Experiences with AM4 and Ryzen 1700 so far

Thanks guys, some useful info there... and thank you for the encouragement, as long as someone would be getting something out of my ramblings, then that's OK by me :)

13 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Gigabyte released a bios update that allowed me to hit 2666mhz on my ram, but I could no longer hit 4ghz stable at my previous voltage (1.35v - it was amazing temps on my custom loop) so I settled at 3.8ghz @ 1.3v and 2666mhz ram with 15 ,15 ,15, 15, 36 timings.

Today I played more and forced the issue! I got 4ghz at 1.41v with the ram running 2666mhz and 14,14,14,14, 35 timings, and lower timings and It wouldn't post. This got me quite a sweet cinebench score:

I've now dropped the clock back to 3.8ghz for 24/7 at 1.28v - I've said a number of times that I wasn't happy to go 1.4v+ 24/7 without knowing the affects on such a new silicone, also my GPU is on the same loop and I don't want the excess temp from that extra voltage for the sake of + 200mhz to pump up my GPU heat. Hopefully another bios comes where I can have stable 4ghz @ 1.35v

Yeah, I am only using the wraith, and during cinebench tests saw the CPU hit between 75-85 at 3.8Ghz and 1.3vcore... I didn't want to push any further, I will however try to dial back the voltage a bit, I am happy at 3.8 TBH, need to do way more real world testing before I decide for sure. I am still deciding whether to even bother with water cooling ATM too, I have an AM4 mounting kit coming, but as long as the CPU is being cooled adequately I don't mind running on air. I'll decide for sure after a few weeks usage and see if I get any thermal throttling etc.

13 hours ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Go onto some of my new ryzen threads and contact a guy names tom_something 

he is the guy to talk to 

helped me get to 4ghz and 2933 on ram stable and showed me how to pstate oc so that the cores scale down when. It being used

Do keep postin results I am very interested in your finding and if u have any questions please ask away 

I feel there needs to be an official ryzen thread 

Yeah, I saw that thread, thanks for putting the info here anyway, hopefully someone will get some use out of it... I did see a couple of things during the thread that interested me too, mostly in the common settings. I'm not that bothered particularly about saving energy as such, the load is still small, so even if it says that it's operating at 1.55/3.8 doesn't really matter much if there's 0% usage... I will do some testing on that though to make sure if I can and see some power draw figures.

Yes, I would love an official Ryzen thread.... I don't care who starts it etc as it makes no difference, would just like there to be more discussion than in all these little threads like mine. The problem is though, with LTT people come onto the site and post questions etc without searching the site at all most times, this leads to the forums being congested with the same topics pretty much, over and over again. This I feel has lead to a blase attitude towards the "community" such as it is, and then becomes more like a free-for-all. It would be nice to have a bit more structure, but can kind of understand that we get a lot of younger members and they might not want too much structure... but it would still be nice to have "official" threads to share settings/findings for the different CPUs, mobos and such... I know that there would be quite a lot of offical threads that way, but would still be less than all the "help me" threads, lol :)

Anyways, won't make this into another TL:DR post. Will post more later after I've done some more testing. I will say that I find it interesting though that in windows the CPU shows as 3.8Ghz all the time and it's only the load that changes, because in linux, at least with the CPU frequency scaling monitor, shows it at 1,55Ghz most of the time, and occassionally bumps up to 3.8, when set on "on-demand" setting.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

OK, short update hopefully...

I played with the settings, I changed the p-states as suggested, but as I have a B350 board, it was a basterdized way of doing it. I dialled in 3800 and set the voltage I wanted in the p-state as I couldn't do it in the OC settings, you only have the option to set AUTO/CUSTOM, so if you change it to custom you're disabling the p-state again, so you have to leave it on auto. This gave me the options in windows to alter the min - max CPU %, but on the downside it downclocked my CPU somehow to 2700 as max. So after playing around with it some more and getting nowhere I came to the conclusion that you really need an x370 board to be able to sort the p-states out at the moment. I would welcome the advice if I got it wrong, and someone has figured out how to do it with a B350 board?

