainly because of its better efficiency.

My part list right now looks like that, but I am not sure about most of the parts and often change them.
PcPartpicker says, that this cooler would not fit on that socket but the VI HERO also supports AM3 coolers, so it should be fine.
I would be very happy, if you had any tips or advice :)

It really doesn't seem bad, there were probably just like 5 guys for who it didn't work out-of-the-box. Link to the guide: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1030983/

I would probably use Ubuntu though.
It just seems nice to me, that they apparently do care about their linux users out there.

I thought about issues with Linux or something. But I guessed that it would not matter. :)

On the other hand, you can get better RGB control if you stay in an ecosystem like ASUS AURA.

My decision right now is whether to take the be quiet! POWER ZONE 750W or to go for the be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750W, mainly because of its better efficiency.

My part list right now looks like that, but I am not sure about most of the parts and often change them.
PcPartpicker says, that this cooler would not fit on that socket but the VI HERO also supports AM3 coolers, so it should be fine.
I would be very happy, if you had any tips or advice :)

Yes, the fact that they even mention linux suers now is a bonus, I wish more companies would get on board and have better support for their linux users... I mean that although it's sometimes good that they even have drivers for linux, it would still be noce to have a nice GUI and access to settings for hardware that could benefit from it, like the Auru and other RGB software for example.

Don't quote me on it, but I believe that on a lot of hardware now it mentions stuff like drivers for linux from kernel version 4.4.0 or similar.

I found this

For this graphics card the proprietary NVIDIA Linux graphics driver is really the only option. With the current Nouveau open-source driver for Pascal you will only get mode-setting support. The hardware acceleration for Pascal will land with the Linux 4.12 kernel when it officially premieres a few months down the road and requires recently-published firmware images. But even when that code rolls out as stable, there isn't yet any re-clocking support or other features to allow the GTX 1080 Ti to actually perform nicely with this open driver code. For now, only the Kepler generation and older remain in good shape with this unofficial NVIDIA Linux driver.

source: Here

That has a bit more about graphics cards and linux. I still haven't tried it yet on my crappy GPU, but will report back when I get the chance... and would welcome input from others about linux and gaming if they have some experience with it :)

I personally wouldn't go with a bequiet PSU, and instead choose a tier 1 PSU like an EVGA supernova 550w or above and their G2/P2 range. I've only ever had 1 PSU explode on me, and that was a bequiet one that was only 4 years old and had not even come close to being abused or anything. And considering their price, it would be better in the long run with an EVGA PSU or a decent superflower/ I made a change to the CPU cooler and PSU for recommendations... the PSU is a really good buy and gets 7-10 years warranty depending on location and will be more than enough for your build, enough so that a lot of the time the PSU fan will not even be spinning. It looks like some parts are actually cheaper in the UK too, so if that's an option for you then I would do that... for the CPU cooler I much prefer the kraken x62, the cooling on that is supposed to be awesome and very quiet too, plus I like the LED stuff they've done with it, but that is supplementary to the main reasons of cooling and noise. I hope that helps you anyway, I also wouldn't buy that much RAM unless you are doing some serious CAD work or something that would need a lot of RAM, that is a lot of money to pay out if you will be barely using it, of course if you can make use of it then it's worth it.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Yes, the fact that they even mention linux suers now is a bonus, I wish more companies would get on board and have better support for their linux users... I mean that although it's sometimes good that they even have drivers for linux, it would still be noce to have a nice GUI and access to settings for hardware that could benefit from it, like the Auru and other RGB software for example.

Absolutely!

Don't quote me on it, but I believe that on a lot of hardware now it mentions stuff like drivers for linux from kernel version 4.4.0 or similar.

I found this

source: Here

Thank you for that. :)

14 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I've only ever had 1 PSU explode on me, and that was a bequiet one that was only 4 years old and had not even come close to being abused or anything.

Oh wow, that's pretty scary. I am using several bequiet PSUs in my household and I am quite happy with them so far...

15 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I personally wouldn't go with a bequiet PSU, and instead choose a tier 1 PSU like an EVGA supernova 550w or above and their G2/P2 range.

I don't really know a lot about EVGA PSUs and I don't know, how the different models differ but I found that one on pcpartpicker (in my country there are not a lot of them on there to buy).

21 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

kraken x62

not available on pcpartpicker...found it on one of the site it should search...

When I saw that cooler I just was like "really, you needed to put lights on that?"

25 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I also wouldn't buy that much RAM unless you are doing some serious CAD work or something that would need a lot of RAM, that is a lot of money to pay out if you will be barely using it, of course if you can make use of it then it's worth it.

