ASUS MG279Q vs PG279Q

xMLxDefault

I want to upgrade my current monitor to an ips 1440p 144hz and came down to the options between asus mg279q and pg279q. 

My current graphics card is ASUS gtx 1080ti o11g.

My question is how much benefit would I gain from G-Sync and if pg279q is actually worth the $250 difference.

It's subjective. Personally, the PG279Q was definitely worth it just for the G-Sync.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I got the mg279q and it is great, I do not see any jitters or stutters that g-sync supposedly fixes (but that could be me). As I will be getting a second identical monitor I opted for the cheaper version to save me some bucks in the future. I play games like BF1 & PUBG btw.

But for 200-300 extra bucks you get a more ROG themed style, a little thinner bezels and the G-sync/3D vision.  

Both are dope af

14 hours ago, SwervinPersian said:

I got the mg279q and it is great, I do not see any jitters or stutters that g-sync supposedly fixes (but that could be me). As I will be getting a second identical monitor I opted for the cheaper version to save me some bucks in the future. I play games like BF1 & PUBG btw.

But for 200-300 extra bucks you get a more ROG themed style, a little thinner bezels and the G-sync/3D vision.  

Both are dope af

I'm also leaning toward mg279q but want to be certain that I won't regret for cheaping out. 

Adaptive refresh rates are amazing, and you really need to try it out. Personally I'd try for the PG348Q, but that's likely to be more expensive.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

59 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Adaptive refresh rates are amazing, and you really need to try it out. Personally I'd try for the PG348Q, but that's likely to be more expensive.

Thanks for the recommendation but I think I'll still stick with 27" for my desk is too small. xD

There're still a few months till my upgrade and I'm still considering pg279q.

On 4/20/2017 at 2:13 AM, xMLxDefault said:

I want to upgrade my current monitor to an ips 1440p 144hz and came down to the options between asus mg279q and pg279q. 

My current graphics card is ASUS gtx 1080ti o11g.

My question is how much benefit would I gain from G-Sync and if pg279q is actually worth the $250 difference.

With a 1080ti GSync will gain you absolutely NOTHING.  It is meant for situations when you can't maintain a reasonable framerate, which with a 1080ti you can get 120fps+ in any game on max settings at 1440p...

HOWEVER, the PG279Q is worth every penny more than the MG279Q.  Why?  One acronym: ULMB.

Running ULMB is the backlight flashing that clears frames after they are drawn, it means that you eliminate motion blur and everything looks crisp and clean.  It limits you to 120hz rather than 144/165, but frankly 120hz + ULMB looks and feels MUCH better than running a higher FPS.  The MG279Q doesn't have ULMB and that's why it's cheaper.

Don't skimp, get the PG279Q.  I had a Korean panel with a true overclock to 110hz and after going to the PG279Q it was like night and day playing online games, it's sooooo much better.  Trust me, best gaming monitor on the market hands down.

On 2017/4/21 at 9:47 PM, aithos said:

With a 1080ti GSync will gain you absolutely NOTHING.  It is meant for situations when you can't maintain a reasonable framerate, which with a 1080ti you can get 120fps+ in any game on max settings at 1440p...

HOWEVER, the PG279Q is worth every penny more than the MG279Q.  Why?  One acronym: ULMB.

Running ULMB is the backlight flashing that clears frames after they are drawn, it means that you eliminate motion blur and everything looks crisp and clean.  It limits you to 120hz rather than 144/165, but frankly 120hz + ULMB looks and feels MUCH better than running a higher FPS.  The MG279Q doesn't have ULMB and that's why it's cheaper.

Don't skimp, get the PG279Q.  I had a Korean panel with a true overclock to 110hz and after going to the PG279Q it was like night and day playing online games, it's sooooo much better.  Trust me, best gaming monitor on the market hands down.

Thanks for the clarification! PG279Q is definitely on the top of the list now! ;)