OK, so after giving up on that, I tried some more with my RAM, tried loads of things and didn't work, so still stuck on 2666Mhz for now.

The good news however, is that I played with the voltage some more, and have now got mine running at 3800 @1.275V, I might even try and push that down further, but haven't got any more time today to play with it, lol :D - Also the temps are better, only hitting mid 60s max in cinebench now, but haven't tested with handbrake etc yet.

So, that's stable anyway, which is something that came out of todays fiddling... IIRC the Cinebench score for this now is 1621, which is a bot lower than the previous 1656 I had with the 2133 RAM settings, but this is using less voltage anyway, so I am happy with it for now. Time to put the panel back on the side of the PC now that I don't need to reset CMOS anymore. By the way, this ASrock board now comes with a very easy to reach CMOS reset pin location, which is handy as the CMOS battery is covered by the GPU.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I'm running 3.7 on my "server" but I use the stock fan and have it so it doesn't go overly crazy.  That is with BIOS set to 1.25v ;) It was really simple actually but I used Ryzen Master to determine what was possible then went into BIOS and used those settings.  I had it stable at 3.9Ghz but had the fan at 100% I'm not leaving it there.  Considering this replaced an i5 3570 (I will move my VMs and PLEX off the gaming machine too) its much much faster ;)

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

3 hours ago, ewitte said:

I'm running 3.7 on my "server" but I use the stock fan and have it so it doesn't go overly crazy.  That is with BIOS set to 1.25v ;) It was really simple actually but I used Ryzen Master to determine what was possible then went into BIOS and used those settings.  I had it stable at 3.9Ghz but had the fan at 100% I'm not leaving it there.  Considering this replaced an i5 3570 (I will move my VMs and PLEX off the gaming machine too) its much much faster ;)

Yes, I just have mine set on cool n quiet, my fans don't spin up even when the CPU is in the 60-85C range. I am very happy with these settings for sure, I will give it some time now to see how the day to day running of it goes.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Waiting a bit for my main system there will be motherboard and process refinements that will make 4.2 on water easier to hit.  And Intel will have a response probably this summer;) 

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Really interesting to read about your experiences @paddy-stone, because you cannot find that much about virtualization with Ryzen yet.
My goal is to run KVM on Ryzen, see my thread:

22 hours ago, leletec said:

Really interesting to read about your experiences @paddy-stone, because you cannot find that much about virtualization with Ryzen yet.
My goal is to run KVM on Ryzen, see my thread:

Cool, thank you, and ditto that's some interesting reading there for me to have a look at.

Small update for you. Was having problems with the PC shutting itself off when using folding@home, it was not thermal throttling or anything, so am still troubleshooting what exactly the problem might be.. I tried using a lower frequency, tried using more vcore voltage, tried using less/more voltage for ram and different ram frequency... nothing seemed to fix the problem, and not sure if the problem still remains at the moment as I wanted to get some more stuff done, so more to come on that situation when I have the time.

I have though swapped the thermal paste and made some more settings changes and fan profiles/speeds changed too.

I am now running 3800@1.25vcore 2666Mhz ram@1.35v, turned cool and quiet off and set a custom profile for the CPU fan and case fans are on performance mode to run with CPU temp.... seems to be the best yet so far. ATM I am sitting at 25C (about 5-7C above ambient), only hits 62C max when benching cinebench and have yet to test with folding@home and other tests. I now score 1671 in cinebench with these settings.

More later :)

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

Small update for you. Was having problems with the PC shutting itself off when using folding@home, it was not thermal throttling or anything, so am still troubleshooting what exactly the problem might be.. I tried using a lower frequency, tried using more vcore voltage, tried using less/more voltage for ram and different ram frequency... nothing seemed to fix the problem, and not sure if the problem still remains at the moment as I wanted to get some more stuff done, so more to come on that situation when I have the time.

Is that problem occuring on your Windows VM or directly on Ubuntu?

