psu connectors

Technomancer__
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
1 minute ago, Ethocreeper said:

xfx ts its 50 more

btw i know you dont cheap out on psu. i personally have rm1000i (i know i should have gone with the seasonic prime)

but its for a friend that will now understand to make the investment

CXM is a solid unit, don't worry. Wattage is enough and should have 2x 6+2pin PCIe cables. 

i checked the tier list and its tier 3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020102-UK-CX550M-Bronze-Certified/dp/B01C3FFLZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492768705&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair%2BCX&th=1

it says it has 2 pcie connectors. are they 8 pin?

and btw is it good

this will be in a 1600 with rx 580 or 570

i think its fine

it also has a 5 year warranty

Just now, nunocv said:

Dont buy CX... Go for XFX TS series or a Seasonic one

its a cxm

tier 3 in the list

its a cxm

tier 3 in the list

Buy at least tier 2... You will make a good pc, dont cheap out on PSU. CX and CXM series are not good. Buy a XFX TS or seasonic. Trust me, you dont want a CX PSU

Why did I study Haskell? 

4 minutes ago, nunocv said:

Dont buy CX... Go for XFX TS series or a Seasonic one. 500-600W will be enough

It's the grey label cxm. Build quality not bad. @STRMfrmXMN @Energycore

It has 2 8 pin PCIe connectors: http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/corsair-cx550m-farewell-group-design/2/

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, nunocv said:

Buy at least tier 2... You will make a good pc, dont cheap out on PSU. CX and CXM series are not good. Buy a XFX TS or seasonic. Trust me, you dont want a CX PSU

ok

6 minutes ago, nunocv said:

CXM series is good. XFX's TS series is worse than the CXM line.... My bad on that, was thinking XT series. 

11 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

i checked the tier list and its tier 3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020102-UK-CX550M-Bronze-Certified/dp/B01C3FFLZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492768705&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair%2BCX&th=1

it says it has 2 pcie connectors. are they 8 pin?

and btw is it good

this will be in a 1600 with rx 580 or 570

i think its fine

I believe they should be two 6+2 pin PCIe connectors, so essentially 8pin, yeah. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

CXM series is good. XFX's TS series is worse than the CXM line....

I believe they should be two 6+2 pin PCIe connectors, so essentially 8pin, yeah. 

I hope you are joking. No where near a CX or CXM is as good as a XFX TS, more less better

Why did I study Haskell? 

Just now, nunocv said:

I hope you are joking. No where near a CX or CXM is as good as a XFX TS, more less better

That's my bad on that one, was thinking of the XT series. TS is indeed better, but not a necessary upgrade from the CXM. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That's my bad on that one, was thinking of the XT series. TS is indeed better, but not a necessary upgrade from the CXM. 

Now OP will go for the CXM, oh well. I tried

Of course it is worth upgrade, its arround the same price. You dont cheap out on PSU

There wont be a day when the CX series, being crap, will stop being put on high end builds

Why did I study Haskell? 

8 minutes ago, nunocv said:

Of course it is worth upgrade, its arround the same price. You dont cheap out on PSU

Sure, don't cheap out on the PSU, but a CXM is not cheaping out. Going for something like an EVGA N1 series would be cheaping out, the CXM is solid. 

They're also not the same price at all. The cheapest TS series that's actually available to buy is about $25 more than the CXM unit. EDIT: In the US, may be more where OP is

EDIT: I think you may be going off old information with the CX series. The older green units had some issues with ambient temps and high power draw, making them unsuitable for high end systems. The CXM (grey) series doesn't have those issues and the build quality has greatly improved.

8 minutes ago, nunocv said:

xfx ts its 50 more

btw i know you dont cheap out on psu. i personally have rm1000i (i know i should have gone with the seasonic prime)

but its for a friend that will not understand to make the investment

xfx ts its 50 more

but its for a friend that will now understand to make the investment

CXM is a solid unit, don't worry. Wattage is enough and should have 2x 6+2pin PCIe cables. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Sure, don't cheap out on the PSU, but a CXM is not cheaping out. Going for something like an EVGA N1 series would be cheaping out, the CXM is solid. 

