HyperX Cloud 2 vs Audio Technica ath-m50x (Comfort)

Hi, i'm thinking of buying some new headphones for listening to music, editing, and gaming. I am thinking of either using the HyperX Cloud 2 or the Audio Technica ath-m50x. Right now, I prefer the m50x but am still undecided on comfort. I hear that the cloud 2 is very comfortable but don't know too much about the m50x. How comfortable is it compared to the cloud 2 (Keeping in mind that I have big ears)

5 minutes ago, Phyren said:

Hi, i'm thinking of buying some new headphones for listening to music, editing, and gaming. I am thinking of either using the HyperX Cloud 2 or the Audio Technica ath-m50x. Right now, I prefer the m50x but am still undecided on comfort. I hear that the cloud 2 is very comfortable but don't know too much about the m50x. How comfortable is it compared to the cloud 2 (Keeping in mind that I have big ears)

Take a look at the HD 598 Cs very comfortable.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

M50x's are bad, both in value and comfort.

I would give the pinned thread a look

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Sounds like you're really looking for DT770's. Very comfortable, large soundstage, technically better than the M50X's in virtually every aspect. Usually ~$100 used with a detachable cable mod.

I loved my AudioTechnica M30's, they lasted me many many years. Almost a decade if I recall correctly.

I wouldn't go for the 50s though, aren't the 40s a lot cheaper? They have basically the same features as well.

You said for gaming, yet listed one with a mic and one without. If you listen to music more, I'd get a proper set of headphones.

If it's for gaming, the one with the mic is obviously superior.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

I loved my AudioTechnica M30's, they lasted me many many years. Almost a decade if I recall correctly.

I wouldn't go for the 50s though, aren't the 40s a lot cheaper? They have basically the same features as well.

You said for gaming, yet listed one with a mic and one without. If you listen to music more, I'd get a proper set of headphones.

If it's for gaming, the one with the mic is obviously superior.

I have an external mic that works fine for me so the mic isn't a big deal

8 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

Sounds like you're really looking for DT770's. Very comfortable, large soundstage, technically better than the M50X's in virtually every aspect. Usually ~$100 used with a detachable cable mod.

what ohm do you recommend?

Also, would u say it's more comfortable than the cloud 2?

1 hour ago, Phyren said:

what ohm do you recommend?

Also, would u say it's more comfortable than the cloud 2?

Depends on your motherboard/amplifier.

Definitely more comfortable. HyperX Clouds are baby DT770's; even their design is very similar. 

5 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

Depends on your motherboard/amplifier.

Definitely more comfortable. HyperX Clouds are baby DT770's; even their design is very similar. 

I might get a small USB external sound card. I'm looking at this right now https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER. Should I upgrade this. Is this best for 80 or 250 ohms. What is the difference between different ohms anyway. I wanna know if 250 is worth the extra money.

4 hours ago, Phyren said:

I might get a small USB external sound card. I'm looking at this right now https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER. Should I upgrade this. Is this best for 80 or 250 ohms. What is the difference between different ohms anyway. I wanna know if 250 is worth the extra money.

More ohms is slightly better and more difficult to power with the DT models. Also, your motherboard very likely puts out better sound than that adapter. What motherboard do you have? 

If you don't have amplification, probably get the 32 ohm model. If you have good onboard audio, probably a used pair of 80 ohms. If you want a cheap amplifier, perhaps look at a $30 Cmoy; any more than that and you'd be better served looking at nicer headphones.

+1 DT770, love em more than m50x :P

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

18 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

More ohms is slightly better and more difficult to power with the DT models. Also, your motherboard very likely puts out better sound than that adapter. What motherboard do you have? 

If you don't have amplification, probably get the 32 ohm model. If you have good onboard audio, probably a used pair of 80 ohms. If you want a cheap amplifier, perhaps look at a $30 Cmoy; any more than that and you'd be better served looking at nicer headphones.