Something about the mobo I planned to use (Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING 5): I did not find any benchmarks on linux on this board yet, but I wanted to use it due to its double eathernet ports. On the gigabyte site I did not find any drivers for Linux or anything, so I wrote to them. Maybe they will answer at some point in time.

On 4/21/2017 at 6:34 AM, porina said:

Similarly I also have a 6700k system, and from what I've seen of Ryzen so far, I see no reason to move away from the 6700k as my main system in the short term. Cinebench is a best case scenario for Ryzen and doesn't represent my daily use cases, but the 1700 does eat through some less stressful distributed computing work.

What BOINC project you doing?

I really want know how these Ryzen do with BOINC (specifically under a Linux distro)

I am currently waiting for my co partner in pogs to complete (its a 1800X) so I can compare to my 5960X.

If the chips can keep close or right along, I may get one to drop in my dedicated F@H/BOINC rig (it is still trucking on a 1090T).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

What BOINC project you doing?

I really want know how these Ryzen do with BOINC (specifically under a Linux distro)

I am currently waiting for my co partner in pogs to complete (its a 1800X) so I can compare to my 5960X.

If the chips can keep close or right along, I may get one to drop in my dedicated F@H/BOINC rig (it is still trucking on a 1090T).

I mainly do PrimeGrid, where there are two main kinds of CPU tasks.

The LLR tasks look for prime numbers, are comparable in load to Prime95. This is not a good area for Ryzen as the raw IPC is of the ball park half that of Skylake, but with recent multi-thread enabling update (requires some manual configuration), an 8 core Ryzen is competitive against a quad core Intel now. For a recent PSP challenge subproject, I was getting 0.48 credits per second for the 1700 stock (all cores 3.2 GHz) system. This compares with a Haswell i5-4570S (3.2 GHz) at 0.44, and Broadwell i5-5675C (3.5 GHz) at 0.51. Skylake 6600k and 6700k (both at 4.2) were 0.64. I've yet to test multi-core in detail yet, but unlike multiple single-thread running it seems less dependant on ram bandwidth. Note this method of prime finding has a benefit for faster computers, or ones running multi-thread on one unit, as opposed to multiple single units. It's like Top Gun, there are no points for 2nd place. So you really don't want to run a lot of slow units even if the total throughput isn't that bad.

Flip it over to PrimeGrid sieve projects, and Ryzen is close enough in IPC to Intel, but with 8 cores and benefiting from SMT, this system eats the units and blows Intel away. This is kinda like Cinebench... sieve projects give more credit than LLR ones if you're after that kinda thing, as a kinda compensation as these have zero possibility of finding a prime number. However, for pure credit seekers, the GPU projects are even more generous.

So... there is no easy answer as to what is better, as it depends on what you want to do and how they suit the project. Unfortunately for me, I'm more interested in finding big prime numbers and am looking to maintain my world ranking (not limited to PrimeGrid).

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 21/04/2017 at 11:43 PM, jjohnthedon1 said:

Go onto some of my new ryzen threads and contact a guy names tom_something 

he is the guy to talk to 

helped me get to 4ghz and 2933 on ram stable and showed me how to pstate oc so that the cores scale down when. It being used

Do keep postin results I am very interested in your finding and if u have any questions please ask away 

I feel there needs to be an official ryzen thread 

Lol _something

On 22/04/2017 at 0:45 AM, stealth80 said:

urgh, I have the gigabyte AX370

Sorry I seem late to the party on this one :P yeah my guide surrounds the crosshair but the pstates are found in the amd common bios section which should be very very similar between manufacturers, I haven't seen gigabyte but I know in the AsRock taichi bios it looks near identical and works the same way. How did you get on? Did you manage?

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Lol _something

Sorry I seem late to the party on this one :P yeah my guide surrounds the crosshair but the pstates are found in the amd common bios section which should be very very similar between manufacturers, I haven't seen gigabyte but I know in the AsRock taichi bios it looks near identical and works the same way. How did you get on? Did you manage?

