Upgrading from a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo

Go to solution Solved by dizmo,
8 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I know. From what I see with $0 phone plans I have to pay $80 which doesn't make sense. (checked Fido for a G4, which doesn't seem like an upgrade). 

-snip-

I would rather get something in Canada to avoid all the hassle, have warranty and some support just in case. 

Well yeah. That's how it works. You're generally not getting a discount on the phone, you're just getting its cost spread out over the term of your contract. That's why I'd suggest just throwing a phone on a credit card and paying it off that way, if you can't afford it all at once. In the end you'll usually be ahead financially. If you went with Public Mobile, for example, you can get unlimited calling/text and 2GB of data per month for $40/month (might be $45). Over the course of a 2 year contract, you'd save $480 on the contract alone.

As for off contract phones, the Axon Pro is only $299 right now on NewEgg. I suspect the Axon 7 might drop in price by the time your contract expires as well, seeing as an updated version is coming out soon. You could also wait and see when the G5 Plus will come out in Canada, or buy it from the US. It's supposed to be an excellent low-mid tier phone.

Freedom mobile is a bit of a mixed bag, for sure. The fact they can't even provide service over Richmond as a whole is pathetic.

With Virgin don't you have to go with a $90/month plan to get the $0 S7?

I am thinking of upgrading from an S5 Neo as my contract with Virgin about to expire. Sadly I have hard time finding a cheap plan to upgrade to. 

I don't really care if I keep same company or not (which is Virgin)

First, I would like it to be around the price I am paying for. It's a $0 plan and I am playing $65 monthly (note the currency is CAD as I am lazy to type $CAD each time I mention price yet I am still have patience to write this long ass sentence). I have a 2GB DATA per month, unlimited messaging and 500mins of call. Here

Spoiler

My plan Gold 65 - 2GB

$65.00/mo.

• Unlimited Canada to Intl. SMS
  • Standard LD Rate (to U.S. &  CAN)
  • 500 Anytime minutes
  • Call Display
  • myPeeps (vm.ca/mypeeps)
  • Smartphone Data -2 GB
  • Txt & Pic msg to Can & US
  • Voicemail 3
  • Unlimited evenings & wknd from 5PM
  • Canada-Wide Calling
  • Unlimited Incoming Text

Second, here are the features I want

• Fingerprint scanner. 
  • microSD card slot. Size should support at least 64GB.
  • Preferably a camera that can record video at 1080p 60fps
  • Screen size would be nice to keep the same which is 5.1 inches, resolution doesn't matter. It's currently a 1080p screen
  • Good battery life obviously. I can see how good S5 Neo battery life is compared to an iPhone 5S that I had. Loved the finger scanner on it .
  • Optional: available in blue, though I would most likely get a case
  • Oh and Android because iOS would cost a fortune

Just now, Aytex said:

Moto Z play?

Its a really great device for battery life. 

Snapdragon 625 and a 3510 Mah battery, it packs power and efficiency. 

Having hard time finding it after a quick google search. Only link in Canada directs to a refurbed unit at Bestbuy. Though it seems it's been released recently

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 looks pretty lit. not sure if it supports all the bands you need though.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Having hard time finding it after a quick google search. Only link in Canada directs to a refurbed unit at Bestbuy. Though it seems it's been released recently

Yeah, looks like it. Shame..

Redmi note 3 pro, and 4 are a good option.

But certain band issues could possibly be there In Toronto with virgin, your bands in the city should be okay. but i'm not 100% sure how it will perform in the real world. cause all im looking at are numbers.

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Yeah, looks like it. Shame..

hb regular moto z (non play)

9 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Moto Z play?

Its a really great device for battery life. 

Snapdragon 625 and a 3510 Mah battery, it packs power and efficiency. 

careful with the moto z play, in some parts of Canada it costs much as an s7.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

hb regular moto z (non play)

no headphone jack, heating issue, bad battery life. 

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

More of a flagship device, its got a stronger processor, I think battery life is quite worse

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

no headphone jack, heating issue, bad battery life. 

so like a budget iphone 7 huh

10 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 looks pretty lit. not sure if it supports all the bands you need though.

I just got one recently. Packs almost everything @deXxterlab97 need. However, you need to consider the band issue.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, ZM Fong said:

I just got one recently. Packs almost everything @deXxterlab97 need. However, you need to consider the band issue.

10 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I'd rather find a unicorn lol. Nope. that option is unfortunately out

What do you get for your $65/mo plan wise?

It'd be easier to suggest something if we knew what kind of plan we had to give you in comparison ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

What do you get for your $65/mo plan wise?

It'd be easier to suggest something if we knew what kind of plan we had to give you in comparison ;)

Oh right I forgot

Damn

2GB data / month

I don't talk much, I send messages mostly but I think I have 500 mins

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Take a look at this, select bell as virgin uses their towers.

imo the redmi note 3 pro should be good then

Snap 650 and 4100 mah, also thriving in rom support in XDA

it's not that, I can't find anywhere to even buy it

Have you considered getting a cheaper plan with another provider and just paying out of pocket for a decent phone?

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Take a look at this, select bell as virgin uses their towers.

imo the redmi note 3 pro should be good then

Snap 650 and 4100 mah, also thriving in rom support in XDA

How does that help him if the phone doesn't support the bands he needs?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Have you considered getting a cheaper plan with another provider and just paying out of pocket for a decent phone?

How does that help him if the phone doesn't support the bands he needs?

It does? 2/6 bands

in the city hes going to be on 4,7 most of the time.

Special edition also has supports more bands but not sure if it actually helps more

pretty sure the 4 supports even less bands  than the 3, on virgin

Just now, dizmo said:

I'd end up paying few hundred bucks. Not really want to.

19 minutes ago, Aytex said:

It does? 2/6 bands

in the city hes going to be on 4,7 most of the time.

Special edition also has supports more bands but not sure if it actually helps more

What phone are you looking at? The ones I find don't support band 2, and band 7 is in select markets only. Band 4 is the one you want with Bell, as it's most commonly used.

17 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

From switching contracts? Or in general? If you pay less per month and have to pay more up front for the phone, you generally save money in the long run...

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-5-5-FHD-3GB-RAM/311331_32792320034.html

So yes you're going to have to get it on china, HK goldway is pretty good, quite a few members that I know has had great experiences.

This is the 4x though, its got a 625, same bands, same battery. IIRC it has better battery life due to smaller nm (as they do not have the 3 pros in stock)

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

From switching contracts? Or in general? If you pay less per month and have to pay more up front for the phone, you generally save money in the long run...

I know. From what I see with $0 phone plans I have to pay $80 which doesn't make sense. (checked Fido for a G4, which doesn't seem like an upgrade). Other place seems higher. 

And I can't find available plans for me to upgrade to (such as pricing) as I'd have to go talk to a customer rep. I still have few months left (contract expires this June 11).

Freedom Mobile seems cheap but I have horrible experience with their signals. (my mom complained a lot when they were still Wind, not sure if that has been resolved. I love the unlimited data though, yes I know there is a limit). 

17 minutes ago, Aytex said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-5-5-FHD-3GB-RAM/311331_32792320034.html

So yes you're going to have to get it on china, HK goldway is pretty good, quite a few members that I know has had great experiences.

This is the 4x though, its got a 625, same bands, same battery. IIRC it has better battery life due to smaller nm (as they do not have the 3 pros in stock)

I would rather get something in Canada to avoid all the hassle, have warranty and some support just in case.