Guide to P State (Variable Frequency) Overclocking on the Crosshair vi Hero

12 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Some important things to remember:

- You can only change the hex value in P0 if you change the voltage value it will not work.

- Voltage shouldn't be fixed it should vary with clocks make sure voltage is set to offset not manual (You choose the maximum voltage via offset).

- You need to use the high performance power plan or AMD balanced plan. To get the AMD plan you will need to manually update your chipset driver: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 10 - 64

- Within the high performance or AMD plan you need to edit the minimum processor frequency. In my guide I use 20%.

Step 11 in my OP:

edit the plan -> change advanced power settings -> expand "Processor Power Management" -> expand "Minimum Processor State" -> set this at 20%

Let me know if you are still having issues.

Oh. That would explain it. I thought it was the power plan itself being referenced, but I didn't go deep enough into it to find the other settings. I went into AI Suite's Digi+ settings and set CPU and VDSOC to Optimized. Before this, voltage seemed to hover around the 3.95 range, sometimes dropping to 1.32V. With just that Digi+ change, average idle voltage is about 0.8-1.1V, still dips down to 0.4V sometimes and does spike to in the 1.3V range on occasion. Nowhere near the sporadic jumps it was having before, for sure. The clock seems to prefer a low-line speed of 2.2GHz regardless what I tell Windows to do. 

Processor was running about 33°C average before voltage change with a Kraken X62 running fans at 900rpm*. With the same RPM (I don't want to run much lower on the Kraken, it's my primary case air intake) it's running just a few celcius over ambient, which is roughly 20-21°C with average temp, currently, looking like 23-24°C. I may increase the fan speed a little, PCH (which is I understand correctly, is the chipset) is a toasty 47°C. That's probably perfectly fine, though.

I got the Ryzen power plan as well and I'm currently using it, because why not, I guess. 

I've tried an overclock of 3.9GHz and 3.85GHz. Both were unstable in Cenabench with 1.41V, or so AI Suite said voltage was. I can't seem to pull an overclock of 3.85GHz and higher. I can get away with 1.37V for 3.8GHz, but Cenabench is unstable at 3.85GHz with 1.41V. Strange.

Thanks for making this post, it really helped me out! I may not have won the silicon lottery, but I can still walk away feeling accomplished.

2 hours ago, RedshiftTheFox said:

I've tried an overclock of 3.9GHz and 3.85GHz. Both were unstable in Cenabench with 1.41V, or so AI Suite said voltage was. I can't seem to pull an overclock of 3.85GHz and higher. I can get away with 1.37V for 3.8GHz, but Cenabench is unstable at 3.85GHz with 1.41V. Strange.

AI suite is absolute crap. Uninstall that and do it 100% in the bios. You might get a slightly more stable OC this way.

I'm glad you got it to downclock though :) Btw doing it this way lets you KEEP XFR boost. If you do a fixed overclock XFR = disabled

1 hour ago, tom_w141 said:

AI suite is absolute crap. Uninstall that and do it 100% in the bios. You might get a slightly more stable OC this way.

I'm glad you got it to downclock though :) Btw doing it this way lets you KEEP XFR boost. If you do a fixed overclock XFR = disabled

I only really used AI Suite for fan control and sometimes temps, I had a bad experience trying to overclock in-OS using it. Voltage would consistently drop to and below 0.2, lowest I seen during that was 0.013V before the OS completely exploded. I thought I killed the processor, luckily I was able to load it back up and set back those settings. I've never touched the OC side of Ai Suite since, just the fan controls.

I'd use the NZXT Cam software, but last I used it, it still registered the 20°C offset the X-Series processors have. If they'd updated the software to account for that since July, I'll definitely, but kindly, tell Ai Suite to go to the corner and think about what it did. I should check to see if it has been updated since to account for that offset. 

Edit;

Looks like I have the latest NZXT Cam, version 3.3.4. 

I have toyed with BIOS fan curves, some fans i want to run lower than what the BIOS allows me to, and at some tempature points the speed I'd prefer can't be entered, or rather accepted. It may be better now, I've went through two BIOS updates since. 

Edited by RedshiftTheFox

7 hours ago, RedshiftTheFox said:

I only really used AI Suite for fan control and sometimes temps, I had a bad experience trying to overclock in-OS using it. Voltage would consistently drop to and below 0.2, lowest I seen during that was 0.013V before the OS completely exploded. I thought I killed the processor, luckily I was able to load it back up and set back those settings. I've never touched the OC side of Ai Suite since, just the fan controls.

I'd use the NZXT Cam software, but last I used it, it still registered the 20°C offset the X-Series processors have. If they'd updated the software to account for that since July, I'll definitely, but kindly, tell Ai Suite to go to the corner and think about what it did. I should check to see if it has been updated since to account for that offset. 

Edit;

Looks like I have the latest NZXT Cam, version 3.3.4. 

I have toyed with BIOS fan curves, some fans i want to run lower than what the BIOS allows me to, and at some tempature points the speed I'd prefer can't be entered, or rather accepted. It may be better now, I've went through two BIOS updates since. 

