4K TV for Gaming

xXATHERIALXx

So in my current setup my main screen is a 32'' 1080p TV and i wanted to upgrade to 4K. i was thinking getting a 4K TV because they are cheaper is there any reason i should get a 4K monitor instead?

Yes there is because 4k TVs like the Sony XBR43X800D's Motionflow XR 240 just guess what's in between the frames instead of giving you an accurate representation of what's happening.

I'm an expert in let's see.... 

NOTHING!

Oh well. My PC  DREAM MACHINE

13 minutes ago, xXATHERIALXx said:

So in my current setup my main screen is a 32'' 1080p TV and i wanted to upgrade to 4K. i was thinking getting a 4K TV because they are cheaper is there any reason i should get a 4K monitor instead?

Linus did a video on NCIX Tech tips, for a TV vs monitor. The gist of it is that a TV is better for a more story based, slower paced game, and a monitor is better for FPS or other fighting games.

7 minutes ago, maxwellbelove said:

Yes and no 4k looks good but is really hard to run you need a 1070 or 1080 etc

Agree here^^^

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

a 4k tv can be a decent gaming display. but you have to note on a few things:

- input lag

- 4:4:4 chroma subsampling support (for desktop use) 

- and if TV supports HDR, allow you to use HDR in Game Mode without much additional input lag

- ability to disable motion blur clarity / judder reduction options ('soap opera effect') 

the KS8000 is a good gaming TV. 

11 hours ago, xXATHERIALXx said:

I had the same question some time ago, and my advice for you is;

First, what type of games are you looking to play, fps, story mode,?

Second, are you a casual gamer? Or are you looking to take your gaming in to a serious stage?

Third, if you have a chance to try a high refresh monitor try it and see what makes you feel more comfortable.

I'm my own experience I stayed with the Tv, cause after  12hrs of work I find more comfortable sitting in my couch, than those gaming chairs, yes I tried a whole set up at a friend's house desk and chair, but I play for fun only, so to me a high refresh monitor is not that necessary, now I had luck with my Tv, cause I bought it without any research (black friday specials) and it gives me 60hz, 10 ms response time, and it feels like a pretty decent gaming experience, my Tv is  Vizio P02ui 60" 

I'll leave a video of me playing that's Gears of war 4 @1440p high settings you can see on the right lower corner how I get those constant 60fps, card is a gtx 970 from msi with a core i7 4790k everything running at stock speeds, if you check my channel the cs,go videos are from a friend whose playing on a 120hz monitor  with the same hardware I don't know if you can see the difference