Does RAM speed REALLY matter?

nicklmg

Bottom line still is: It simply doesn't matter in "day-to-day" builds between 500 - 800 bucks, because you will pretty much always be GPU Bound in those. Even on Ryzen it won't matter, because you will be GPU Bound. And even then, at least in my book 2-5 FPS more aren't worth around 60 bucks more.

Also, a lot of "midrange" Games are still only using 2 Cores at max, so on those the CCX-Speed isn't really effecting anything. Coming from an 860K oced to 4,4 GHz, there is nothing my R5 1600 can't handle. Even in OpenGL Games - which where severly bottlenecked by the 860K - under Linux the Jump from 15-25 FPS to 60-80 FPS (Hitman) is the jump from CPU to GPU Bottleneck.

Dual-Channel is more important - IMHO. So rather then getting one 8 GB-2133/2400, get two 4 GB. The difference will be greater, than going to 3200 and beyond on just one 8GB stick.

Good news everyone...!

• 1 year later...
On 4/21/2017 at 1:31 AM, cpy said:

Try benchmarking game Factorio with insane map size and big factory. RAM speed there have almost higher effect than CPU speed! Crazy optimized game.

yep i have that game and disorder  people are tell me to get faster ram they should re do the video and add more cpu game that are open ended like factorio 

I mean they say it doesn't matter till they see and feel it when they go try smaller one the difference is obvious... oh.. and ram speed matters

Bolivia.

diminishing returns as usual.

difference between 3200 and 4000+ mhz.  like 1%?

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

• 8 months later...

Still a bit confused, I'm getting i9  9900k thinking of getting 4400mhz ram what would be the sweet spot for the ram? would it vary between 4x4 kits or 2x8gb kits or 2x8gb kits etc 

my board is  Msi z390 gaming plus

• 1 month later...

To the attention of Linus and Anthony:

The way Linus presents things, on my PC, it does not matter if i am with intel core 2 quad q9650, 16 gigabytes, dual channel of DDR3 1066 mhz ram or if i am with intel core 2 quad q9650 ,16 gigabytes, dual channel of DDR3 1333 mhz ram, most likely i will not feel and notice improvement, because ram performance is only part of overall system performance and there are all the other aspects, that define overall system performance, but if i am with intel core 2 quad q9650, 8 gigabytes, dual channel of DDR2, 667 mhz ram and upgrade from to intel core 2 quad q9650, 8 gigabytes, dual channel of DDR3 1333 mhz ram i will feel notable system performance improvement. correct me if i'm wrong....