Use Hwinfo 64 in "sensor only" mode its the best and most detailed monitoring app and has had the 20 deg offset fix for months.

tdie = true

tctrl = offset

On 4-8-2017 at 11:29 PM, Dash Lambda said:

This is awesome. I was so disappointed when I found out that overclocking Ryzen forces a static state, but this completely fixed my problems.

(and @Premchand)

If this is still an issue, I have a few things:

-Update your BIOS just to make sure, unless you've already done that since this post.

-Set "Core Performance Boost" in the tweaker to Auto. I believe this affects Precision Boost and XFR, I'm not sure, but I have it on Auto.

-Try using the Ryzen power plan from AMD, again just to make sure.

Those, at least as far as I can tell, are what I'm doing differently. I'm also using Level 2 LLC, but my voltage was behaving probably before I changed that, my system was just unstable.

EDIT: I also suggest trying the Windows 'Balanced' power plan, as that much more consistently lowers my CPU's voltage.

I have tried 1501 and it still doesn't drop the voltage. I was on 1403. I tried a bunch of setting and even if the only thing i changes is the 0 pstate the core voltage doesn't drop anymore. I was using the balanced power plan and i tried the ryzen power plan. The clock drops as it should with both, but the voltage doesn't drop. :(

1 hour ago, Premchand said:

I have tried 1501 and it still doesn't drop the voltage. I was on 1403. I tried a bunch of setting and even if the only thing i changes is the 0 pstate the core voltage doesn't drop anymore. I was using the balanced power plan and i tried the ryzen power plan. The clock drops as it should with both, but the voltage doesn't drop. :(

Have you followed step 11?

6 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Yes I did do that.

On 8/11/2017 at 7:43 PM, tom_w141 said:

Same for me. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero with 1501 installed. VCore doesn't drop in HWInfo - unless I set minimum and maximum speed to 20% in windows power plan. Frequency drops, though.

Edit: OK, while thinking about my results this makes perfect sense. When looking at the VCore levels to see whether it's lowering the Voltage in HWInfo, it didn't unless I lowered the maximum speed in the power plan. I looked at the core frequencies and noticed single cores being clocked up high and some clocked down low. In order to get those up high frequencies, the VCore had to be pstate0. It's either a display, measurement, or pure logic thing. The VCore only drops if all cores are at a low power state. This is somewhat different to Intel SpeedStep overclocking I've done with my 2600K. I'd love to see working VID in pstate compared to offset OCing, for comparison.

Great fast learning guide. It appears at the top for google search for ryzen 1700 p state oc. 

Thanks.

Did anyone contact ASUS or AMD about the pstate VID issue yet?

On 14-8-2017 at 7:15 PM, panni said:

unless I set minimum and maximum speed to 20%

I have tried this but even if i set the maximum to 20% so all cores do downclock but still my voltage doesn't. What you said make sense, but it doesn't seems to be the case for me. I must have a different issue than you. Glad im not the only one tho :P

Hi. Thank you for the guide. My friends over at Facebook pointed me here so I joined this forum. Lots of good stuff here! The AMD Ryzen Power Management still doesn't work, which I'm sure is well known.

My new built PC about a week old now & consists of an AMD 7-1700 with stock cooler, Asus Prime X370-Pro, Asus Dual RX580, I went with 16Gb of Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz because it passed Asus MB compatibility & a Crucial 275Gb SSD main drive. Running Windows 10 64-bit Home. I don't game but do long 4k video renders so power management & faster renders would be good to have!

Before using the guide I had changed BIOSAi Tweaker / Ai Overclock Tuner from Default to DOCP. This brought the RAM specs to 2933, not default of 2133. Following the guide to "load optimized defaults" reverted the RAM back to 2133. The guide mentions to address this after OC is satisfied. So when satisfied, reset Ai Overclock Tuner back to DOCP to optimize RAM to 2933? I'm a bit of a layman so not sure what to do. Does P-State manage & optimize RAM when needed?

The other is I'm using the stock cooler & concerned overclocking too much might cause overheat issues. In STEP 9, the target for stable 3.9Ghz is 1.3375v. My target was to shoot for something like 3.4Ghz, not knowing how well the stock cooler would handle heat. I have no idea how to find a stable target for 3.4Ghz but I'm new at this forum & it may be listed somewhere here at this forum somewhere (?). I could find no reference in the MB's manual.

Bottom line is I left BIOSAi Tweaker / Ai Overclock Tuner alone, made changes in P-State for 3.4Ghz, made the offset value .11250v (came up with that by lowering exspectations of 1.35v max to 1.3v - 1.1875 = .11250v), did not do "Extreme Tweaker\External Digi+ Power Control" option but did switch to Windows High Performance power management & lowered to 20% as mentioned. All seems stable. I did a short 4k video render & the CPU heat went from 37C to a steady 62C. Without P-State it was 57C doing the same render. HWM said CPU was 3.4Ghz but the overall render speed didn't show much, if any, time improvement.

