Which of these monitors is better for me?

JamieBritain101

Hi,

I'm a student who is looking for a new 1080p 27" monitor. I'm not a gamer but enjoy video editing.

I'm currently stuck between these 2 monitors: the Samsung C27F396 and the HP 27es (or HP 27er depending on territory). I like the Samsung because it's curved and the HP because it's Technicolor Certified (not sure if that's something genuinely useful or just marketing hype). The 2 things I need from the monitor are for it to be good for video editing and document processing for courseworks etc.

Both monitors are similar in price around the 250 USD mark, but if anyone has any suggestions they feel are better than these two, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

the Technicolor Certified thing is basically telling you that the monitor can do Technicolor sRGB color gamut and is already calibrated to do so. but you can change to your color gamuts/profiles to your liking. 

4 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

the Technicolor Certified thing is basically telling you that the monitor can do Technicolor sRGB color gamut and is already calibrated to do so. but you can change to your color gamuts/profiles to your liking. 

Not because you gave the monitor certification?

The HP 27er (or 27es?) is pretty nice. It's what I'm using right now. It's decently sharp, though 27" is about the biggest you want a 1080p monitor. The colors are good, and the design is very well done. When first opened the box, I was struck by how thin the actual screen is, and the skinny bezels are quite nice. A+ for HP!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

24 minutes ago, JamieBritain101 said:

Well I think if you are into video editing the main thing to consider is the Processor, a good monitor can do nothing unless you have invested in a multicore CPU.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K, Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 2 x 8GB GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X, Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5

Storage: WD Blue 1TB, Samsund 850 EVO 250 GB, PSU: Corsair RM 750X, Display(s): BenQ BL2710PT: Cooling: Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power

Mouse: Gamdias DEMETER II- 3200DPI Gaming Mouse, Operating System: Windows 8.1

2 minutes ago, steve-kon said:

Well I think if you are into video editing the main thing to consider is the Processor, a good monitor can do nothing unless you have invested in a multicore CPU.

Not quite sure if you're trying to just be a troll or not but that's hardly related to a question about what monitor to get. I already have an HP Z series workstation, this was purely a monitor related question.

Just now, JamieBritain101 said:

Not quite sure if you're trying to just be a troll or not but that's hardly related to a question about what monitor to get. I already have an HP Z series workstation, this was purely a monitor related question.

Damn, I wasn't being a troll, you haven't specified your build specs so I just said the obvious. But why a 1080p monior? For the price I saw for the Samsung monitor you could get a 2K IPS monitor from BenQ.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K, Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 2 x 8GB GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X, Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5

Storage: WD Blue 1TB, Samsund 850 EVO 250 GB, PSU: Corsair RM 750X, Display(s): BenQ BL2710PT: Cooling: Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power

4 minutes ago, steve-kon said:

Damn, I wasn't being a troll, you haven't specified your build specs so I just said the obvious.

But what you said was completely off topic and unrelated. He probably already has a nice CPU for video rendering. Even if he didn't, that's not the point. He was simply asking which monitor to get.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

But what you said was completely off topic and unrelated. He probably already has a nice CPU for video rendering. Even if he didn't, that's not the point. He was simply asking which monitor to get.

Asking if he has the CPU for his work is off-topic? Then I must be a troll.

Just now, steve-kon said:

Asking if he has the CPU for his work is off-topic? Then I must be a troll.

Yes, it is. He asked which monitor to get. Not if his rig was good for rendering.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Yes, it is. He asked which monitor to get. Not if his rig was good for rendering.

As I said i'm just at troll.

Just now, steve-kon said:

As I said i'm just at troll.

???

I never said you were a troll. I just said that your comment was off topic

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540