Hey Tom, just wanted to say thank you for the guide... I ended up not being able to make use of it as I haven't got an option of assigning an offset voltage (b350 board). So I got it to work kind of, but it limited my frequency, so ended up just resetting and using OC again, it's a little annoying not being able to get c states in windows with this CPU, but am hoping it gets sorted out by either AMD/MS or whoever is responsible for this not being possible at the moment without some modifications.

On the plus side, I got some info out of it though... BTW you didn't really need the table converter, although it was a nice touch.. if you dial in a frequency and voltage, then go into p-states, you can see the values for that OC there I noticed.. just FWIW. Anyway, great job there letting people who can make use of that guide know about it.... if I decide to change to an x370 board I now know how to make the changes needed anyway :)

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

15 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Lol _something

AsRock would look near identical cause they are a sub branch of Asus :) (well not so much anymore, but they are connected)

I have found that I can basically use vcore offset, but I have yet find any decent settings for P-states

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

45 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Lol _something

Sorry couldn't remember off of the top of my head :P 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

43 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Hey Tom, just wanted to say thank you for the guide... I ended up not being able to make use of it as I haven't got an option of assigning an offset voltage (b350 board). So I got it to work kind of, but it limited my frequency, so ended up just resetting and using OC again, it's a little annoying not being able to get c states in windows with this CPU, but am hoping it gets sorted out by either AMD/MS or whoever is responsible for this not being possible at the moment without some modifications.

On the plus side, I got some info out of it though... BTW you didn't really need the table converter, although it was a nice touch.. if you dial in a frequency and voltage, then go into p-states, you can see the values for that OC there I noticed.. just FWIW. Anyway, great job there letting people who can make use of that guide know about it.... if I decide to change to an x370 board I now know how to make the changes needed anyway :)

Hey at least people are reading it, I was initially disheartened by the fact that the thread is literally barren... :/ :) From what I understand the amd cbs is a common core that is present even if you can't change it (I've seen on some forums people force their way into it by editing the bios to make it available) so it's there is just down to your manufacturer to enable it for B350 boards. If I had to guess as to why it's not available I'd say the reason is because it's not 100% stable, yes you can get an OC that works nicely if you follow my guide, however you can't set your voltage via VID (I assume you did this and your frequency dropped to around 2.7Ghz? This is p1 and messing with the VID disables p0 ATM) so when the kinks are worked out I'd expect you to see it on b350 mobos too. I guess from a business perspective their premium/flagship boards have got to get the features 1st for the more advanced tinkers and for an enhanced feature list. Your comment about the hex table yeah not essential but I'm sure it's helpful to some and ironically that spreadsheet took a fraction of the time that the a) troubleshooting/tinkering to get it working and b) taking the bios screenshots and writing it up so it was just an easy lil thing to chuck in at the end for "completion" sake :) 

9 hours ago, stealth80 said:

AsRock would look near identical cause they are a sub branch of Asus :) (well not so much anymore, but they are connected)

I have found that I can basically use vcore offset, but I have yet find any decent settings for P-states

I was under the impression they started as the budget branch of Asus but have been fully independent for a number of years. I should elaborate the taichi bios looks completely different to the asus except when you enter the AMD common bios part, this + the fact that it's called "common" makes me think it's near identical in any bios but has to be enabled by the manufacturer. As I have seen in other forums some people have hacked their way into it on the msi bios. But I don't know how and I wouldn't be brave enough to flash a user edited bios! Just wait for support :) 

Edited by tom_w141
Typed on mobile... Autocorrect -.-

24 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I was under the impression they started as the budget branch of Asus but have been fully independent for a number of years. I should elaborate the taichi bios looks completely different to the asus except when you enter the AMD common bios part, this + the fact that it's called "common" makes me think it's near identical in any bios but has to be enabled by the manufacturer. As I have seen in other forums some people have hacks their way into it on the msi bios. But I don't know how and I wouldn't be brace enough to flash a user edited bios! Just wait for support :) 

They did start out as a budget brand and they did separate, but they are still connected

Ye I will have another look through, but theres nothing under CPU or power

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

On 22.4.2017 at 1:45 AM, stealth80 said:

urgh, I have the gigabyte AX370

So you are running Windows only, right?
Could you test (with a live version of Ubuntu for example) if the mobo supports Linux (all the drivers are there, etc)?