They're also not the same price at all. The cheapest TS series that's actually available to buy is about $25 more than the CXM unit. EDIT: In the US, may be more where OP is

EDIT: I think you may be going off old information with the CX series. The older green units had some issues with ambient temps and high power draw, making them unsuitable for high end systems. The CXM (grey) series doesn't have those issues and the build quality has greatly improved.

In my country they are the same price, thats why I choose the TS! Seasonic ones are even cheaper :D

Why did I study Haskell? 

1 hour ago, nunocv said:

There wont be a day when the CX series, being crap, will stop being put on high end builds

I suggest researching before calling someone out...

The previous Corsair CX series received an unnecessary amount of hate for being "terrible" power supplies... while they were probably mediocre at best, it didn't mean that they were as bad as a lot of people made them out to be. It simply received hate because people put them in high-end builds, like you said.

Now, the newer Corsair CX series (the grey ones) are a custom design from CWT, and are DC-DC regulated, 40C-rated, semi-modular and have a five year warranty to go along with it. On the other hand, the XFX TS series is based on the same platform as the Seasonic S12II/M12II... which has the downside of being a group regulated unit.

Honestly speaking, the newer Corsair CXM series are probably a better choice than the XFX TS.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

14 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I suggest researching before calling someone out...

The previous Corsair CX series received an unnecessary amount of hate for being "terrible" power supplies... while they were probably mediocre at best, it didn't mean that they were as bad as a lot of people made them out to be. It simply received hate because people put them in high-end builds, like you said.

Now, the newer Corsair CX series (the grey ones) are a custom design from CWT, and are DC-DC regulated, 40C-rated, semi-modular and have a five year warranty to go along with it. On the other hand, the XFX TS series is based on the same platform as the Seasonic S12II/M12II... which has the downside of being a group regulated unit.

Honestly speaking, the newer Corsair CXM series are probably a better choice than the XFX TS.

I understand your point perfectly, but just based in the simple tier list, you can conclude that xfx and seasonic s12ii are better, being tier 2 vs CX and CXM tier 3.

In the end, I always prefeer EVGAs G1 series, and higher end stuff, so its all good. I just dont like corsair being so mainstream and offering (sometimes) bad quality for high price here in my country, being 100% honest.

Why did I study Haskell? 

Just now, nunocv said:

I understand your point perfectly, but just based in the simple tier list, you can conclude that xfx and seasonic s12ii are better, being tier 2 vs CX and CXM tier 3.

In the end, I always prefeer EVGAs G1 series, and higher end stuff, so its all good. I just dont like corsair being so mainstream and offering (sometimes) bad quality for high price here in my country, being 100% honest.

Which tier list? The Tom's Hardware one? That one is so bloody awful because it has so many discrepancies, with many forum members and even JonnyGuru himself saying that it's laughable. It's not a good source of info at all.

And EVGA offers bad power supplies as well. The EVGA N1/W1 series for example. The EVGA B1 series is honestly just as mediocre as the old Corsair CXs yet somehow Corsair gets tons of shit and EVGA gets a clean pass just because they're "EVGA".

FYI, the EVGA G1/NEX series has terrible voltage regulation... which can damage the VRMs of your motherboard and GPU. I prefer the old Corsair CXs to be honest.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

15 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Which tier list? The Tom's Hardware one? That one is so bloody awful because it has so many discrepancies, with many forum members and even JonnyGuru himself saying that it's laughable. It's not a good source of info at all.

And EVGA offers bad power supplies as well. The EVGA N1/W1 series for example. The EVGA B1 series is honestly just as mediocre as the old Corsair CXs yet somehow Corsair gets tons of shit and EVGA gets a clean pass just because they're "EVGA".

FYI, the EVGA G1/NEX series has terrible voltage regulation... which can damage the VRMs of your motherboard and GPU. I prefer the old Corsair CXs to be honest.

