"Smart Semiconductor Fiber" : a successor to traditionnal optical fiber glass?

Coaxialgamer

LAKE WALES, Fla. -- A semiconducting-core optical-fiber may be able to perform the costly electrical-to-optical-to-electrial conversion passively within itself, rather than depending on expensive electronic-to-optical converters at the transmission end and expensive optical-to-electronic converters at the receivers end.

The invention combines an amorphous silicon core inside a 1.7-micron inner-diameter glass capillary capped at each end with a progression to single-crystal silicon, thus combining the inexpensive amorphous silicon-germanium for the long-run with short runs of single-crystal silicon at its ends. The research is being performed at Penn State (University Park) by Venkatraman Gopalan, professor of materials science and engineering, John Badding, professor of chemistry, physics, and materials science and engineering, along with Xiaoyu Ji, doctoral candidate in materials science and engineering.

rcj_Semiconductor-Fiber_1_1492532614.png

Dumb optical fibers used today merely transmit photons down a glass conduit surrounded by a tough flexible polymer coating. The optimal signals stay within the fiber by reflecting off the glass-to-polymer interfaces for nearly lossless transmissions over long distances. Unfortunately, all the data they convey comes from computers thereby requiring a costly electronics-to-photonics conversion module at the transmission end. Likewise, the receiver is an electronic computer requiring another costly photonics-to-electronics converter at the receiving end. To boot, extra long runs between cities require "repeaters" which use extra-sensitive photonics-to-electronics conversion, then electronic amplification, then extra-strong electronics-to-photonics converters to pass the optical signal to the next repeater (and finally to its destination).

The Penn State researchers hope to develop smart semiconductor-filled fibers with the ability to do the electronics-to-photonics-to-electronics conversions within the fibers itself. The team has not achieved that goal yet, but they have successfully combined all the materials they need into their semiconductor fibers and proven they can transmit both photons and electrons. Next they need to pattern the single-crystal silicon at each end of their fibers to perform the necessary opto-electronics (and visa versa) conversions on-the-fly.

Badding first demonstrated the feasibility using silicon-filled fibers in 2006, but Ji took on his doctoral task to combine high-purity amorphous silicon-germanium around a 1.7 micron glass capillary using a laser. The results are smart single-crystal silicon end caps that are 2000-times longer than they are thick, thus converting the efficiency of Badding's original prototype into a commercially feasible material.

source:http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1331615

The big barrier to a more widespread implementation of optical-based data transmission is cost .

Getting rid of the costly optical-to-electrical converters in traditonnal optical fiber would go a long way towards the ubiquity of photonics in general .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Neat. Though I'm yet to have regular fiber internet connection my self, expansion is so slow >.<

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Very nice.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER