User-made patch allows for Windows 7 and 8.1 users to install updates on Kaby Lake and Ryzen

Nowak

no-more-windows-7-updates-100714556-larg

Sauce: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/user-made-patch-lets-owners-of-next-gen-cpus-install-updates-on-windows-7-andamp-8-1/

GitHub user Zeffy has created a patch that removes a limitation that Microsoft imposed on users of 7th generation processors, a limit that prevents users from receiving Windows updates if they still use Windows 7 and 8.1.

This limitation was delivered through Windows Update KB4012218 (March 2017 Patch Tuesday) and has made many owners of Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Bristol Ridge CPUs very angry last week, as they weren't able to install any Windows updates.

Basically: Microsoft blocks Windows updates if you're using Windows 7 or 8.1 on Kaby Lake and Ryzen. Users get mad and look for a workaround. People have found that workaround.

Microsoft's move was controversial, but the company did its due diligence, and warned customers of its intention since January 2016, giving users enough time to update to Windows 10, move to a new OS, or downgrade their CPU, if they needed to remain on Windows 7 or 8.1 for various reasons.

When the April 2017 Patch Tuesday came around last week, GitHub user Zeffy finally had the chance to test four batch scripts he created in March, after the release of KB4012218.

What this script does is explained here:

His scripts worked as intended by patching Windows DLL files, skipping the CPU version check, and delivering updates to Windows 7 and 8.1 computers running 7th generation CPUs.

It skips several checks that Microsoft added to Windows in the last Patch Tuesday, allowing Windows 7 and 8.1 to continue to receive updates on Kaby Lake and Ryzen. This was done by reverse engineering the update KB4012218.

According to Zeffy's README file, he created the four batch scripts by reverse engineering the KB4012218 Windows Update, and comparing versions of the new files with the ones already on his PC.

By running a simple diff operation on these files, he was able to discover two new functions "IsCPUSupported(void)" and "IsDeviceServiceable(void)" inside the March 2017 version of wuaueng.dll, delivered through KB4012218.

But how does this do what it does? It's simple. It sets those two flags to 1, which means "supported CPU".

Zeffy's scripts patch this DLL file and make the two functions output "1", which translates to "supported CPU." This, in turn, starts the update procedure, delivering new security updates to users Microsoft wanted to block.

However, there's a downside. This script must be run again whenever Microsoft patches wuaueng.dll.

"The only downside of these solutions is you have to apply a new patch whenever wuaueng.dll gets updated," says Zeffy in his GitHub repo README. Fortunately, the entire task doesn't take long to complete.

If you want to try this out yourself, then I'd suggest creating a system restore point and back up the original wuaueng.dll file first. The fact that this was done in just a month shows that there's a lot of truth to "when there's a will, there's a way", and the persistence needed to get to that point. Now, what I want to know is, how long until Microsoft patches this out again?

6 minutes ago, Daring said:

Now, what I want to know is, how long until Microsoft patches this out again?

That's what I've been thinking about since reading about this yesterday...  Probably the easiest way for Microsoft to implement something will be to just change how the CPU is checked into looking at a key written on the BIOS (maybe based on the chipset on the motherboard).

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

lets hope microsoft wasn't feeling evil and put updates in that if you run new updates in win 7 + 8.1 they will slowly corrupt your data.

let 7 die. 

8.1 is alright. 

7 was built for systems in a time where we didn't have PCHs, we didn't have DDR4, etc. 

The more people hold on to the antiquated piece of shit that 7 is, the more issues MS has with maintaining it and keeping it up to date

7 is now older than XP was when Vista released, let that sink in. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

let 7 die. 

8.1 is alright. 

7 was built for systems in a time where we didn't have PCHs, we didn't have DDR4, etc. 

The more people hold on to the antiquated piece of shit that 7 is, the more issues MS has with maintaining it and keeping it up to date

Upvoted for the best satire post ever. Thanks for the good laugh dude.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

It will take Microsoft about 5 minutes to fix it. Heck I can work out a solution to fix this.

Add the hardware check in at the kernel level and make the DLL fetch to return from the kernel instead of running the check itself. You wanna bypass it at a kernel level you literally have to tell your OS your running an entirely different CPU and I don't know about you guys but I certainly wouldn't let any user made patch any where near my HAL.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, 69ing Rainbow Dash said:

Upvoted for the best satire post ever. Thanks for the good laugh dude.

What? It's not a bad operating system, it's significantly more modern than 7 under the hood, being built for modern hardware, and it's better than 8 (remember having to go right into the bottom corner for the start screen? Old times.)

idk

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I would have thought the script just faked a skylake CPU or some other "supported" CPU.

Its not that easy, to fake the CPU (properly and not just changing the text in the ui) requires hacking and patching the HAL and KERNEL as the CPU is determined by the KERNEL using microcode and is reported back to the HAL to be passed to the OS. You'd have to hack the kernel and fake the microcode. Not an easy task.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

let 7 die. 

8.1 is alright. 