Would be really nice.

2 hours ago, leletec said:

So you are running Windows only, right?
Could you test (with a live version of Ubuntu for example) if the mobo supports Linux (all the drivers are there, etc)?

Would be really nice.

haha nope sorry, I don't have a dual boot and I have zero idea how Linux works, so I couldn't tell you if it was working or not :/

Ryzen Ram Guide

7 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

haha nope sorry, I don't have a dual boot and I have zero idea how Linux works, so I couldn't tell you if it was working or not :/

You can put Ubuntu on a USB device and boot it without changing your Windows installation at all.
It would be nice to see, if you can use both ethernet ports ans so on with it.

On 21/04/2017 at 8:34 PM, paddy-stone said:
  1. Yeah, so basically the entire thing was a total joy to do. The motherboard in general is just what I needed, 2 * m.2 drive ports, 1 which is pci-e and 1 which is SATA. If you use the SATA m.2 port then that only leaves 2 SATA ports that you can use, but is fine for my uses.

umm only 1 m.2 uses the SATA lanes, you will be able to have 5 storage devices, the Ultra M.2 connects direct to the CPU, the sata and the other m.2 (one next the front panel IO is on chipset)
waited 1 month for this mobo, its worth it, best mATX on ryzen hands down, 9 phase power (And its got a good heatsinks on it!!), 

mine is a R7 1700 (3.92 OC), Xfx RX480 (oc 1390c 2225mem), Dark Rock Pro3 HS, corsair LPX 2666, 960Evo 250GB NVMe (2 other un interesting drives) all packed in a ThermalTake Core v21, runs fantastic. 
i would suggest this mobo to anyone looking for a mATX, its got alot of kit on a small board.
OC is pretty straight forward, im not sure how much voltage u can put thru it, but i think you could go toe to toe with some of the bigger boys with this little board. 

i have had it for about a week, it was easy to set up and OC CPU... but in my case, RAM sits at 2133-2166. mem OC is not super friendly, at least on my LPX so maybe look at some Flare RAM, you might have better luck, also remember that Ryzen works better with Single Rank RAM (RAM with the chips on only 1 side for anyone wondering). 

13 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Hey at least people are reading it, I was initially disheartened by the fact that the thread is literally barren... :/ :) From what I understand the amd cbs is a common core that is present even if you can't change it (I've seen on some forums people force their way into it by editing the bios to make it available) so it's there is just down to your manufacturer to enable it for B350 boards. If I had to guess as to why it's not available I'd say the reason is because it's not 100% stable, yes you can get an OC that works nicely if you follow my guide, however you can't set your voltage via VID (I assume you did this and your frequency dropped to around 2.7Ghz? This is p1 and messing with the VID disables p0 ATM) so when the kinks are worked out I'd expect you to see it on b350 mobos too. I guess from a business perspective their premium/flagship boards have got to get the features 1st for the more advanced tinkers and for an enhanced feature list. Your comment about the hex table yeah not essential but I'm sure it's helpful to some and ironically that spreadsheet took a fraction of the time that the a) troubleshooting/tinkering to get it working and b) taking the bios screenshots and writing it up so it was just an easy lil thing to chuck in at the end for "completion" sake :) 

Yeah, that's exactly what happened, with no offset to use. I don't "expect" them to remedy it, as it is a b350 board after all, but it would be nice. I do miss having "full fat" OC options though such as offset voltage, LLC and such.

I'll have to have a look around when itx x370 boards are available, see if there are a few with 2*m.2 slots (1 of each pci-e and sata) and the other "essentials" that I need. 