I have an msi z170 sli but i plan to run my audio through the front ports. I have a fractal design define r5 if that's important. I think I am going to get the 80 ohms. Also, what soundcard do u recommend? Should I use the one that it can bundle with on amazon?

3 hours ago, Phyren said:

I have an msi z170 sli but i plan to run my audio through the front ports. I have a fractal design define r5 if that's important. I think I am going to get the 80 ohms. Also, what soundcard do u recommend? Should I use the one that it can bundle with on amazon?

Don't recommend a sound card. If you want good electronics, get an external amp, though that's not recommended at this price point given that your mobo already has a reasonable one built in (one OP1652 each for the front and rear), acting like a sort of basic SMPS-powered Cmoy. It's not great, but it'll power the headphones without issue.

If you're seriously considering spending a significant amount extra on an amp, you may want to post a new topic discussing best solutions for your budget (for instance, if you have $250 to spend, you could potentially pick up something much nicer like an HD600/Mad Dogs/many other things and a starter amp). 

Also would recommend buying used off r/avexchange if possible; you'd be paying around $100 for an upgraded set. If you want new try buying off Jet.com; you can get them under $150 with promocode SPRING15. Of particular note are DT770-32's with a free FiiO A1 mobile amp, carrying case, and 32GB SD card or DT770-250's with a free Audio Technica 3350 mic.

• 7 months later...
On 2017-04-20 at 9:12 PM, Nimrodor said:

fyt gu mdrty

I had the DT770 and sold them after awhile. They bass on them is somewhat iffy if you push them hard. Mine had a rattle in them after awhile...

I have since stepped up and gotten the Sony MDR-Z7 and nothing is more comfortable than those. The DT770 were not even in the same league in any way as these babies.

For gaming the Cloud or Cloud Core would be my choice, unless USB is important to you. DT770 vs Cloud for gaming sessions, stick to the HyperX Cloud... The DT770 is NOT what you want, especially when the M50X is on your choice list. That said, the M50X is terrible value, as is pretty much any M-series from AT unless you are buying for specific reference purpose, but for gaming the absolute lack of soundstage kills the entire M-line from being worthwhile for anything other than to just say "Yea I saw someone on a stream use them and he raves about them so I got them."

If you DO want bass like the 770's would offer, take a look at V-Moda M-100, of which you can get the BoomPro mic direct from V-Moda. But, since you are already looking at the Clouds, I think you'd be fine with the Cloud lineup.

Oh, and stock for stock without changing pads, the Clouds are 100x more comfortable than the M50X, especially for prolonged use.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

14 hours ago, sobe said:

For gaming the Cloud or Cloud Core would be my choice, unless USB is important to you. DT770 vs Cloud for gaming sessions, stick to the HyperX Cloud... The DT770 is NOT what you want, especially when the M50X is on your choice list. That said, the M50X is terrible value, as is pretty much any M-series from AT unless you are buying for specific reference purpose, but for gaming the absolute lack of soundstage kills the entire M-line from being worthwhile for anything other than to just say "Yea I saw someone on a stream use them and he raves about them so I got them."

If you DO want bass like the 770's would offer, take a look at V-Moda M-100, of which you can get the BoomPro mic direct from V-Moda. But, since you are already looking at the Clouds, I think you'd be fine with the Cloud lineup.

Oh, and stock for stock without changing pads, the Clouds are 100x more comfortable than the M50X, especially for prolonged use.

Nothing about the M50x is even close to reference, they have boosted bass, dip in mids that makes them sound a tad muddy and the treble is boosted. They are very much V shaped. Not a single headphone in their Mx0x line is close to reference.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 7:19 AM, Dackzy said:

Nothing about the M50x is even close to reference, they have boosted bass, dip in mids that makes them sound a tad muddy and the treble is boosted. They are very much V shaped. Not a single headphone in their Mx0x line is close to reference.

I don't think you understood what I said, though if talking reference in regards to sound, there is none. Reference is a made-up shenanigans thanks to John Grado via marketing. Kind of like "gaming headset", "gaming keyboard", etc. etc. marketing trickery to fool the uneducated.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2