IPS vs TN in slightly competitive gaming

Copy pasted from my reddit post. 

I've narrowed down my choices for an external monitor to get for my laptop MSI 860m Asus Vg248qe vs Dell U2414H 

I play somewhat competitive games like Overwatch
And CSGO

But im sensitive to picture quality since I like to play AAA RPG's and casual games with great graphics like Witcher 3, mass effect andromeda and skyrim with enhanced graphics mods. 

I've seen reviews on both monitors and here is what I found:

Asus VG248QE:
Excellent for gaming
1ms response time and low input lag
BETTER color quality compared to some TN panels of same price like benQ but not better than an IPS panel. 

Dell U2414H :
Excellent picture quality
IPS panel
8ms response time but very low input lag which is good Some reviews even say that for FPS flick shooting games this monitor performs good compared to other IPS panels (can anyone who owns this monitor confirm this) 

My level of "competitiveness" in
Overwatch (currently 3100 diamond SR)
And CSGO(currently master guardian 1)
What I'm trying to say is, I'm not a professional gamer but im better than average... But I want good image quality. 

Should I get the asus one for the faster response time and 144hz(even tho my gpu can't output more than 60hz) Or should I get the Dell U2414H that has better colors with decent response time and low input lag

Why wouldn't your GPU be able to output more than 60Hz?

Get the IPS one if you can, screw response time as it makes no real difference on gaming monitors when comparing TN vs IPS these days. The advertised speeds are not really correct anyway.

(Assuming they are both 144Hz).

Maybe you should get the Dell 2415? It's slightly faster responding and very nice.

I have a EIZO ev2455 which uses the same panel as the 2415 and it's good enough for gaming in my opinion.

If you want to use 144Hz you should also have a good hardware.

If so I would recommend the iiyama ?2488? or even the Samsung Curved C24FG70.

Welcome to the forums!

So that 1/8ms is something you can ignore, you wont notice a difference between the two either way.

Any GPU can output more than 60hz given that it's powerful enough. Which GPU do you have exactly?

144hz is to recommend if you can run it, which you most likely will be able to if we're talking CSGO.

Overwatch is more demanding but depending on which GPU you have I still recommend the VG248QE, I have 3 myself.

21 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Why wouldn't your GPU be able to output more than 60Hz?

Get the IPS one if you can, screw response time as it makes no real difference on gaming monitors when comparing TN vs IPS these days. The advertised speeds are not really correct anyway.

(Assuming they are both 144Hz).

The dell is 60hz, so it's basically 60Hz IPS vs 144Hz TN.

Due to the games he's playing I recommend the 144Hz TN Asus one.

Keep in mind that you'll have to mix around with the settings to get good colors on the Asus, they're way too saturated for my taste.

For gaming in those titles I KNOW you will like the 144Hz more over IPS. Speaking from experience here.

2 years back I was in the same seat.

Edit: (We're basically in the exact same ranks in both games. I'm at 3300 Diamond and MG1 in CSGO!)

When I played on my IPS 5ms 60Hz there was ghosting in CSGO if u really looked for it. So im very sceptical about 8ms.

CSGO is not an eyecandy game so TN 1ms 144Hz is perfectly fine with increased digital vibrance.

If u must have nice colours then get the IPS and experience little ghosting or increase your budget because in your budget none of the 144Hz TN panels provide nice colours (they are all washed out according to many reviews from people who are used to using IPS panels).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just now, MVPernula said:

The dell is 60hz, so it's basically 60Hz IPS vs 144Hz TN.

Due to the games he's playing I recommend the 144Hz TN Asus one.

Yea, 144Hz TN is better for what he wants then.

I think he will be sorry if he goes with the TN one because like he said, he likes to play other games not just CS:GO.

MAIN BUILD!

40 minutes ago, Snazzeh said:

Copy pasted from my reddit post. 

I've narrowed down my choices for an external monitor to get for my laptop MSI 860m Asus Vg248qe vs Dell U2414H 

I play somewhat competitive games like Overwatch
And CSGO

But im sensitive to picture quality since I like to play AAA RPG's and casual games with great graphics like Witcher 3, mass effect andromeda and skyrim with enhanced graphics mods. 

