Charging phone while connecting to a PC

So I just read about this 

https://www.cnet.com/news/transform-a-usb-hub-into-the-ultimate-diy-gadget-charger/

How a USB hub can be used for charging a phone. Yes that's s1mple.

But it doesn't mention anywhere how fast it will be charging. 

I know that if you connect your phone to a computer then it will charge but tje charging speed is slow versus plugging it to the wall. 

So what I want is ability to chare my phone fast while still be able to access it on a PC. As of now only 1 device will be charging but I could get it up to 2. 

So would a powered USB hub doea the trick? I am not too concerned that it would be a little bit slower than plugging directly to the wall. 

Wont work, ever. Usb protocal works only at 500ma which doesnt even charge some phones these days. Any usb port providing more than 500ma isnt operating to spec and this does not do data transfer unless its extremely specialized, which a usb hub would not be.

Best case is Mobos supporting it like MSI and Asus. They have programs to allow for fast-er charging while doing data. but thats because its supported on a hardware level.  

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Yeah, it will work, as long as the hub has power.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

What you need for that is a powered USB hub, yes.

USB port on a PC can't supply enough mA for fast charging

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Wont work, ever. Usb protocal works only at 500ma which doesnt even charge some phones these days. Any usb port providing more than 500ma isnt operating to spec and this does not do data transfer unless its extremely specialized, which a usb hub would not be.

Best case is Mobos supporting it like MSI and Asus. They have programs to allow for fast-er charging while doing data. but thats because its supported on a hardware level.  

USB powered hub that supply up to 2A for phone charging do exist, and they're inexpensive ;)

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-USB-Power-Adapter/dp/B00DQFGJR4?th=1

it might work, regular usb 2 ports do 5v 500ma

so it'll charge

add another device, and it wont charge at all..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

USB powered hub that supply up to 2A for phone charging do exist, and they're inexpensive ;)

1.2A Max per port which isnt any faster than a regular charger though. Start filing up that hub and the supplied amperage will be less.

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

1.2A Max per port which isnt any faster than a regular charger though. Start filing up that hub and the supplied amperage will be less.

yeah, but that's what he's asking about;

17 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

So what I want is ability to chare my phone fast while still be able to access it on a PC. As of now only 1 device will be charging but I could get it up to 2. 

So would a powered USB hub doea the trick? I am not too concerned that it would be a little bit slower than plugging directly to the wall

;)

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

yeah, but that's what he's asking about;

;)

Ah whoops. I read fast charging assumed 3A+ charging methods. 

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

Ah whoops. I read fast charging assumed 3A+ charging methods. 

Just need something fast, not as I need that Fast charge technology

9 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I actually will take a look at one of the powered usb 3.0 hub I have lying around, it's semi broken so I don't know how good it will be (2/4 ports are dead)

8 minutes ago, themctipers said:

it might work, regular usb 2 ports do 5v 500ma

so it'll charge

add another device, and it wont charge at all..

hmm I will

check what mine support

14 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

What you need for that is a powered USB hub, yes.

USB port on a PC can't supply enough mA for fast charging

hmm maybe I could invest in some motherboard that does that, wonder if it will be faster than USB powered hub

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Just need something fast, not as I need that Fast charge technology

I actually will take a look at one of the powered usb 3.0 hub I have lying around, it's semi broken so I don't know how good it will be (2/4 ports are dead)

hmm I will

check what mine support

hmm maybe I could invest in some motherboard that does that, wonder if it will be faster than USB powered hub

Afaik all phones can take 1a

it should be able to take 500ma, but it'll say not charging or it won't charge at all. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 20/04/2017 at 9:14 PM, themctipers said:

it should be able to take 500ma, but it'll say not charging or it won't charge at all. 

Z3C, battery drains although it says "charging" while connected to my PC and I'm actively using it :P 

From my experience, you're unable to charge and use your phone at the same time with a 0.5A "charger" if its an android but you can with an iPhone...

That's what I concluded from my "test" as when I was in Japan last summer, my sister' and I were playing Pokemon Go and we were both running out of charge. Her 6S was able to charge while playing pokemon Go from a USB port in a car (that was labelled 5V 0.5A) although my Z3C wouldn't even say "charging". This made me curious so I tried with my mother's 6 plus and Huawei p9 (while surfing the web) 6 plus charges but her P9 would not...

2 android devices, 2 iPhones, android 0, iPhone 2, I think it was conclusive enough xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

23 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Z3C, battery drains although it says "charging" while connected to my PC and I'm actively using it :P 

From my experience, you're unable to charge and use your phone at the same time with a 0.5A "charger" if its an android but you can with an iPhone...

That's what I concluded from my "test" as when I was in Japan last summer, my sister' and I were playing Pokemon Go and we were both running out of charge. Her 6S was able to charge while playing pokemon Go from a USB port in a car (that was labelled 5V 0.5A) although my Z3C wouldn't even say "charging". This made me curious so I tried with my mother's 6 plus and Huawei p9 (while surfing the web) 6 plus charges but her P9 would not...

2 android devices, 2 iPhones, android 0, iPhone 2, I think it was conclusive enough xD 

mine says charging but it slowly depletes (a few hours = 1%)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.