Lighting that won't get too hot

So both my wife and I have used CableMod branded LED strips (from MicroCenter).

After almost a year of use, we discovered a few things.

In my wife's case, the (UV) LEDs were bright/hot enough that the light beams have been permanently burned into the plastic components they were close to. The white LEDs in my case turned yellow over time and the clear rubber coating protecting the LED strip cracked in a few places and is effectively peeling off.

For now, we've removed these LED strips from our cases.

I'm looking for ways to go back into case lighting but with something that won't be producing so much heat that it will burn itself or things around it over time. What options do I have? I know what's out there, but I'd like some recommendations.

---

If you're running your lights 24/7, I dont think theres much you can do to prevent that. (This is entirely opinion and has very little factual evidence to back up)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

If you're running your lights 24/7, I don't think there's much you can do to prevent that.

Well, I wouldn't say 24/7, but certainly they were on any time the PCs were on.

So are even cold cathode tubes no better than LEDs in this regard?

Would it do anything to be able to dim the lights? (The ones we had would connect straight to SATA power so we had no brightness control)

---

2 hours ago, PrimeSonic said:

So both my wife and I have used CableMod branded LED strips (from MicroCenter).

After almost a year of use, we discovered a few things.

In my wife's case, the (UV) LEDs were bright/hot enough that the light beams have been permanently burned into the plastic components they were close to. The white LEDs in my case turned yellow over time and the clear rubber coating protecting the LED strip cracked in a few places and is effectively peeling off.

For now, we've removed these LED strips from our cases.

I'm looking for ways to go back into case lighting but with something that won't be producing so much heat that it will burn itself or things around it over time. What options do I have? I know what's out there, but I'd like some recommendations.

@PrimeSonic Sorry about this, we have since fixed this issue, please email support@CableMod.com and we will get you replacements.

32 minutes ago, CableMod said:

@PrimeSonic Sorry about this, we have since fixed this issue, please email support@CableMod.com and we will get you replacements.

The offer is much appreciated. Though with the purchases having happened so long ago, I couldn't impose on a replacement this far in.

(Not to mention that the effort required to gather all the proof-of-purchase data is more than I think it's worth it to get a free replacement strip)

But if things have improved from an engineering standpoint, then I would be all too happy to pick up a new pack of lighting strips.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll probably contact support to ask about some best practices to get the most out of my LED strips just to give the next LEDs I use best shot they can get.

---

57 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

The offer is much appreciated. Though with the purchases having happened so long ago, I couldn't impose on a replacement this far in.

(Not to mention that the effort required to gather all the proof-of-purchase data is more than I think it's worth it to get a free replacement strip)

But if things have improved from an engineering standpoint, then I would be all too happy to pick up a new pack of lighting strips.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll probably contact support to ask about some best practices to get the most out of my LED strips just to give the next LEDs I use best shot they can get.

@PrimeSonic we're here when you need it. :)