I use to programm a bit, also for Android, and with the 16 GB I currently have I already ran in some problems with emulating and stuff.

29 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

It looks like some parts are actually cheaper in the UK too, so if that's an option for you then I would do that...

It's like 100€ cheaper in the UK but idk if it would be worth it with shipping.

2 hours ago, leletec said:

Absolutely!

Thank you for that. :)

Oh wow, that's pretty scary. I am using several bequiet PSUs in my household and I am quite happy with them so far...

I don't really know a lot about EVGA PSUs and I don't know, how the different models differ but I found that one on pcpartpicker (in my country there are not a lot of them on there to buy).

not available on pcpartpicker...found it on one of the site it should search...

When I saw that cooler I just was like "really, you needed to put lights on that?"

I use to programm a bit, also for Android, and with the 16 GB I currently have I already ran in some problems with emulating and stuff.

It's like 100€ cheaper in the UK but idk if it would be worth it with shipping.

No worries.. I'm not saying all bequiet PSUs are bad... just they have been proven to have less relaible components than with some EVGA PSUs for example, so IMO it would be better to get an EVGA or even another tier 1 PSU if you can find them cheaper, just be aware to check the model numbers properly against the PSU tier list. With the bequiet PSU I had, it was most likely a one-off, but I won't touch them again, especially after that, as it wasn't a cheap PSU at all, only around £10 less than an EVGA, but at the time I thought bequiet were in the same class... boy was I wrong, lol :D If you can't find EVGA PSU where you are, that's what I meant you could maybe buy on Amazon.co.uk - not the entire build, that would be too expensive for taxes I think... so maybe just the parts you can't find in your country (Germany?).

I actually like the kraken lights.. and I'm not a big fan of LEDs inside PCs at all. I have come to like the wraith coolers lights even.. especially as it was included with the CPU and has been pretty good at keeping my PC cool TBH. Are you going to OC your CPU? if not, or only like to 3.7/3.8, then I would try the wraith out first if you go with the 1700 instead of the X model.

Fair enough about needing the RAM, I just didn't know your needs, and would hate to see someone pay out that kind of money if they didn't need to... glad you have a use in mind for it. Check the QVL list though to see what RAM the motherboard supports, and buy something from the list that's within your budget, unless you don't mind the RAM maybe running at lower speeds than advertised... if you're not bothered about the RAM speed, then buy lower speed RAM than that as it will save you quite a bit of money, and then the QVL doesn't really matter that much and you could buy almost ANY ram if you're only wanting 2133/2400 to potentially save some money.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

18 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

No worries.. I'm not saying all bequiet PSUs are bad... just they have been proven to have less relaible components than with some EVGA PSUs for example, so IMO it would be better to get an EVGA or even another tier 1 PSU if you can find them cheaper, just be aware to check the model numbers properly against the PSU tier list. With the bequiet PSU I had, it was most likely a one-off, but I won't touch them again, especially after that, as it wasn't a cheap PSU at all, only around £10 less than an EVGA, but at the time I thought bequiet were in the same class... boy was I wrong, lol :D If you can't find EVGA PSU where you are, that's what I meant you could maybe buy on Amazon.co.uk - not the entire build, that would be too expensive for taxes I think... so maybe just the parts you can't find in your country (Germany?).

I actually like the kraken lights.. and I'm not a big fan of LEDs inside PCs at all. I have come to like the wraith coolers lights even.. especially as it was included with the CPU and has been pretty good at keeping my PC cool TBH. Are you going to OC your CPU? if not, or only like to 3.7/3.8, then I would try the wraith out first if you go with the 1700 instead of the X model.

Fair enough about needing the RAM, I just didn't know your needs, and would hate to see someone pay out that kind of money if they didn't need to... glad you have a use in mind for it. Check the QVL list though to see what RAM the motherboard supports, and buy something from the list that's within your budget, unless you don't mind the RAM maybe running at lower speeds than advertised... if you're not bothered about the RAM speed, then buy lower speed RAM than that as it will save you quite a bit of money, and then the QVL doesn't really matter that much and you could buy almost ANY ram if you're only wanting 2133/2400 to potentially save some money.

Well, bequiet's Dark Power Pro is also in Tier 1 apparently, but I might go for an EVGA one then. I will see how availability looks like in like a month. (bequiet is a German brand, so that should not be a problem.)

Yes, I'd like to overclock my CPU (that's why the 1700X is in my list), to come closer to its bigger brother, the 1800X.