As much as I respect your opinion, I can't take you seriously when you say you prefer a Corsair CX to an EVGA G1, I meant the G2 series, that was the one I used, but nevertheless, I find it strange that preference. But it's all good, competition for everyone :D

Why did I study Haskell? 

5 minutes ago, nunocv said:

As much as I respect your opinion, I can't take you seriously when you say you prefer a Corsair CX to an EVGA G1, I meant the G2 series, that was the one I used, but nevertheless, I find it strange that preference. But it's all good, competition for everyone :D

The voltage regulation is enough to turn me off from the NEX series. The Corsair CX series just gets too much hate. It's not a matter of competition, it's a matter of buying what's best.

But I will agree that the EVGA G2 series (made by Superflower) are much better power supplies than both.

Spoiler

You are getting the updated CXM version. It is based on a more modern design than the older CWT DSA-III based CXM, Seasonic GB (a seven year design) based XFX TS Bronze and S12II/M12II.

It will be plenty for the proposed system, and it does indeed have two 6+2pin PEG connectors for the GPU.

5 hours ago, nunocv said:

You must have missed the memo, the new CX version is pretty fucking good :) It solved the issues of the older CX and has better voltage reg, but still only a sleeve bearing fan (this can be fixed)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 hours ago, nunocv said:

You're wrong, but OK

3 hours ago, nunocv said:

The G1 has poor voltage regulation and is overpriced. I'd buy the CXM over the G1 myself.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You're wrong, but OK

The G1 has poor voltage regulation and is overpriced. I'd buy the CXM over the G1 myself.

Wrong about what? Could you be more specific?

I meant the G2, never used, and never saw the G1, so my statement, yes it was wrong about the G1

Why did I study Haskell? 

3 hours ago, nunocv said:

Wrong about what? Could you be more specific?

I meant the G2, never used, and never saw the G1, so my statement, yes it was wrong about the G1

The Corsair CXM that the OP had linked to is an updated revision to the series in which it utilized DC-DC in its design. This is allow it to have a vast improvement on electrical performance in respect to line regulation, load regulation, crossload regulation, and response to transient loads. It also allow it to be fully compatible to the C6/C7 sleep state and comply to the latest ATX12V 2.4 standard. They are good, budget units and would be fine for the OP's system.

The XFX TS, or more specifically, the TS Bronze 430/450/550 models are inferior in that respect because it utilized a near decade old, group-regulated design.The 430w model is slightly different, as it does utilized DC-DC for the 3.3V rail. This helps with regulation and crossload regulation somewhat, as the 3.3V load is now on the 12V rail and more "balance" load between the 5V and 12V rails; however, since the 12V/5V rail does share the same output choke, it still inherit the same flaws as any other group-regulated design. This is true for the Seasonic S12II / M12II / Evo design of the 330/380/430/520/620w models as they are based on the same near decade Seasonic GB platform as the TS Bronze. The Seasonic 350w and Eco model are the ST platform like the TS-B 430.

Now the Seasonic GB based units are indeed reliable with good build quality in which, had the OP had gotten it, I wouldn't be too concern. But it is a bit dated, and I personally wouldn't recommend it when there are other, more modern alternatives near the same price point (of course this thought process will differ based on pricing and availability at the time of recommendation). This includes the updated CXM series. This is the reason why you see many stores giving the M/S12II-B a rather large discount lately, as Seasonic seem to be trying to clear the inventory in order to release the new, more modern Core / Core+ series that's coming out later this year to better compete with the change in the market. It's also the reason why the planned Eco Plus (seem to be based on the ST platform) seem to have been dropped.

However, the TS-B 650 and above models is completely different. They are based on a superior platform than the lower wattage TS-B platform - the Seasonic AT / AM. It is more comparable to the CXM series, but it does offer better build quality. The OP can get this, but it typically cost more in which it probably would be better to look at other models. The TS Gold on the other hand (of any wattage) is a better series among the rest - being based on the HB LLC+DC-DC Seasonic G / S12G design. Of course these units are better, as it is targeted at a higher segment than the other series, and the price reflect that.