I'll keep tweaking. Considering a better CPU cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

Joined ltt because of this.  So far it's saving my room/CPU/system tons of heat.  Thanks to everyone for contributing !  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, but what I have figured out you don't need to type any hex values the mobo fix it automatically and it can be done more easily.

It is similar but you don't need a hex calculator for that,

• 1 month later...

Great post, joined to say Thank you! Nice guide, and working just fine :-)
I went for 3.8, with an offset of - 0.04375. Core runs at 1.262 under bench, keeping my max. cpu temp at 62.

Giving me 1691 in Cinebench, and 4672 in cpu-z. Also took a test with IBT, rock solid so far.

Still very new to Ryzen, but very pleased so far.

Hero VI + 1700X + NH-D15 + Flare 3200 + EVGA 750G2

Thanks!

ryzen1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 2:31 PM, JayBee69 said:

Great post, joined to say Thank you! Nice guide, and working just fine :-)
I went for 3.8, with an offset of - 0.04375. Core runs at 1.262 under bench, keeping my max. cpu temp at 62.

Giving me 1691 in Cinebench, and 4672 in cpu-z. Also took a test with IBT, rock solid so far.

Still very new to Ryzen, but very pleased so far.

Hero VI + 1700X + NH-D15 + Flare 3200 + EVGA 750G2

Thanks!

ryzen1.jpg

How did you get a negative offset to work on the 1700x, I put it in manual with negative offset but it still goes to the default 1.35v in the pstate.    That being said I was able to change the VID on the CH6 as of today to get 1.275V at 3.6 and it seems to be stable on Aida64 for 15 mins.

I must say a big thanks to the OP , got my Ryzen 7 1700 running at 3,6Ghz @ 1,14V with the P-State method , so it clocks down at idle nicely too . 

On a Noctua NH-L9x65 cooler , temps never got above 60.C in a ITX case. 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Hi,

I'm a total noob to overclocking so I'm wondering what are the differences and benefits of P-state overclocking vs the steps taken in this video (cpu overclocking starts about 20:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBmVf0S4UDs&t=1721s

Meaning using offset mode with cpu core voltage, setting cpu load line calibration and enabling global C-states?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see anything in the hidden contents. Is firefox problem or something is wrong with this page?

• 1 month later...

who ever rote this article is a legend !!!

i had problems with my overclock not appearing in system and my clock not power saving ! 

after following this i now can see 3.9ghz in my system! and it now drops to low clocks when not being used!

thanks so much :D:D:D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.12.2017 at 5:37 PM, loganj said:

I can't see anything in the hidden contents. Is firefox problem or something is wrong with this page?

Same for me unfortunately. :(

Missing all hidden content. And yes, adblock is deactivated for LTT.

• 6 months later...

Hi, thanks for this informative guide it really helped me overclocking my Ryzen 1700 cpu, I only have one problem if anyone can help. I have followed the guide extensively, with the P state overclocking everything works apart from the core voltage not downclocking. I cant understand why as the core speed drops perfectly but not the voltage and I have tried running high performance and ryzen balanced power plans but nothing changes.

Any help will be appreciated. I enclose a pic of cpu z clearly showing the clock speed downclocking but voltage remaining the same.

My specs are as follows:

Ryzen 1700 

Gigabyte Gaming 3 B350 mobo (latest bios f23d)

16gb Ram 3200mhz

Vega 64

Capture.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2017 at 1:49 PM, RedshiftTheFox said:

Oh. That would explain it. I thought it was the power plan itself being referenced, but I didn't go deep enough into it to find the other settings. I went into AI Suite's Digi+ settings and set CPU and VDSOC to Optimized. Before this, voltage seemed to hover around the 3.95 range, sometimes dropping to 1.32V. With just that Digi+ change, average idle voltage is about 0.8-1.1V, still dips down to 0.4V sometimes and does spike to in the 1.3V range on occasion. Nowhere near the sporadic jumps it was having before, for sure. The clock seems to prefer a low-line speed of 2.2GHz regardless what I tell Windows to do. 

Processor was running about 33°C average before voltage change with a Kraken X62 running fans at 900rpm*. With the same RPM (I don't want to run much lower on the Kraken, it's my primary case air intake) it's running just a few celcius over ambient, which is roughly 20-21°C with average temp, currently, looking like 23-24°C. I may increase the fan speed a little, PCH (which is I understand correctly, is the chipset) is a toasty 47°C. That's probably perfectly fine, though.

I got the Ryzen power plan as well and I'm currently using it, because why not, I guess. 

Thanks for making this post, it really helped me out! I may not have won the silicon lottery, but I can still walk away feeling accomplished.

I have the exact same issue where 3.8GHz is perfectly stable at a fair voltage of 1.38 (still really high but yeah), and 3.85 will cause my monitor to turn off and PC to freeze even up to a brutal 1.5V.

I've tried every which way to overclock to get 3.9. I am going to mess with the LLC more as that is the only piece I didn't know enough to play with before this post.

I agree with someone else that this is the best explained post ever. I will report later today with results!