RX 480 Cards Can be Flashed to RX 580

Cela1
34 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Nobody with any sense would upgrade from a 480 to a 580 anyway, or 470->570.

I might upgrade my 7770 to a 570 :) 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

34 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I have a dual BIOS card. I'll probably do it tomorrow if I have time.

If you do this, you should record the thermals from the card and also see if you can 'overclock' the new BIOS based OC of the card...  Would be kind of interesting to see how stable this really is and how much headroom you gain on the BIOS flash over a factory 580.

5 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

If you do this, you should record the thermals from the card and also see if you can 'overclock' the new BIOS based OC of the card...  Would be kind of interesting to see how stable this really is and how much headroom you gain on the BIOS flash over a factory 580.

I lost the silicon lottery (at least I think so; I suspect I have bad wiring in my house because I keep getting burnt power strips) so I doubt I will have any OC headroom. I'll still give it a try.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I already know my card can fairly easily hit 1400Mhz so I'll try this when I get confirmation it works on the Armor cards.

47 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

True, but i'm saying for people doing new builds it'd make more sense to just get a cheap 480 and flash it.

The 480 isn't cheaper, and you might have issues with power delivery. 

I'm sure things can go wrong, since RX 500 series use refined process so.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

29 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

He has an XFX RS cooler which is much worse than the GTR that I have. All he did was flash the BIOS and hasn't done any extensive game testing. He said he was going to so keep and eye out for that. His temps and noise levels are going to go through the roof. Buying a "cheap" 480 with the intention of flashing it onto a 580 is dumb. There's a reason the only 480s that came with the 580-type clocks were the GTR, Nitro, Strix and MSI Gaming. Hell, Sapphire had to make the Nitro 580 cooler bigger to handle those clock speeds.

Well I guess now people have a reason to buy 580s instead of 480s. Even the 580 costs less than any of those cards

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

looks neat might try if there's a 4GB bios around, although not much point as my 480 is at 1350mhz already.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

1 hour ago, GrantW said:

I will wait on more news about this before possibly doing mine.

(If its safe, fail/success chance etc). Do not want to risk 200 quids worth for a bit of extra power... :P 

Thats a sensible thing to do.  Do you belong here?

cause we're more "Moar powah, pennies from heaven, party on Wayne" types here as evidenced by:

CTmWg3b.gif

Im totally going to do this. Maybe Ill be able to push past the 0.05 barrier I cant hit to get 1.5GHz

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

If your 400 series card has won the silicon lottery, you probably have most of the process improvements on the chip already and will therefore be fine with the increased clock speed.

However I doubt you'll get the new memory power state (quite sure it's a hardware feature). Probably won't matter for the majority of people though.

2 hours ago, N1ghtshade said:

Rip AMD... looks like everyone's gonna be flashing their 480s instead of buying the RX5XX series :P

AMD didnt plan to sell a 580 to someone who owns a 480. and once the stock of 480s are goine this isnt going to be much of a problem either

2 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Flashed my old 290 to a 390 a couple years back. Slight performance increase at the cost of more heat output. Flashed it back to stock. ;) 

Brother has a 290x on a custom loop, but it artifacts if you breathe on the core clock or memory clock, so probably wouldn't help...

27 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

AMD didnt plan to sell a 580 to someone who owns a 480. and once the stock of 480s are goine this isnt going to be much of a problem either

Read my other posts. I wasn't talking about upgrading I was talking about new builds.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Iirc, it doesn't. I know the XFX and Nitro cards do.

He has an XFX RS cooler which is much worse than the GTR that I have.

How is the minimal temperature difference between those coolers going to matter that much anyway? It's not worth flashing it with either cooler. "Dirty RS peasant! I have a GTR cooler!" is what I envision from this exchange. People should just be buying 480s cheap for the sake of getting them cheap. The performance difference is marginal since the cards boost fine on their own anyway.

Flashing the card from a RX480 to RX580 is stupid. What happened to old the days when you can buy a consumer AMD card and then flash it into one of their more expensive workstation FirePro or FireGL. Now that's a bios that's worth flashing.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Soonercoop21 said:

How is the minimal temperature difference between those coolers going to matter that much anyway? It's not worth flashing it with either cooler. "Dirty RS peasant! I have a GTR cooler!" is what I envision from this exchange. People should just be buying 480s cheap for the sake of getting them cheap. The performance difference is marginal since the cards boost fine on their own anyway.

85c is a minimal difference from 67c? Whatever dumb things you envision are a personal issue. The RS has a worse heatsink than the nitro 480.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

85c is a minimal difference from 67c? Whatever dumb things you envision are a personal issue. The RS has a worse heatsink than the nitro 480.

Nitros heatsink isnt bad when you win the lottery

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Nitros heatsink isnt bad when you win the lottery

It's still not desirable. The nitro 580 is what the nitro 480 should have been (I made a thread in the graphics section). The problem with the nitro was that the small heatsink meant you had to make a trade-off between temps and noise. And the RS heatsink is worse.

4 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

RX470->RX570 for free? :D 

How tempting...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, ivan134 said:

It's still not desirable. The nitro 580 is what the nitro 480 should have been (I made a thread in the graphics section). The problem with the nitro was that the small heatsink meant you had to make a trade-off between temps and noise. And the RS heatsink is worse.

I wonder if I could buy a nitro 580 cooler and slap it on my card, although I never go above 70c even at 1.495

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

I wonder if I could buy a nitro 580 cooler and slap it on my card, although I never go above 70c even at 1.495

Get an Arctic Accelero, it is MUCH better

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402