You realize that PCH has been around since the early 2000's and that an OS really doesn't care what kind of ram is in a system right? The only thing the newer OS' have over 7 is better initial support (I.E. No drivers) and the ability to run the same OS installation on multiple computers. Until 7 stops getting updates then it will be about as good as the new Windows. Shit Vista SP2 is still a very solid OS that has about as good security and performance.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

It will take Microsoft about 5 minutes to fix it. Heck I can work out a solution to fix this.

Add the hardware check in at the kernel level and make the DLL fetch to return from the kernel instead of running the check itself. You wanna bypass it at a kernel level you literally have to tell your OS your running an entirely different CPU and I don't know about you guys but I certainly wouldn't let any user made patch any where near my HAL.

Run Clover bootloader, fake that you're running a 6700k instead of 7700k, problem solved. 

FakeCPUID is helpful shit. 

idk

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Its not that easy, to fake the CPU (properly and not just changing the text in the ui) requires hacking and patching the HAL and KERNEL as the CPU is determined by the KERNEL using microcode and is reported back to the HAL to be passed to the OS. You'd have to hack the kernel and fake the microcode. Not an easy task.

You could also hack the CPUID, but I think Intel locks this down harder than Fort Knox.

Windows 7 was awesome... but nowadays being soo damn easy to customize the Windows 10 to still be, look and act like 7 there simply is no reason to keep insisting on it.

Telemetry can be disable and stop thinking you're so damn important that Microsoft is dying of interest to see what you do on your desktop :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Droidbot said:

Run Clover bootloader, fake that you're running a 6700k instead of 7700k, problem solved. 

FakeCPUID is helpful shit. 

You know what, I can't believe that escaped me. I'm a huge hackintosher, have been running hack since the Chimera days and yep, you can quite easily intercept the  CPU ID at boot using Clover.

That actually fixes everything in one easy job lot, Windows thinks your running a Skylake with no need to hack or patch anything.

Damn that's really clever.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Really sad seeing Microsoft sabotage their own operating systems

They are not sabotaging anything, Win 7 is perfectly functional with its intended hardware, this is named "progress".... a forceful one yes but one nonetheless.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You could also hack the CPUID, but I think Intel locks this down harder than Fort Knox.

Yeah, except during the handover from bootloader to Windows where it can be intercepted and changed, its a trick Hackintoshers use.

See droidbots post.

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

They are not sabotaging anything, Win 7 is perfectly functional with its intended hardware, this is named "progress".... a forceful one yes but one nonetheless.

I can't run Windows 98 on my Ryzen system. Clearly AMD and Microsoft are in cahoots to make me use Windows 10.

14 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Uh, you know that Vista was the next consumer Windows OS after XP, right?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Companies are being manipulated to not produce drivers for certain OS'es that is some heavy asshole shit right there. 

Windows 10 is such a fucking spyware/malware/adware bloatware alltogheter, performance hog, invasing dog shit, its impossible to use it anymore, up to anniversary update w10 has been alright id say but anniversary and especially creators update really went too far. Such level of data spying is unheard of, maybe google and apple collect data aswell but not on this level and certainly not at an OS/file /keystroke level.

1 minute ago, Hunter259 said:

You realize that PCH has been around since the early 2000's and that an OS really doesn't care what kind of ram is in a system right? The only thing the newer OS' have over 7 is better initial support (I.E. No drivers) and the ability to run the same OS installation on multiple computers. Until 7 stops getting updates then it will be about as good as the new Windows. Shit Vista SP2 is still a very solid OS that has about as good security and performance.

In the form of chipset/north-southbridge, yes. But that's not PCH, just chipset. 

Older Intel archs used north-southbridge, where PCH rolled that into one chip. Intel keeps moving the clock and integral components around. 

Even at this point they're phasing out PCH in favour of making the entire chip do everything, in sort of an SoC type fashion. Stuff like voltage reg, etc isn't on the chip and instead on a seperate part of the board, but you get the point. 

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

Uh, you know that Vista was the next consumer Windows OS after XP, right?

yeah I know, but vista was delayed, scrapped, smashed around, belted, etc. whereas microsoft have pushed out a consumer OS for every 3 years since 2010

idk

2 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

win 7 opensource edition would be amazing 

i guess you could consider ReactOS as that, but i still appareantly am unable to install it properly o.O

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It also works perfectly fine with newer hardware so long as microsoft doesn't intentionally block it like in this case

1 minute ago, linustouchtips said:

win 7 opensource edition would be amazing 

It is exactly what I want, or linux with some windows features and the ability to run windows programs

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You know what, I can't believe that escaped me. I'm a huge hackintosher, have been running hack since the Chimera days and yep, you can quite easily intercept the  CPU ID at boot using Clover.

That actually fixes everything in one easy job lot, Windows thinks your running a Skylake with no need to hack or patch anything.

Damn that's really clever.

Clover's a helpful tool for me, I've been fiddling around with it as of late using it for DSDT overrides (256MB large memory for external GPU), and it's definitely an idea to abuse it for this sort of task. 

0x0506E3 is the Skylake key for it according to TMx86

idk

Just now, AresKrieger said:

with some windows features and the ability to run windows programs

wine is coming a surprisingly long way, the main issue being that it's not "supported" so any potential program-sided bugs are essentially SoL.