There is not a single 2x16 GB kit on the QVL of that board that is above 2400 MHz :(

For which usecases do you actually need RAM speed? I'd guess for games, that's why I would like to have it fast, given the already premium pricepoint of the build.

Well, bequiet's Dark Power Pro is also in Tier 1 apparently, but I might go for an EVGA one then. I will see how availability looks like in like a month. (bequiet is a German brand, so that should not be a problem.)

Yes, I'd like to overclock my CPU (that's why the 1700X is in my list), to come closer to its bigger brother, the 1800X.

There is not a single 2x16 GB kit on the QVL of that board that is above 2400 MHz :(

For which usecases do you actually need RAM speed? I'd guess for games, that's why I would like to have it fast, given the already premium pricepoint of the build.

No, absoloutely if the bequet PSU is also in tier 1 then go for that one if that's the one you like. To be pretty much guaranteed that you will get decent speeds with the ram you will need to choose from the QVL list or get those "for ryzen" RAM modules... so it's either another mobo/different ram or the "ryzen" RAM. If you're already set on your choice of mobo, just copy the manufacturers model number of the ram and enter it into the retailers search bar where you would most likely buy from. If none of the RAM modules are rated with that mobo above a certain speed, I'd choose a different mobo personally. Maybe between now and when you want to get the parts things will change a bit in regards to which ram modules work and the speeds, so just keep an eye out.

When it come sto the importance of ram speed, that's a much debated topic.. and depends on the tesks you are doing also, some people will see a difference, others will not be able to notice at all between speeds of ram. With Ryzen and at least gaming it had become more noticeable because of the way Ryzen CPUs interact, some people have noticed big improvements especially in gaming between using different ram speeds and timings on this platform. I can't comment either way personally as I haven't got my ram to work at optimal settings yet, but when and if I do get the ram to work at it's best or get different ram even just for testing, I will let you know. There are various videos around though about the differences on youtube, so check them out. I can't of course say whether it's worth spending the extra money on it, that's each persona's choice on what they themselves might get out of it.

53 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

Good to see I'm not the only one who went 6700k > Ryzen

Yeah, I make use of the extra cores/threads so it was a no brainer decision really :D

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

8 hours ago, XCalinX said:

Good to see I'm not the only one who went 6700k > Ryzen

I'm in the process.  Originally I was going to use it for my VMs, plex, dvr etc and decided to beef it up and put all that on the 6700k instead.  First time with two machines I'm not in a hurry and can spend a good month tweaking it.

Only hitting about 64C @ 3.9 now that I'm on water ;)  The 6700k got toasty even on water.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

I took a closer look at the QVL of the Crosshair VI Hero and found some odd things:

1. The only two 32 GB kits at DDR4-3200 (why are there no 2*16GB kits) have the Part No. F4-3200C16Q-32GFX and F4-3200C16Q-32GFXR.
    I looked for them, did'nt find them. Checkt G.Skills website, they do not exist.
  2. In the DDR4-2666 section are a 8*8GB and a 8*16GB listed, but the board does only have 4 DIMM slots
  3. The list is really inconsistent with it's labeling and also contains a typo ("Supports one pair of modules inserted into eithor the gray slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration")

2 hours ago, leletec said:

I took a closer look at the QVL of the Crosshair VI Hero and found some odd things:

1. The only two 32 GB kits at DDR4-3200 (why are there no 2*16GB kits) have the Part No. F4-3200C16Q-32GFX and F4-3200C16Q-32GFXR.
    I looked for them, did'nt find them. Checkt G.Skills website, they do not exist.
  2. In the DDR4-2666 section are a 8*8GB and a 8*16GB listed, but the board does only have 4 DIMM slots
  3. The list is really inconsistent with it's labeling and also contains a typo ("Supports one pair of modules inserted into eithor the gray slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration")

AFAIK all 16GB dimms are dual rank at the moment, but could be wrong... but it's one reason you won't see them much on QVL lists for AM4. Remember these are just what the vendor has tested to be working.

The Part No. F4-3200C16Q-32GFX and F4-3200C16Q-32GFXR. are not in retail yet I think, which is possibly why you can't see them anywhere.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

AFAIK all 16GB dimms are dual rank at the moment, but could be wrong... but it's one reason you won't see them much on QVL lists for AM4. Remember these are just what the vendor has tested to be working.

The Part No. F4-3200C16Q-32GFX and F4-3200C16Q-32GFXR. are not in retail yet I think, which is possibly why you can't see them anywhere.

Well okay then. I will see how it looks like in a couple weeks.
Would be really nice if everyone with Ryzen (OC) experiences describe them in that post. :)