I am now back to using ICdiamond as my TIM, dropped my temp by about 5-7C on idle compared to the noctua TIM I was using. I'm currently sitting at 27C at idle, so I'm fairly happy with it right now. It's early days, but I hope AMD/MS plan to sort out the power saving features as I can't see the general public wanting to mess with their mobo settings that much, even if they can at all that is, when at every turn AMD is telling you that you're voiding your warranty, lol.... by the way AMD that's f'd up advertising all your cpus as overclockable, and then saying "after purchase I might add" that by altering the CPU from default settings invalidates your warranty. IMO it should only invalidate it for extreme OCs, so up to a certain vcore should be fine. Or maybe I misunderstood them? but to me it looks like they are trying to have their cake and eat it by saying one thing in marketing, and then covering their asses  after purchases have been made. And it seems especially stupid as at stock settings the vcore jumps up much higher than manual settings, lol.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

umm only 1 m.2 uses the SATA lanes, you will be able to have 5 storage devices, the Ultra M.2 connects direct to the CPU, the sata and the other m.2 (one next the front panel IO is on chipset)
waited 1 month for this mobo, its worth it, best mATX on ryzen hands down, 9 phase power (And its got a good heatsinks on it!!), 

mine is a R7 1700 (3.92 OC), Xfx RX480 (oc 1390c 2225mem), Dark Rock Pro3 HS, corsair LPX 2666, 960Evo 250GB NVMe (2 other un interesting drives) all packed in a ThermalTake Core v21, runs fantastic. 
i would suggest this mobo to anyone looking for a mATX, its got alot of kit on a small board.
OC is pretty straight forward, im not sure how much voltage u can put thru it, but i think you could go toe to toe with some of the bigger boys with this little board. 

i have had it for about a week, it was easy to set up and OC CPU... but in my case, RAM sits at 2133-2166. mem OC is not super friendly, at least on my LPX so maybe look at some Flare RAM, you might have better luck, also remember that Ryzen works better with Single Rank RAM (RAM with the chips on only 1 side for anyone wondering). 

No, I already have this board too mate, it specifies

- 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 10), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug

- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Ryzen Series CPU) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with A-Series APU)**
- 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module**

*M2_2 and SATA3_4 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.

Yeah, have had mine for almost a week now I think, very easy to use and love the board itself, and the UEFI is pretty easy to use too, compares favourably to some other vendors ones anyway, I just miss having full fat OC options, so will most likely upgrade to an x370 board when some good itx ones come out if they have all the features I need of course.

, so that makes 3 drives total for you to use if you use the pci-e m.2 slot, the SATA m.2 slot and the 2x SATA ports that are left. The only way you could have 5 drives is to not use the SATA m.2 slot and use the NVME m.2 slot with 4x SATA devices taking up the 4x sata ports.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

17 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yeah, that's exactly what happened, with no offset to use. I don't "expect" them to remedy it, as it is a b350 board after all, but it would be nice. I do miss having "full fat" OC options though such as offset voltage, LLC and such.

I'll have to have a look around when itx x370 boards are available, see if there are a few with 2*m.2 slots (1 of each pci-e and sata) and the other "essentials" that I need. 

I am now back to using ICdiamond as my TIM, dropped my temp by about 5-7C on idle compared to the noctua TIM I was using. I'm currently sitting at 27C at idle, so I'm fairly happy with it right now. It's early days, but I hope AMD/MS plan to sort out the power saving features as I can't see the general public wanting to mess with their mobo settings that much, even if they can at all that is, when at every turn AMD is telling you that you're voiding your warranty, lol.... by the way AMD that's f'd up advertising all your cpus as overclockable, and then saying "after purchase I might add" that by altering the CPU from default settings invalidates your warranty. IMO it should only invalidate it for extreme OCs, so up to a certain vcore should be fine. Or maybe I misunderstood them? but to me it looks like they are trying to have their cake and eat it by saying one thing in marketing, and then covering their asses  after purchases have been made. And it seems especially stupid as at stock settings the vcore jumps up much higher than manual settings, lol.

Overclocking voids an Intel warranty too they just don't warn you (so good guy AMD?) :P I think the reason is there is no safety warning on the VID so you could send crazy voltage and insta kill it (if VID worked).

Sometimes I look at my low load temps and feel like something is wrong, then I remember AMD soldered the IHS :P