Noob Recording Advice

Go to solution Solved by AkiraDaarkst,
11 hours ago, Minifortino said:

Excellent, I was worried that the 3.5mm plug could be a problem. I'll definitely get into audition. Thank you dude.

As long as you don't hear noise artifacts or distortions in your recording, it's a fine setup and you don't need to change anything.  No need to go changing something that is working.  But if you do hear unwanted noises or your audio sounds distorted, then you need to investigate what needs fixing or replacing.

I've got a condenser microphone with a XLR cable. Currently, I use an Emx512sc to phantom power it. From it, I send the audio to my laptop through an rca to 3.5mm plug cable (laptop line in), via the "rec out" module in the mixer. The question goes: Will I get better audio quality from an usb interface that goes directly into the laptop?

Microphone is a Tascam TM-80. I'm wondering if my weird setup is bottlenecking the quality. Also, what other features would I get from a dedicated interface?

Thanks to you all.

5 minutes ago, Minifortino said:

I've got a condenser microphone with a XLR cable. Currently, I use an Emx512sc to phantom power it. From it, I send the audio to my laptop through an rca to 3.5mm plug cable (laptop line in), via the "rec out" module in the mixer. The question goes: Will I get better audio quality from an usb interface that goes directly into the laptop?

Microphone is a Tascam TM-80. I'm wondering if my weird setup is bottlenecking the quality. Also, what other features would I get from a dedicated interface?

Thanks to you all.

What's your recorded audio's sampling rate?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

3 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

What's your recorded audio's sampling rate?

I'm not sure if im answering your question here. 48,000 HZ.

I'm a noob.

15 minutes ago, Minifortino said:

I'm not sure if im answering your question here. 48,000 HZ.

I'm a noob.

48khz, 24-bit?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

21 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

48khz, 24-bit?

32 bit float. I've been recording directly from premiere.

3 hours ago, Minifortino said:

32 bit float. I've been recording directly from premiere.

What does your current audio recordings sound like?  Can you post a sample?

2 hours ago, Minifortino said:

Here are two because I love you. They're in spanish, hope that's ok.

Voice Over_9.wav

Voice Over_67.wav

Your audio sounds clean, I don't think you need to invest in an interface.  It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with your setup that can be improved.  If you want to make your voice sound "better" learn to enhance it in software like Audition.

9 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Your audio sounds clean, I don't think you need to invest in an interface.  It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with your setup that can be improved.  If you want to make your voice sound "better" learn to enhance it in software like Audition.

Excellent, I was worried that the 3.5mm plug could be a problem. I'll definitely get into audition. Thank you dude.

11 hours ago, Minifortino said:

As long as you don't hear noise artifacts or distortions in your recording, it's a fine setup and you don't need to change anything.  No need to go changing something that is working.  But if you do hear unwanted noises or your audio sounds distorted, then you need to investigate what needs fixing or replacing.