I've seen reviews on both monitors and here is what I found:

Asus VG248QE:
Excellent for gaming
1ms response time and low input lag
BETTER color quality compared to some TN panels of same price like benQ but not better than an IPS panel. 

Dell U2414H :
Excellent picture quality
IPS panel
8ms response time but very low input lag which is good Some reviews even say that for FPS flick shooting games this monitor performs good compared to other IPS panels (can anyone who owns this monitor confirm this) 

My level of "competitiveness" in
Overwatch (currently 3100 diamond SR)
And CSGO(currently master guardian 1)
What I'm trying to say is, I'm not a professional gamer but im better than average... But I want good image quality. 

Should I get the asus one for the faster response time and 144hz(even tho my gpu can't output more than 60hz) Or should I get the Dell U2414H that has better colors with decent response time and low input lag

The response time and input lag are pretty much irrelevant, the main consideration is between 60 Hz and 144 Hz. I don't see why your GPU would be limited to 60 Hz. If your laptop doesn't have DisplayPort output though it will limit your options since not all 144 Hz monitors will do more than 60 Hz over HDMI, and laptops don't have Dual-Link DVI.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

The response time and input lag are pretty much irrelevant, the main consideration is between 60 Hz and 144 Hz. I don't see why your GPU would be limited to 60 Hz. If your laptop doesn't have DisplayPort output though it will limit your options since not all 144 Hz monitors will do more than 60 Hz over HDMI, and laptops don't have Dual-Link DVI.

It is as you said, my laptop only has hdmi and vga outputs sadly

20 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

The VG248QE only goes up to 60 Hz over HDMI, you may want to consider the ViewSonic XG2401 instead, it can go up to 144 Hz over HDMI.

Isn't the HDMI port itself capped to 60hz? My laptop only has an HDMI 1.4 out btw

I have the Dell U2414H, and it's one of the best IPS panels i've ever seen. I find it much better in quality, than those 700€+ 1440p / 144 Hz 27" panels from AOC right now.

Dell might have 8ms on spec sheet, but this data is worthless ³.

You need to measure it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm#lag

They came to a total Input Lag of 4 ms. Which is excellent. This is just like most latest TN panels have, that come with 1ms on spec sheet ;) Like the Dell S2716dg: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm#lag

So yea.. You can ignore "response time" completely.

60 Hz vs. 144 Hz is what will make the difference.

And CS:GO benefits from 144 Hz like no other. Overwatch also benefits from a higher Refresh rate.

6 hours ago, Darkseth said:

I have the Dell U2414H, and it's one of the best IPS panels i've ever seen. I find it much better in quality, than those 700€+ 1440p / 144 Hz 27" panels from AOC right now.

Dell might have 8ms on spec sheet, but this data is worthless ³.

You need to measure it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm#lag

They came to a total Input Lag of 4 ms. Which is excellent. This is just like most latest TN panels have, that come with 1ms on spec sheet ;) Like the Dell S2716dg: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm#lag

So yea.. You can ignore "response time" completely.

60 Hz vs. 144 Hz is what will make the difference.

And CS:GO benefits from 144 Hz like no other. Overwatch also benefits from a higher Refresh rate.

Do you play csgo/overwatch? Can you say it will affect you're performance in game significantly? Or will you experience differences but not necessarily affect performance in game

Not more than basic casual. And CS:GO not (although i have it...).

Can't say if your performance would be better. But for many, their KDA improved a good bit. Or others, where they raised a division up or something like that.

If your reflexes are fast enough to make decisions in splitseconds, you WILL benefit from it. Higher refresh rate = you see more images per second.

On a 60 Hz Monitor, every 16,67 ms a new Image will be shown. If anything happens after 10 ms, you will see this 6,67 ms too late.

144 Hz will be every 6,944 ms.

Also, input Lag will be better, because you can see stuff earlier.

So, if your skills are potato level, you probably won't get better. if you are good, 144 Hz will definitely Help your performance. You just need the skills and reflexes to benefit from that.

In every case, motions WILL look much smoother and cleaner. 

Difficult to describe.. Just test it out, i promise, you will NOT be disappointed (not in CS:GO or Overwatch for sure)

here's a video comparing two budget monitors, one IPS 60hz one TN 144hz. Hope this helps