Plex and VPN and remote access. Easiest option

jarreddean

Hi everyone, 

Recently i integrated my VPN into my home network, however Plex and remote access on VPN don't work. Well not with the one I'm using. I'm trying to think of a solution and ATM it's looking like a second router just for my Plex server. My question is what should I get or is there an easier way to do this? I'm not great with networking and was considering a load balancing router. Thanks in advance 

Jarred

with plex premium you dont have to worry about any of that, and you can just watch them remotely

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

23 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

with plex premium you dont have to worry about any of that, and you can just watch them remotely

Hi Tsuki, I have Plex premium, unfortunately due to the vpn the server doesn't access outside my network. I'm basically trying to bypass the vpn on the router. Thanks 

oh that makes sense!

easiest option probably would be a seperate router for your plex server then.

although that MAY cause issues accessing it from your internal network..

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Who is the VPN provider and how is it setup?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

As @Tsuki said you don't need to setup a VPN to use Plex remotely, just setup the correct port forwards and it'll just work. I can watch my Plex server from anywhere no VPN required.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

As @Tsuki said you don't need to setup a VPN to use Plex remotely, just setup the correct port forwards and it'll just work. I can watch my Plex server from anywhere no VPN required.

I think he means he setup a VPN router side for all traffic, but now he can't see his plex server outside his network. I dont think the VPN is for plex.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

8 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

I think he means he setup a VPN router side for all traffic, but now he can't see his plex server outside his network. I dont think the VPN is for plex.

Thanks benjamins. 

That's right the vpn is for all traffic not for Plex remote access. I set up the VPN through the manual config on expressvpn. Using L2TP. I don't think expressvpn has a forwarding port. I could be wrong though. Cheers jarred

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Thanks leadeater. The VPN isn't for Plex but all other traffic using the network. The Australian government has changed rules lately to do with monitoring internet use.

Does your VPN provider have any port forwarding option?

Expert procrastinator.

On 22/04/2017 at 10:37 AM, Nitroblast said:

Does your VPN provider have any port forwarding option?

Not that I can find. Do you know a vpnthat does ? I'm happy to change if it saves me from buying another router 

Found a sort of solution..ended up changing my VPN service to allow a port out. And used a seperate router for a different the original vpn. Not the best solution but it does the job until I can buy a decent routing solution thanks for your help. 

Jarred