i have a linux question

thomas harding

Ubuntu? Its linux.

Its because of its lightweight and free ness

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

system 76 so they don't have to pay for windows and can control their own eco system mostly. and because there against the dick sheriff named the nsa who deputized microsoft to give them all their information. also monopolies are bad just look at are banana crop 

A lot of servers use soem form of linux or Ubuntu.Microsoft uses Ubuntu images in their azure servers 

My life

6 minutes ago, thomas harding said:

what business use ubuntu and why

its pretty big on Azure, Microsoft's cloud platform. I dont know what people use it on that platform for it will be a huge number of things

its a big question.

Some business are swapping MS SBS because they got screwed over by it.

Canonical is pushing Ubuntu for displays, for example all of the buses in my city have an LCD to display information and ads; they all run Ubuntu. I know this because iv seen them spit out error screens on faulty hardware.

In some NZ Mcdonalds restaurants the menus and displays are running Ubuntu; I know this because iv seen them spit out error messages when the internet goes down.

The reason why i think Ubuntu is used over other OS is because its $0 and gets long term support from Canonical.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

The legal part is easier. Ubuntu and Linux in general let you do whatever the heck you want. Build a nuclear submarine, modify it and sell it as Lindoze, install it on one server or 3 million. Not the same can be done with the Other OS...

Canonical offers great support both paid and unpaid. Unpaid as in, fast updates and security patches for software in the main repository. Not the same can be said about the other OS.

They get useful stuff like LXD and snaps for $0

And if you asked why RedHat... anybody ever dream about zero restarts per year? Lately theoretically possible with kpatch. Certainly better than the other OS and its inefficient updates.

As a business of course these are gold: free and freedom, support, uptime with no disruptions, great tools etc.

On 4/20/2017 at 9:00 PM, thomas harding said:

what business use ubuntu and why

Many businesses. Linux is very popular in the server market. I think Linux holds about 33% market share in Server OS's. Linux is secure, Highly customization, and low cost for business. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.